Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for career advice!!

Hello everybody,
    I am just an ordinary citizen and a student. A career in law enforcement such as being a police officer, or being an expert, in the crime department has always excited me. I can't wait for the day when I wear those uniforms. But a lot of competition is going on in that field, I guess. I will have to burn the midnight oil for that. But during my research, I have found various testimonials of officers in which they have said, being a security guard helped them in becoming a security officer. Do being a security guard opens up a door for a career in law enforcement? If yes, then I would like to enroll as a security guard. Of course, I will have to get a valid security guard license before getting a job. I will have to undergo security guard training in Toronto for that which is an added expense. That is why I would like to know your insights on this. Will the security guard career help me to get into the police? If the chances are less, I don't want to waste the extra expense of training. So please help me decide, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Originally posted by Goldenray View Post
    Do being a security guard opens up a door for a career in law enforcement? If yes, then I would like to enroll as a security guard.
    Short answer - No.

Most law enforcement agencies hire based on wrotten and oral exams that measure you ability to perform the duties of the position you are seeking. The higher you score, the greater your chances of being hired.

Most agencies publish an exam announcement prior to testing. Read the fine print closely. Most explain what you will be tested on. That will give you a chance to study and become familiar with the testing areas.

As far as the oral exam is concerned, this is usually what they focus on:
    • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
    • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
    • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
    • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
    • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
    • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
    In most cases, what it comes down to is - do you have it within you to do the job? Are you smart enough? Can you assess, evaluate, think reasonably quickly on your feet? Do you know how to deal with people and how to roll with the punches? That's what testing measures.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1 has offered good advice above.

I advise staying out of private security. That would make you less desirable to many hiring authorities in law enforcement.

Some things you can do to make yourself stand out as an applicant:

1. Complete a college degree (if you haven't already). Subjects that can make you a desirable hire would include information technology, public administration, accounting. Plenty of criminal justice majors out there, but agencies will always have needs for computer experts, mid and upper management, the ability to follow a money trail, budgets, grant writing, etc.

2. Become fluent in a second language, preferably one that is fairly common in your area. Here in Colorado we have a strong need for Spanish-speakers, not so much for Mandarin Chinese. Always a strong attribute within a law enforcement agency.

3. Steady and consistent work history. Moving from job to job can indicate stability or personality issues, while maintaining long-term employment with the same company indicates commitment and maturity.

4. Control your finances. Excessive debt, collection actions, bankruptcy, etc, are not indicative of mature and responsible people.

5. Limit you social media exposure. By this I mean to carefully control what you publish or disseminate, what you expose about yourself. Inappropriate humor, content of a racial or ethnic nature, causes that might be perceived as radical or dangerous; always keep in mind that once it is out there it will always be out there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8162 users online. 390 members and 7772 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X