300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Peeves

Simple enough of a question: What are some of your biggest pet peeves in books, movies, or television when it comes to the portrayal of your profession?

Making street cops look stupid... ie detective shows
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

Off hand, I would remark on officers racking the slide of pistols before taking action. In U.S. law enforcement agencies, we keep a round chambered at all times so that you can immediately present and engage a threat. Weapons that seem to be taken off safe or cocked when there is no need to do so are somewhat annoying, but I understand a screenwriter's need to illustrate impending danger. Still, jeeesh!

Secondly, it is extremely rare for someone to join an agency and immediately become SWAT or detective bureau even if they are transferred from another department. It may rarely happen in some places and I can understand that a cohesive plot is more important than strict reality, but jeeesh again!
      John from Maryland

Comment

- Grooming standards (why does the lead guy always have a button undone, uniforms a size too small and stubble??)
        - Cliches (good cop/bad cop, grizzled divorced veteran with two dead partners, scared virgin rookie)
        - No paperwork despite a pursuit and subsequent gunfight
        - horrific gunhandling/lack of tactics/muzzling each other
        - using a flashlight during daylight while bypassing light switches (CSI I'm talking to you!!!)
        - no radio traffic until that lead character is called and it's loud and crystal clear

Comment

Without a doubt one of the best cop detective shows is the Amazon Prime series "Bosch"
          Retired LASD

Comment

• eagleI
            eagleI commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the show (and the book series) but no one walks around without a cover coat. And I don't think LAPD detectives can wear jeans every day.

Rookies as detectives.
          Detectives taking point on a SWAT entry.
          A dozen officers milling around the front desk at HQ, mostly doing nothing.
          A village of 900 people having 20 or 30 officers, again mostly goofing off at the station.
          A sheriff can’t be fired by the mayor. The sheriff is an elected county official.
          The FBI showing up at a crime scene and taking over.
          Technology instantly identifying the suspect.
          Transporting an arrestee with lights and siren.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Improper shooting techniques. Some of the stuff I see out there is outright dangerous!
            Way too many OIS. Lead characters in many series have more OIS in one season than the majority of an entire precinct of officers would have in their entire career.
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Perhaps not a peeve as such, more a source of amusement. The investigating officer (OIC over here) reacting with outrage when another department or agency state they're going to take over the investigation. Personally speaking, if I lose one investigation, I'm not exactly twiddling my thumbs. The only TV programme I can think of where they get the whole "It's your investigation" "No, it's your investigation" bit is the second season of The Wire with the deaths of the trafficked sex workers. I don't even work in the US but the resulting brouhaha was instantly recognisable.
              I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Officers entering and clearing houses alone. Or really doing anything high-risk alone. Yes, there are situations that dictate an officer may have to take immediate action. Overwhelmingly however, we wait for a back and try to do things as safe as possible.

Comment

Great responses so far, guys. Thanks! A few of these replies have made me reconsider some of my ideas. This is all very valuable input. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9117 users online. 347 members and 8770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X