300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Web and Accessing Users

My new WIP (work-in-progress) involves an animal abuse vigilante stalking and killing people he witnesses purposely videotaping themselves harming animals and posting it on the dark web. My question: is it possible for police, or my animal abuse vigilante, to track down who the original poster was? If so, how? For example, could they (or you) have specialized hacking equipment or can the police get warrants for example to be able to identify the user? All I need is some specialized sounding language or theory as to how my pet vigilante was able to gain access to the original poster. In fiction, it doesn't necessarily need to be 100% authentic, it just needs to be "possible." For example, it could be an inexperienced poster who didn't somehow hide his identity well enough? I don't actually want to go on the dark web myself, but I know you need to use TOR, also called an onion router? (Ugh - not sure I have the lingo right, so feel free to set me straight) to access it. Can an average person just download TOR? Sorry for the newbie questions, but internet research only takes you so far...

Any assistance you can give me is greatly appreciated - thanks so much!

TOR - The Onion Router, it's an acronym

Average person download it? I suppose so. I have used it on cold computers at work so never had to download it. Been a while since I used it. Some very large cases have been made against darknet online markets involved in illegal activities. For example Silk Road/Silk Road 2 and Alphabay. I would research those cases to see if you can figure out a plausible way of identifying someone on the darknet.

Comment

• Suspense Writer
      Suspense Writer commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, so duh on my part! I didn't realize TOR was an acronym for that. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for the tips. I'll research those.

Watch the Netflix series “Don’t f*** with cats”. It’s about a POS who murdered cats and posted viral. It will tell you how to realistically do this instead of DW, which you won’t get anywhere on.

Comment

• Suspense Writer
      Suspense Writer commented
      Editing a comment
      I did see that disturbing movie when it came out. Perhaps that was still lingering in the back of my mind when I came up with this story. You gave me a good idea though. Instead of the darknet with creeps doing deeply disturbing things to animals, perhaps it can be more along the lines of neglect/abuse that someone captures and posts online. Such as borderline starving animals or purposely getting pets high or whatever. I know animal rescue can assist in some cases, but I imagine sometimes the person doesn't meet the criteria for being arrested such as too many cats, etc.

Thanks for weighing in!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4776 users online. 292 members and 4484 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X