300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a LEO's locker

I'm editing a paragraph in my novel that's about items in a locker. I've done the google search & watched a couple of vids. The scene is one of my LEO's has been killed on duty. The day Sergeant has had 2 people volunteer to help clear the locker -- 1 will identify, 1 will bag, the Sergeant will watch. I don't know if this is really how it's done but this is fiction.

The fictional city is in NY, pop. 80k +/-, era 1995-2005. I've included the years as I'm sure there's loads of changes with equipment. This is what I have at the moment & am wondering if there's anything else I should include. I added the blue pens and Vicks after reading a 'Rookie' post in here.

Alph never kept much on site. Two shirts, a jacket, one pair of trousers on hangers, one small grey towel on a hook attached to the inside middle. The bottom had an extra pair of boots with socks inside, two boxes of duty ammo, a thickly papered General Orders folder and the old style radio holder. The top had a handful of the snapping belt keepers, handful of flexcuffs, a lint roller, five department issue notebooks (black), three click pens (blue), plastic blue jar of Vicks. A small cream colored drawstring bag held travel sized toothbrush and paste, comb, deodorant along with some aspirin, eye drops, partial used bar of gold Dial soap, and a packet of cold meds. The only item proving the locker actually belonged to a female was the half used box of tampons.

I've had lockers available to me in both of my departments, and I've rarely used them, especially like I see in the movies/TV shows. Years ago, I kept my old policy manual in it, but since I always dressed at home, there were never any clothing items in it. I have a lockable cabinet area for me right now in addition to a locker, and I don't even use it.

I know there have to be departments out there where they prepare for work at the station, so officers from those types of departments will be of help to you. Even so, as a writer, the contents of a LEO's locker is anything you can imagine. The sky's the limit due to it containing clothing items, to objects found over time, to unused presents, to extra equipment like flashlights and batteries, to religious/good luck charms, to issued equipment/manuals not used, etc etc etc.

To add, since I have a take home unit, I keep all of my schtuff in it - personal and issued.

Comment

• 1Redhawk
      1Redhawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Yes in my book most of my characters complete their dressing at the station. An aside by this character to the main character speaks of it's safer to never leave home fully dressed in uniform. Trousers and steelies but a regular shirt which is why I have 2 shirts in the locker. The 2nd shirt, trousers, & boots are backups for quick changes if anything happens to what they're wearing at the time.

I will include a flashlight and a charm of some sort. Could you please give me a couple of examples of issued equipment? Thanks

Agreed, the only lockers I’ve seen have been on TV.

Comment

A cigar box with an assortment of items donated by clientele, like knives and such…a lot of knives
      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

My patrol bag, my active shooter kit, my M4 carbine.

Edited: And a boot shining kit and lint roller.

I didn't keep an extra uniform in my locker, as I lived in the area I worked, so I could just go home to change if I needed to.

And I took my vest and boots home to air out instead of leaving them outside my locker, but that was just me.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 08-02-2022, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• 1Redhawk
        1Redhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info. I do have the Sergeant mention the patrol bag and vest were in her car as she was on her way to a shift when she's killed. I didn't know about a shooter kit but I'll include that too.

Could I ask what's inside an active shooter kit, please? I don't need for the Sergeant to give contents details to the other LEO's, I'm just curious.

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        An active shooter kit would not have been a common thing for a patrol officer during the time frame you mentioned, nor would the M4.

An active shooter kit is a plate carrier containing front and rear rigid armor plates designed to defeat rifle fire, as well as magazine pouches on the front to carry several 30-round AR-15 magazines (typically 3 mags), a BOK (Blow Out Kit) to stop major bleeds, several combat tourniquets rubber-banded where they would be easy to reach, "penny cutter" trauma shears, stuff like that. The plate carrier would have "POLICE" on the front and back, and even if it has a pocket for a water pouch on the back, it would typically not carry any drinking water- we're going to kill a bad guy right now, not go on a camping trip for the weekend.

In 1995, a department-owned Remington 870 pump-action 12-gauge riot-style shotgun with an 18" barrel would be MUCH more common than an M4, or any AR really, and it wouldn't be kept in the officer's locker. It may have either wood furniture, or black synthetic. And it would be pretty beat up.

By 2005, a very basic A2-type 16" AR-15 carbine would have been more common. No scope, no light, no rail, maybe not even a sling.

Hookers and Blow.

Comment

We have half lockers in our squad room, and another half locker in our sally port. We have take home cars so most of the stuff you might keep in a locker we keep in our cars. I also rarely go into the office, I work out of my car unless I’m working nights and nobody else is around…. If you work nights you spend about half your shift as the only unit on duty.

