300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police & Private Investigators

I start another topic, because I realized that I was going out of topic in the other discussion concerning the procedures between two states. Maybe there are other people interested in this topic and could benefit from information.

As was said in the other topic, we know that it is not so rare a collaboration between the police and private investigators. At this point it makes me wonder how it happens.
    Is the collaboration random, or are there cases in which the department can assume, by paying public money, the PI?
    If the second case were realistic, would the hourly pay be established by the PI, or are there any rules that oblige the PI to serve, without being able to decide their own compensation?

Depts don’t pay or hire PIs for criminal cases. There are legal issues.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

CCSD is correct. PI's are usually used by defense attorneys, proving various frauds (think workman's comp) or affluent families looking for errant children. Obviously there are other situations and I've met some decent PI's. One that comes to mind was a retired FBI agent looking for a missing son. Sadly, the kid was murdered found buried in another jurisdiction. Good luck w/ your work.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

You have to realize too that the city, county, or state has invested a lot of time and money training their own investigators so farming that work out to private investigators is pointless.
        And there is a lot more power and ability behind a LEO investigator as opposed to a civilian.

This is totally off topic though but you may have smaller agencies that bring in investigators from another jurisdiction if they are ill equipped. I remember hearing about a case back east in a small town where a family member of mine had a business. Anyway there was a murder that occurred in this small town and their department had little to no experience in murder investigations so they brought in help from the closest major city.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the precious information, the nature of the relationship between police and private investigators is now a bit clearer.
          Unfortunately, when you go into the bureaucracy, there are some pitfalls that are sometimes really difficult to predict. In this case, given the playful nature of my work, it is becoming a strong curiosity in discovering reality.

Anyone who has more information, insights or experiences to tell is really very welcome.

Comment

They (PI) has to be licensed in the state I live in. (Ga.) A lot of officers resent them, not sure why. I know one in California that makes obscene amounts of money. A lot of divorce, child custody stuff, some corporate fraud etc. He's a former LEO.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
              They (PI) has to be licensed in the state I live in. (Ga.) A lot of officers resent them, not sure why. I know one in California that makes obscene amounts of money. A lot of divorce, child custody stuff, some corporate fraud etc. He's a former LEO.
              During my 35 year law enforcement career (approximately half as a Detective Sergeant) Private investigators frequently presented criminal cases to my unit for further investigation and subsequent prosecution. I worked more than a few cases in conjunction with PI’s who were paid by their private clients or employers.

Private Investigators were occasionally contracted by the department for applicant background investigations. Workers’ Compensation division occasionally contracted licensed private investigators to investigate disability fraud.

Being a California licensed private investigator/qualified manager/owner can be a lucrative business. Successful private investigators recognize the significance of liability / errors & omissions insurance, contracts, retainers and due diligence prior to accepting assignment.

Last edited by BTDT2; 03-01-2018, 01:03 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Depts don’t pay or hire PIs for criminal cases. There are legal issues.
                Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                CCSD is correct. PI's are usually used by defense attorneys, proving various frauds (think workman's comp) or affluent families looking for errant children. Obviously there are other situations and I've met some decent PI's. One that comes to mind was a retired FBI agent looking for a missing son. Sadly, the kid was murdered found buried in another jurisdiction. Good luck w/ your work.
                I know of numerous times when LE AGENCIES have used PI's to investigate Workers Comp fraud on officers in my state. Small area where LE investigators are well known you sometimes need to "go off the reservation" for resources. The fresh face (unknown to local cops) of an out of area PI can provide better surveillance than our own personnel.

A PI in Iowa has to be licensed by the Iowa Department of Public Safety.........pass a test and pay a fee..........and honestly most of the ones I know are ex or retired cops
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Vic Bottini if you’re still following this thread, in California a Private Investigator has no law enforcement authority even if he/she has been hired by law enforcement to perform an investigation. A Private Investigator is an ordinary citizen and can only make citizen's arrests.

To become a licensed private investigator In California one needs not less than 6000 hours of compensated investigative experience, pass a two hour written examine and background check. (A college degree in criminal law, criminal justice or police science can be substituted for part of the experience.)

I’ve worked with veteran (law enforcement) detectives who in all probability haven’t logged 6000 hours of actual Investigative time during their entire careers.

Comment

Originally posted by BTDT2 View Post

I’ve worked with veteran (law enforcement) detectives who in all probability haven’t logged 6000 hours of actual Investigative time during their entire careers.
                    those are some lazy detectives then. I did the math and if a detective did a full 8hr shift 5 days a week for 37 months gets the hours. I'd say at least 5 hours a day is good
                    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                      those are some lazy detectives then. I did the math and if a detective did a full 8hr shift 5 days a week for 37 months gets the hours. I'd say at least 5 hours a day is good
                      Yes we had our share of lazy investigators, many legends in their own minds.

Decades ago when promoted to Detective Sergeant I was assigned to a unit with senior detectives more than twice my age, many appointed circa 1950-1960.

Not observing senior detective movement for an entire shift, I considered contacting the coroner’s office believing several members of my unit died at their desk and an examination would no doubt reveal postmortem lividity of their buttocks.

I wrote this post tongue in cheek, no disrespect intended for the conscientious and tenacious detectives who actually do their job.

Last edited by BTDT2; 04-16-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

OP is in the wind.

Vic_Bottini
                        Forum Member
                        Last Activity: 02-18-2018, 04:49 AM

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11673 users online. 436 members and 11237 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X