Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What laws apply to peace officers where alcoholic beverages are sold?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What laws apply to peace officers where alcoholic beverages are sold?

The following scenario is going to become the climactic confrontation of my Guardian Angel story. I know going into it that some laws and (especially) agency rules are going to be bent, spindled, folded and mutilated, so I'm not trying to craft a "believable" scenario this time. But it would be helpful for my purposes to know just which laws are being bent and broken.

Mike, the railroad special agent, is going to be entering a topless club along with an angel who is in disguise. Their objective is to spark a supernatural confrontation which will allow a captured angel to be recovered...so, this has no connection with official police (or railroad company) business. Mike will be undercover in plain clothes, armed, but the establishment has no objection, posted or otherwise, to police officers being present. They will have the normal notice barring concealed carry holders and others from carrying weapons, but Michael is a peace officer. He will order a drink, but will not actually consume any alcohol on the premises.

Yes, he is willing to put his career on the line in order to accomplish this night's mission. What are some of the factors which he would (and should) be aware of?

Also, the police lieutenant who is his best friend is going to be in the same club at the same time, but as a regular customer and completely unaware of what Mike and the angel have planned. With the understanding that someone in his position should think twice about being there at all (it's a subplot), what laws and rules would apply to him as well? The jurisdiction is Texas.

Many departments have a policy against carrying a weapon off duty in a bar while others only prohibit it if you're drinking alcohol. I'm unsure about Texas law specifically.

End of the night, you're writing a fictional book. Go with what makes better drama than what the strict letter of the law would be.

Comment

The Feebs and locals were in and out of the Bada Bing all the time...

You are writing about angels. You really don’t need to be accurate.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It isn't against the law to go to a strip club. If your character is not drinking alcohol, I don't see the big deal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10953 users online. 406 members and 10547 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X