Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a lieutenant and a detective carry?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a lieutenant and a detective carry?

I'm writing the scene where my narcotics lieutenant character and one of his detectives are checking out a tip on a suspect at the plant where the suspect's grandmother has told them that he works. They go in expecting no trouble, mainly a visit to the personnel office...but they do have an arrest warrant and would be prepared to apprehend him if he was there on site. What would they be likely to carry in the way of communications gear and weapons? Would they be in uniform or plain clothes? Would it be normal practice to bring additional units or would they only be called in if necessary? By the way, the detective was originally planning to go alone; it's only when he mentions the tip that the lieutenant comments that he'd like to see the plant (again; he was taken there by a friend of the family several times as a kid) and asks to ride along.

Narcs dont wear uniforms. They are Narcs. The unit Commander MAY be a suit and tie guy.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Narcs dont wear uniforms. They are Narcs. The unit Commander MAY be a suit and tie guy.
      Thanks. If I write this to show both of them dressed business casual/suit and tie (for a visit to Personnel) and carrying a mobile phone for communication instead of a police radio as well as a concealed hideout gun for defense, with the detective prepared to call in backup units if the suspect is actually present on the property, would you as a reader have any problem with that?

Comment

Additional question: Would it be believable for the personnel office to state that it is their policy to only release information about an employee through legal counsel, unless the officers have a warrant? And if the officers have a "gut feeling" that something is fishy, would it be in character for them to withhold the fact that they in fact have an arrest warrant until after that has been clearly stated?

Comment

Dude, really, it’s a book, not a training manual or legal brief. You are asking for us to provide free services and write your key points for you.

Just write it the way you want to and ensure it flows. You’ll be fine.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by ehbowen View Post
            Additional question: Would it be believable for the personnel office to state that it is their policy to only release information about an employee through legal counsel, unless the officers have a warrant? And if the officers have a "gut feeling" that something is fishy, would it be in character for them to withhold the fact that they in fact have an arrest warrant until after that has been clearly stated?
            No it won't be believable for only "legal counsel " to release employee info.

Companies vary on the topic from release the stuff when ever LE asks for it to only if they have a subpeana, warrant or court order. Some may not have an official policy and it may be up to who has the authority to release such info.

Sometimes it depends on who you ask and how you ask for it.

Some companies won't allow LE in thier facility to question any employee. But will likely grant access if the LEO has an arrest warrant.

Announcing you have an arrest warrant for an employee may or may not be a good idea depending on the circumstances. Sometimes I tell people, sometimes I don't until I'm ready to put the cuffs on them.
            Last edited by westside popo; 02-26-2019, 01:56 AM.

Comment

What might be a likely weapon for such a detective to carry concealed during a plainclothes investigation?

Comment

It varies from department to department. Detectives may carry standard service pistols or perhaps the compact version of the same. Covert units may carry non-standard firearms during undercover operations or perhaps routinely.
                John from Maryland

Comment

A Colt Detective Special with a bobbed hammer, and two Bianchi Speed Strips in the jacket pocket. Anything else and your character is a poser.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    A Colt Detective Special with a bobbed hammer, and two Bianchi Speed Strips in the jacket pocket. Anything else and your character is a poser.
                    Sipowicz never needed more than 5.
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      I want to do this so I can feel like a nostalgic badass like you
                      REINSTATE THE TRIG
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      Your logic defies logic
                      Originally posted by Rudy8116
                      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                      Originally posted by Michigan
                      Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                      Originally posted by TheTick
                      A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                      Originally posted by TheTick
                      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                      Originally posted by 02paul09
                      Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

A flask.....

Comment

What might be a likely weapon for such a detective to carry concealed during a plainclothes investigation?
                          There is no one answer to this. Honestly, you can use your imagination because this varies so greatly from department from department. Some have a one size fits all policy: Everyone from the rookie to the chief carries the same gear, no exception. Many, maybe most, will authorize detectives and command staff to carry a compact or subcompact version of the standard issue pistol; ex. patrol officers carry the Glock 17 while the detectives carry the 19 or 26. Other PDs allow, or require, all their officers to purchase a pistol for duty from an authorized list of companies and models.

If you want to know what's probably the most common these days, I'd go with some kind of mid-size pistol like a Glock 19 or Smith & Wesson M&P Compact.
                          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                          -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post

There is no one answer to this. Honestly, you can use your imagination because this varies so greatly from department from department. Some have a one size fits all policy: Everyone from the rookie to the chief carries the same gear, no exception. Many, maybe most, will authorize detectives and command staff to carry a compact or subcompact version of the standard issue pistol; ex. patrol officers carry the Glock 17 while the detectives carry the 19 or 26. Other PDs allow, or require, all their officers to purchase a pistol for duty from an authorized list of companies and models.

If you want to know what's probably the most common these days, I'd go with some kind of mid-size pistol like a Glock 19 or Smith & Wesson M&P Compact.
                            Thanks. Well, sorry to telegraph too much, but in the story there's going to be a shootout. The narcotics officers are going to accidentally come across the Big Room where the drugs are being handled along with a hotheaded thug who adamantly doesn't want to go back to prison. He seriously injures the plainclothes lieutenant, not realizing at first that there is another (two others?) detective with him. Let me rephrase the question this way: Assuming department policy allows officers leeway in choice of sidearms, if you were to find yourself in such a situation while carrying concealed in plain clothes, what would you prefer to have as a weapon? (Sorry, the plasma rifle and the Ma Deuce are both unavailable....)

Comment

Let me rephrase the question this way: Assuming department policy allows officers leeway in choice of sidearms, if you were to find yourself in such a situation while carrying concealed in plain clothes, what would you prefer to have as a weapon? (Sorry, the plasma rifle and the Ma Deuce are both unavailable....)
                              Most plainclothes cops I know, including myself, prefer to carry a smaller gun. Stick with a subcompact or compact, Glock or S&W. 9, 40 or 45. No shoulder holsters.
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9475 users online. 273 members and 9202 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X