300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for my fictional crime novel

Hello there! I have three questions for a crime novel I'm writing, Big Girls Don't Die, and would really appreciate some guidance if you can find the time.

1) Question: Is it illegal to mail pictures of dead cats to someone? (My main character sent pics of actual dead cats to upset her neighbor whose cats keep killing birds at her bird feeder)

If so, what is the charge?

2) Question: if a neighbor's cat eats rat poison on my property and gets sick and or dies, is there a charge?

If so, what would it be?

3) Question: if someone committed a crime as a sixteen-year-old and got away with it, but the person later admits the truth on a hidden RING camera 15 years later, can/will they be charged? The crime is that the female teen driver switches places with her semi-conscious passenger (her dad - a DUI repeat offender) who later dies at the scene (she crashed into a tree). She didn't have a license yet and had consumed two shots (basically forced upon her by her father in exchange for leaving the bar) No witnesses on the country road. For sake of argument, let's say the blood evidence from a severe neck wound inside the car made it difficult to say exactly what happened. For my story, I'd ultimately like no charges to be filed, or for her to get a minor sentence, but just wondering if realistically, someone brought the tape to the police as revenge, would the police do anything with it? I'm assuming she would have been charged with DUI and vehicular manslaughter at the time had she not switched places with the soon-to-be-dead man. Thank you for your time and evaluation of one of my story twists.

1) If the intent is to cause annoyance or alarm, they can be charged. I'd submit the report to the prosecutor's office and let them decide if they want to pursue it or not. It would be minor misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

2) If your intent was to kill or injure the animals, there could be a charge. Again, you let the prosecutor decide if it is something they want to pursue or not. Cruelty to Animals is always a good place to start.

3) The girl gets her dad out of the passenger seat and into the driver's seat, correct? That sounds rather difficult.

"For sake of argument, let's say the blood evidence from a severe neck wound inside the car made it difficult to say exactly what happened. "

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I don't know if you do, either. If you are referring to some type of arterial spray, the blood evidence would be pretty telling about who was where in the car. I'd take the tape to the county prosecutor and ask them if they want to open the case back up. I assume that they would want the case reopened, but I I don't know if much of anything would happen. You have a scared girl trying to do the best she can with a crappy hand.

Comment

Thank you so much for your thorough answers! Much appreciated. (I shortened the telling of the specifics a bit so as not to bog down the discussion, but I believe the details in the actual novel are plausible as written.) :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3685 users online. 247 members and 3438 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X