In my squad room locker right now are a folder with my court subpoenas, a folder with copies of training applications I’ve submitted, three cans of Chef Boyardee, a bag of beef jerky, some Belvita Breakfast Biscuits, a shoeshine kit, a pistol cleaning kit, a coffee mug with spare pens, some extra Mountain Dew and Gatorade I can throw in the squad room refrigerator when I drink the ones that are in there already, and a Bluetooth speaker I can use to play music off my phone when no one else is around.

I don’t think there’s anything in my sallyport locker, it’s intended for when we have to drop off out take-home cars for maintenance or when we go on vacation we can put our valuable issue gear in the locker: MDT, rifle, Radar, etc.

. I know there have to be departments out there where they prepare for work at the station,
        A larger but still small department next door has really nice locker rooms in their HQ building. They also have take home cars, and I don’t think anybody uses their locker rooms regularly. Every time I’ve been over there at shift change their guys show up in uniform.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-01-2022, 11:22 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• 1Redhawk
          1Redhawk commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for these. I will include a folder with the court subpoenas and the cleaning kits.

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          We did not keep subpoenas in our lockers- that would have been a real no-no. Out of sight, out of mind. Subpoenas typically get handed off from one shift to the next, so that other officers are able to serve them even when we're off.

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          Presumably, tanksoldier is talking about his own subpoenas, not the ones that need to be served.

Yeah, I forgot the boot shining kit. That's an important one.
        Last edited by Aidokea; 08-02-2022, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Do you need to know the contents of a patrol bag?

Comment

• 1Redhawk
            1Redhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, please. Thank you. And thank you for letting me know my timeframe wouldn't have a shooter kit. And now I'm confused about the subpoenas. Would they be those the officer would've gotten for court appearances they would testify at? If yes I could work that in as a cross reference option.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            I may need to go back and edit this post if I remember more stuff, but I carried a box of XL-sized rubber gloves, my long reversible (black/yellow) rain slicker, telescoping stroller meter, aluminum clipboard containing four ticket books (driving infractions, driving crimes, non-driving criminal summons, and parking infractions), a large old-style Mag Light flashlight (as a backup to the little LED flashlight on my duty belt and/or as a heavy metal thing to carry into large angry crowds at night), yellow grease markers for marking tires or vehicle windows, spare batteries for everything, tint meter, accordian-pleated plastic file containing several copies of the countless different forms that we need to do our job (Miranda forms, consent to search forms, property/evidence forms, citizen's arrest forms, criminal trespass forms, a multitude of forms relating to DUI enforcement, abandoned vehicle stickers, and on, and on, and on), nine more loaded 30 round mags for my M4, tape measure, orange cone to put on the Mag Light flash light to direct traffic with, reflectorized traffic safety vest, map book, emergency water bottle and snack bar, sun block, yellow crime scene tape, fingerprint cards, fingerprint dusting kit (dust, brush, and tape), various sizes of evidence bags, Sharpie, department-issued evidence photo camera, and probably some other stuff I'm not remembering right now because I haven't thought about it since my last day on the road over 4 years ago.
            Last edited by Aidokea; 08-03-2022, 01:24 AM.

I knew a guy in the 80's who always kept 5 grand in a gym bag in case his wife decided to clear out the bank account and leave him.

There might be a small mirror on the inside of the door or a picture or two of a significant other. Some officers threw every piece of paper they were ever given into the bottom of their locker. A copy of the FOP contract. Depending on how she wore her hair, some extra hair clips/bands/whatever. If she changes at work, her civilian clothes will be in there.

You've got plenty already. You can add whatever you want, but it is not going to add anything to the story unless the item becomes a plot point.

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the locker tends to become a receptacle for all sorts of junk like that.

When I retired, I was surprised at all the junk in there that I had to throw away.

That’s a tough way to live,……..

Comment

The scent of the person. Count me as another that didn't use lockers.

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              I commuted either on my motorcycle or in my Porsche convertible, so keeping my stuff in the trunk of my car wasn't really an option.

• HI629
              HI629 commented
              Editing a comment
              Been a while. Good seeing you back online!

• Zeitgeist1
              Zeitgeist1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you HI629.

Two sets of uniforms, boots, gun belt, rifle, miscellaneous boxes of ammo, flashlight charger, shoe shine.

Also a bunch of evidence that still needs to be processed, just waiting for the next trainee to get assigned to the station.

Comment

workout gear, uniforms, shoe shine, old ticket books (old days), extra t-shirts/socks, pictures, misc crap.

Comment

I keep a collection of assorted adult toys that I use with my "beat wife". Can't get caught with the items in my personal vehicle or gov car, nor can I stash it at home, so the locker is the most convenient place.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2947 users online. 185 members and 2762 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X