300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
    All I know is what I have seen in the documentary on British policing called Hot Fuzz. Seems like a cool gig.
    Hot Fuzz is basically a documentary of British policing. Only with some funny bits thrown in. Yarp.

I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

1573666109303.png

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
        We've worked together haven't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
          We've worked together haven't we?

In all seriousness, what has happened to the British Police? Why has it become like this?

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
            In all seriousness, what has happened to the British Police? Why has it become like this?
            It's a bit of an expansive question. What has happened to the British Police? Well, we're still here. In terms of perceptions (or rather the images in the meme above) we have men marching with a banner saying "No democracy we just want Islam", images from the 2011 Tottenham riots, something about grooming gangs and a pug looking cute. Against that we have Sgt Nicholas Angel and PC Danny Butterman successively eating ice creams and then springing into action with firearms. In fairness, in the film Sgt Angel is observing passersby for suspicious activity and arrests a thief shortly afterwards, but I assume the suggestion is that the Police over here do nothing (except where pugs are at risk)?

Looking at them one by one, I have no idea where the first image was taken. A very quick internet search suggests Dearborn, Michigan, but this may not be true. If it was the UK, that would be freedom of expression. We let the Nazis march too.

I was on holiday during the 2011 riots, so didn't get involved in their policing. However, the riots didn't have anything to do with Islam - the spark was a supposedly unarmed man named Mark Duggan being shot dead by Police. Duggan was an armed gangster. Sorry, he was, Mark Duggan fans. The rioters did what rioters do - looted and essentially gave into their base instincts. And we had to pick up the pieces (there were copycat riots across Britain with like minded criminals).

The grooming gangs issue is a perennial one of men sexually exploiting vulnerable young girls. The simple fact is that we only have so many Police and you tend to concentrate what is under your nose. The girls these people selected were often marginalised and highly unlikely to go to the Police. I won't pretend everything we've done has been perfect but we have tried to address this issue and there have been a lot of convictions for offences which are hard to prove.

And pugs are cute. Wouldn't you want to rescue a pug? If not, then you are a monster. Fact.

Comment

I was in London back in September and had a chat with a few ARV members from The Met. Really good group of fellas. And had a few brief interactions with some bobbies and found them extremely helpful and professional. Overall, they seemed very relaxed.

I was in Belfast and Londonderry (I know NI isn't Britain, but regardless) the following week and they were noticabley more on-edge. I was pulled over in Londonderry, for what they said was a routine check. The two officers both approached my car with their hands on their firearms and asked me what my business was there. When they heard my accent they relaxed a bit but the member talking to me at the driver's side window had his hand on his firearm the entire encounter. They did some checks on me and sent me on my way. It was definitely a stark contrast to my experiences in England.
              ​​​​​
              ​​​​In regards to routine arming, I believe New South Wales is the only department in Australia that has armed their members since, or near enough to inception; though it's worth noting that female members could not carry firearms for general duties (patrol) until 1979; detectives were allowed to carry from '74. In Victoria, female police had to keep their firearms in their police-issued handbag up until 1986. I believe mandatory arming of general duties police came about sometime in the 70's, but I'm fairly certain (male) detectives had the option to carry for decades prior.

In Queensland, carrying was optional up until 1975. I'm pretty sure most other states and territories followed suit around the same period. Intrestingly enough, the Northern Territory Police were only armed on night shift up until the late 1990s, which is odd considering it was and still is a rather crime-ridden region. Around the time the daytime general duties members were unarmed, the murder rate there sat at around 14 per 100,000 residents.
              Last edited by CaptainKangaroo5691; 12-01-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12298 users online. 438 members and 11860 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X