300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to end a chase "on the hook"

In the story I'm working on, I'm writing in a (short) high speed chase, slightly over half a mile. The suspects observe the patrol car beginning to follow them, run two red lights, swerve off the road onto a hike and bike trail, then ditch their vehicle in a residential area and escape on foot at about 3 am. They are suspected of drug activity but not wanted for any known violent actions. The chase ends before backup units can arrive in the area. It would be best for story purposes if both suspects successfully escape without being identified. (A special agent previously observed the same two suspects engaged in suspicious activity at a location which turned out to be an active crack house, and he sees them again nearby while leaving the bust of the crack house on foot and makes a radio call which sparks the pursuit. However, he has no photographs and does not know their identity at the time. The story objective is to make him the only officer who can identify them.)

When a chase ends in such a manner, what would be the expected response of the pursuing officers if no backup was yet available in the area? I'm postulating that the officers are about a hundred yards from the suspect's van when they ditch it and take off on foot in opposite directions. They are on a hike and bike trail, not on a paved road. It would be adequate for story purposes if the pursuing officers decide, "High risk, low reward" and take steps to secure the van and the evidence inside it. Is this a plausible response?

Suspicious activity isn't enough for a pursuit in many agencies. Even the traffic violations aren't serious enough for me to run into the woods. Stay with the car & tow it.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
      Suspicious activity isn't enough for a pursuit in many agencies. Even the traffic violations aren't serious enough for me to run into the woods. Stay with the car & tow it.
      Thanks. I think I've watched a few too many episodes of Cops.

Of course, one may be too many....

Comment

No, you have been watching too many episodes of Law And Order SVU, when the police will arrest you and the DA will send you to prison for life if you do something that is perfectly lawful, but which violates their personal philosophy or sense of social justice.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Well, to be perfectly honest, I've never watched an episode of "Law And Order." Not one. But, yeah, the pursuits which end with the bad guys escaping tend not to make it onto the ten o'clock news....

Comment

See if a dog is working.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10920 users online. 403 members and 10517 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X