Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a day in the life for an officer on modified duty?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a social theory known as "Tragedy of the Commons" which posits when everyone owns something, no one owns it, and subsequently no one takes care of it. The theory is often used to explain why public resources such as national parks are in disarray. But I submit your typical large cop shop (as brilliantly captured by Aidokea) is a more perfect example of the theory: the moldy, drooping ceiling tiles, the heap of CRT computer monitors in the back hall that hasn't moved in two years, the petri dish break room, and where there was once a urinal in the men's room is now a pipe sticking out of the wall. No one seems to give two sheets about bettering the situation because they know within a week, things would return to FUBAR, aka condition normal.
    One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      There's a social theory known as "Tragedy of the Commons" which posits when everyone owns something, no one owns it, and subsequently no one takes care of it. The theory is often used to explain why public resources such as national parks are in disarray. But I submit your typical large cop shop (as brilliantly captured by Aidokea) is a more perfect example of the theory: the moldy, drooping ceiling tiles, the heap of CRT computer monitors in the back hall that hasn't moved in two years, the petri dish break room, and where there was once a urinal in the men's room is now a pipe sticking out of the wall. No one seems to give two sheets about bettering the situation because they know within a week, things would return to FUBAR, aka condition normal.
      Amen. That room is literally the place that time forgot. The only thing that the people assigned there care about, is getting out of there.

I observed a dramatic example of what you're talking about, when we went from permanent assigned cars, to not assigning them. Now it's hard to find anything in the parking lot that doesn't have rotting food under the seats, sticky spilled soda all over the floor, broken motor mounts, three bent wheels, and the rear plastic bumper cover flapping in the wind as you drive it. And it's absolutely impossible to perform beat checks of the insides of my eyelids on the back parking lot during the night if I need to, because of all the cockroaches that come out from under the seats to crawl around the interior after sunset.

Comment

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        And huge tobacco stains all over the fabric from when dippers spill their spit cups...
        Last edited by Ratatatat; 04-14-2019, 07:33 PM.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

You capture the cold nuances more accurately than Mickey Spillane ever did...

Haha, thanks. If I hadn't had an internet connection in that room, I'm pretty sure I would have literally died from boredom. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up and purging old stuff to throw away, but as you said, I had no delusions of actually making a permanent difference in there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6824 users online. 280 members and 6544 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X