Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a lieutenant and a detective carry?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

Most plainclothes cops I know, including myself, prefer to carry a smaller gun. Stick with a subcompact or compact, Glock or S&W. 9, 40 or 45. No shoulder holsters.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. After a quick search I think I'll write in that the detective is carrying a S&W M&P Shield .40...with one backup clip. The officers came to the site not expecting any trouble, after all.

Which now brings up the subject of communications. I do want the detective to get the word out...but, after he takes out the hothead who wounds his boss (using one clip in the process), he finds himself surrounded by Mr. Big and his henchmen who say, "Drop that gun, and let's talk." What would be ideal is if the detective has something analogous to a "panic button" that he can press inconspicuously and reflexively which will alert someone (dispatcher?) and give his location but not give details. These are narcotics officers, after all...they ought to have some way to signal when a deal goes bad. Since this was planned as a routine visit it might be assumed it was activated by mistake...but I would want at least one unit to be dispatched in order to investigate.

Without getting into details which ought to remain confidential, how might such a scenario unfold in real life?

Comment

In reality, you are going to call dispatch on your phone, or someone will hear gunshots and call it in. Yeah we are issued a portable, but it’s either in my trunk or on my desk unless we are out doing something. I’m not taking it out to work a case.

When you’re in plainclothes, the odds of you having a “panic button” available are slim. Besides, “panic buttons” are unreliable and nobody comes running to them anyway. You’re going to get 20 minutes of radio checks, before a patrol gets to your location and finds you.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll find a way to work with it.

Edit To Add: I think I'll have the detective on his cell phone, talking to another detective also assigned to the case and familiar with it, about what they have found (while touring the facility with the consent of the plant manager) with the aim of having the other detective run down to the judge and obtain a search warrant for the closed area when the shooting starts. That should get the ball rolling....
        Last edited by ehbowen; 04-07-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehbowen View Post

Thanks, that's very helpful. After a quick search I think I'll write in that the detective is carrying a S&W M&P Shield .40...with one backup clip. The officers came to the site not expecting any trouble, after all.
          It's your book, but if I were writing it, and based on my experience with guns, I'd have him carrying a M&P subcompact (M&P40c) at least. The Shield is an off duty/back up gun. The M&P40c is as well, but the fact that it holds 4 more rounds and is a bit easier to shoot (in my, and many shooters' opinion) make it much more suitable as a primary sidearm for plainclothes guys. Also, even if a cop is not "expecting trouble" if he's on duty, he's going to carry more than 12 rounds on him most likely (and the .40 Shield only holds 6 rounds in the magazine). Two mags for the M&Pc would give him 20 rounds. I've seen quite a few detectives and command staff supervisors carrying M&P Subcompacts, Glock subcompacts, etc. Haven't seen any carrying Glock 43s, Shields, etc, as their primary sidearm. Just my opinion, but again, it's your story.

Also, remember "magazine" not "clip". Clips are for M1 Garands.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4878 users online. 166 members and 4712 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X