300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handcuff Techniques?

What's the proper way to handcuff someone you're taking into custody...not actively resisting, and preferably by surprise? Do you ever restrain someone before officially notifying him, "You're under arrest"? This is for a screenplay project so I'm mainly thinking visuals. Time frame is small town deep South in the 1960s.

Originally posted by ehbowen View Post
    What's the proper way to handcuff someone you're taking into custody...not actively resisting, and preferably by surprise?
    We're not going to answer the "surprise" part. Do you want to rephrase your question?

Do you ever restrain someone before officially notifying him, "You're under arrest"? This is for a screenplay project so I'm mainly thinking visuals. Time frame is small town deep South in the 1960s.
    Sure. If someone is acting goofy, we may cuff them for their safety and ours, while we sort things out. If we end up not arresting them, we just take our handcuffs back and let them go.

Comment

• ehbowen
      ehbowen commented
      Editing a comment
      Rephrasing...well, working on a video adaptation of the song, "John Deere Green". Kid finishes painting his graffiti and climbs down the water tower as day begins to break, looks up to admire his handiwork...pull back to reveal a cop standing behind him, also looking up at the water tower. Cop says, "You should've used red"...cuffs on.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      We can Gerbil Voodoo 95% of offenders into cuffs with no drama- that's reality.

• westside popo
      westside popo commented
      Editing a comment
      With a scenario like that don't over do it.

Have the cop smile, make a quip while pulling out the handcuffs and handcuff him.

What's the proper way to handcuff someone you're taking into custody...not actively resisting, and preferably by surprise? Do you ever restrain someone before officially notifying him, "You're under arrest"? This is for a screenplay project so I'm mainly thinking visuals. Time frame is small town deep South in the 1960s.
    Yes, we can handcuff people for officer safety purposes. This is especially true if a lone officer has to deal with multiple actors, or if we need to conduct a vehicle search without back-up. I would inform them that they are not under arrest at this time, but are being detained until I can get things sorted out.

Comment

As for handcuffing techniques, watch some youtube videos. That'll give you better visuals than what can be explained in writing.

Comment

Our prosecutor requires us to tell people they are under arrest before handcuffing them. If we don't, the offender is allowed to resist arrest because "they didn't know" they were being arrested. We need to tell them upfront on a cuff-and-release as well.

Sorry, didn't see "deep south in the 60s." You can do whatever you feel like in that case.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          That last line made me chuckle. Very true.

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
        Sorry, didn't see "deep south in the 60s." You can do whatever you feel like in that case
        Watch some of the old " In the Heat of the Night" TV series for this information

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• just joe
          just joe commented
          Editing a comment
          Or watch the movie. It's a great flick.

What's the proper way to handcuff someone you're taking into custody...not actively resisting,
        Each arrest control system rms t have its own variation…. And officers often don’t use the method they were trained n by their department’s official system. I’ve never cuffed someone using PPCT’s standing handcuffing method.

Often a potentially violent subject will be probed out first. There are several methods or that, too.

Do you ever restrain someone before officially notifying him, "You're under arrest"?
        Yes, especially since many of the people I cuff aren’t under arrest.

This is for a screenplay project so I'm mainly thinking visuals. Time frame is small town deep South in the 1960s.
        Back then many officers and deputes in small and even mid size departments never attended any sort of an academy, and formal arrest control systems were almost nonexistent.

I know a now retired sheriffs deputy who started in a rural Texas county in 1965.

He was hired after his stint in Vietnam with the USMC.

His training consisted of one night riding with the Sheriff then being turned loose with a gun and badge.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4432 users online. 294 members and 4138 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X