300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umpires

I noticed the other day, while watching a manager argue with an Ump, umpires antagonize players and managers. In no other sport, does an official act in this manner. They will either walk away, or calmly communicate with the player/manager. Not in baseball. They will proudly go chest to chest and try to outyell a other person. I've even seen them yell at the other party as the other person was walking away. Its pathetic. I don't know what it is that make umpires feel so arrogant, but MLB needs to put an end to it. They need to start fining umpires just like they do players or managers.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

It's part of the tradition of the sport. It's awesome.

Comment

In the world of pro sports, baseball has the worst officiating with the NBA a close second. Officials should fade into the background, but in baseball they are far to often in the front. The NFL and the NHL have the officiating thing done right.
      This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Major League Umpires are probably the best officials in pro sports. The rhubarb is part of the tradition of baseball. The pace of the game is what allows it to happen. All sports are games officiated by humans, so mistakes are going to be made.

Check out As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires, by Bruce Weber. He went to umpiring school (there are two, neither subsidized by MLB). Really good read for any sports fan. Umpires who aren't full time MLB basically live hand to mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
          Major League Umpires are probably the best officials in pro sports. The rhubarb is part of the tradition of baseball. The pace of the game is what allows it to happen. All sports are games officiated by humans, so mistakes are going to be made.

Check out As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires, by Bruce Weber. He went to umpiring school (there are two, neither subsidized by MLB). Really good read for any sports fan. Umpires who aren't full time MLB basically live hand to mouth.
          Sometimes foot in mouth.
          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
            Sometimes foot in mouth.
            True. Since I'm always looking for an excuse to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-4FSRYagc

Still, baseball umpires call a much more complex game than officials of other pro sports, ironically because even when there is no action, there is action.

Comment

I don't blame them for mistakes. I think its cheap how they can antagonize the players and coaches, and how they are so arrogant about how they NEVER make mistakes. I remember a playoff game a few years back which had a terrible call. After the game, the reporters were talking to the officials with them sitting at a table. The umpire who made the bad call sat in a chair, slouched back, hands in his jacket with one of the most arrogant "f**k you look I have ever seen.

That is the problem.
              Last edited by Rudy8116; 05-31-2011, 01:15 AM.
              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post

Really? Really? Jim ----ing Joyce?

Lack of replay, IMO, automatically disqualifies you from being the best at officiating.
                This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Well, what does replay judge? In bounds or out? Did you shoot the ball before the clock expired? Did the puck cross the line?

NBA officials are the worst. Michael Jordan is the greatest player ever because anyone near him when he went to the hole was called for a foul. Jim Joyce made a mistake, and he owned it. NBA referees clearly protect guys that are considered stars. It's one thing when you make a mistake, it's another when it is systemic. Seriously, the NBA is basically one step above wrestling. Didn't they have a ref who tried to fix games?

btw, Michael Jordan is not the greatest NBA player ever. That would be Magic Johnson, and it's not even close.

You can't base your argument on one call. Every sport has many examples. It's a game played by humans, officiated by humans. If we want technology to rule the game, let's let technology play the game. How much fun would that be?
                  Last edited by JJHunsacker; 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I miss when the little fits were only thrown by the managers. I miss belly bumping and dirt kicking. I also miss the ump standing there like they didn't exist. Then whenever they said something bad. Usually the f bomb. The ump got to toss em. Also, for the record. UMPS ARE BLIND!
                    If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Your life is NOT my fault.

What part of NO did you not understand?

Comment

f*ck baseball. Its boring and slow. I'd rather watch turtles race on their shells upside down and backwards blindfolded. Watching baseball is like watching grass grow.
                      Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4553 users online. 254 members and 4299 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X