300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer assistance to ID suspects?

One of the plot points in my story concerns a RR SA who is the only person who has clearly seen...twice...two drug suspects. I want to set up a scenario where he identifies them from mugshots.

I've never been LE, but it would seem that these days when everything is computerized that there ought to be some kind of link between a sketch artist and a face recognition database available. The scenario I'm looking at would have the RR SA called in to the local PD, give his best description to the sketch artist, and then have the PD detectives use face recognition to search for, say, 30 or 40 close matches...half of which are known to be innocent (possibly they're already in jail?) and the other half of which are possibilities. The detectives call the SA in to review the various photos, at which point he definitely IDs one or both suspects.

Without divulging any sensitive information, would someone comment on how this process is actually performed in a large department?

Attempt to locate any exterior cameras along the tracks, get a copy of any footage. Send out 'need to identify' still shot from the footage via dept wide email. Most of the perps know about this and hence the popularity of having their hood pulled up and sunglasses.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

In my early days of LE, there were kits available to create a likeness of the person without the use of a sketch artist. There were numerous facial features, shapes, eyes, noses, ears, hair styles etc., that the witness could select to build the picture. It reminds me of the Mr. Potato head toy.

Technology has advanced a lot since then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faci...gnition_system

Comment

Of note, in Illinois, the Secretary of State Police have access to the drivers license image database. They can take an image of a face and run it through said database to look for a match. Likewise, if you give them descriptors and a general area, they can look for people matching those descriptors for you. Takes a couple days usually but they're often happy to help. Might get anywhere between 20 and 100 possible matches but it can help narrow down suspects.

Other states may have similar programs

Comment

Just run them through SCMODS. Should do the trick.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Just run them through SCMODS. Should do the trick.
            I had to look that one up. Bad boy!

ARREST POSTER - IMPOUND COMPUTER

Comment

Glad we could lighten your day!
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10947 users online. 403 members and 10544 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X