300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an Arrest Warrant

When a detective has identified a criminal suspect to his satisfaction, how difficult is it to obtain an arrest warrant for the individual? Does an appointment need to be made in advance to see a judge, or is this something which can often be done as a walk-in? How long does the process normally take? Assume that there is physical evidence (seized contraband) that a crime has been committed and that there is a credible witness which links the suspect(s) to it.

A lot depends on the jurisdiction in question (your mileage may vary).

At the first agency I went to work for 50 years ago this year (yep, I’m that ancient) when we wanted an arrest warrant, we simply went next door and had a chat with Virgil.

Virgil was the local school bus driver. But, after driving all the kids to school each day, he became the Justice of the Peace. You just told Virgil what you had and he signed the warrant. The nice part was, as the town’s only Justice of the Peace, Virgil also heard the case when it went to trial. If he thought you were guilty enough to sign the warrant, your fate an trial was pretty much predetermined, unless you could pull a pretty big rabbit out of a hat.

Where I’m at now, officers are expected to obtain warrants through the District Attorney’s office. This is done for a number of reasons. First, in major metro areas, there are more crimes than the courts and DAs can handle. Like throwing back undersized fish, DA’s will whittle down their caseload to a manageable size by rejecting cases they deem too petty to prosecute, or where there is a likelihood of acquittal, or the crime is deemed “victimless”, or prosecuting a particular matter goes against the District Attorney’s personal philosophy. In major metro areas, many DA's offices have a manual stating what criteria must be met for each crime (above and beyond meeting the basic elements) in order for them to accept and proceed on a case.

Once the DA signs off on a case, the officers present it to a judge who may read some, all or none of what they have, may or may not ask questions and then may or may not sign off on the warrant. Experienced officers sometimes shop for judges, knowing which ones are hard or soft on particular crimes and who to present their warrant to.

As an interesting note, some time back, part of the performance evaluations of Deputy District Attorneys assigned to filing cases in a nearby county was based heavily on the percentages of filings they gave that resulted in convictions. If your case was even mildly weak, it was stamped with a DA Rejection.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      A lot depends on the jurisdiction in question (your mileage may vary).

At the first agency I went to work for 50 years ago this year (yep, I’m that ancient) when we wanted an arrest warrant, we simply went next door and had a chat with Virgil.

Virgil was the local school bus driver. But, after driving all the kids to school each day, he became the Justice of the Peace. You just told Virgil what you had and he signed the warrant. The nice part was, as the town’s only Justice of the Peace, Virgil also heard the case when it went to trial. If he thought you were guilty enough to sign the warrant, your fate an trial was pretty much predetermined, unless you could pull a pretty big rabbit out of a hat.

Where I’m at now, officers are expected to obtain warrants through the District Attorney’s office. This is done for a number of reasons. First, in major metro areas, there are more crimes than the courts and DAs can handle. Like throwing back undersized fish, DA’s will whittle down their caseload to a manageable size by rejecting cases they deem too petty to prosecute, or where there is a likelihood of acquittal, or the crime is deemed “victimless”, or prosecuting a particular matter goes against the District Attorney’s personal philosophy. In major metro areas, many DA's offices have a manual stating what criteria must be met for each crime (above and beyond meeting the basic elements) in order for them to accept and proceed on a case.

Once the DA signs off on a case, the officers present it to a judge who may read some, all or none of what they have, may or may not ask questions and then may or may not sign off on the warrant. Experienced officers sometimes shop for judges, knowing which ones are hard or soft on particular crimes and who to present their warrant to.

As an interesting note, some time back, part of the performance evaluations of Deputy District Attorneys assigned to filing cases in a nearby county was based heavily on the percentages of filings they gave that resulted in convictions. If your case was even mildly weak, it was stamped with a DA Rejection.
      In smaller agencies the process in similar............................

Normally there is at least a cursory review by the prosecutor's office ............although many times the officers that have done this a lot can by pass this step. The officers know what they need help or approval by the prosecutor and act appropriately . For the most part the prosecutors office here acts as an advisor to the officers rather than adversary.

Finding a magistrate or district court judge in smaller counties can be fun..........there is always someone on call, but in my county our magistrate lives in the next county over. That means a short road trip to get the warrant signed unless she happens to be in town for a hearing already....Which is normally Wednesday. On Mondays we have a District Court judge in house.........so the officers just come up and I take them into see da judge.

Occasionally the magistrate is out of the area ................she always arranges a backup and sends us an email as to who is covering .......THEN if an emergency comes up that road trip might be longer to get a warrant signed. The officers normally make sure anything that needs to be signed is done before she leaves town

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You make an appointment to see one of the prosecutors, and they will determine if you have enough for a warrant, or if they even want a warrant as opposed to a subpoena. They may also do a warrant on indictment. It really depends on the crime. They can be had in short order if that is how the prosecutor wants to go.

Comment

Arrest warrants may be issued by a District Court Commissioner in Maryland. Commissioners are state court employees. Most are not lawyers, More urban counties have on duty commissioners 24/7. One writes an statement of probable cause and submits it. If PC is met, the commissioner will issue a warrant or summons.

Frighten enough, if Joe Bagachips writes up an application for charges against his spouse or neighbor, makes some sort of sense, and appears sober, the application will also be approved.
          John from Maryland

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7879 users online. 277 members and 7602 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X