Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justin Verlander No Hitter #2

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Justin Verlander No Hitter #2

    At least he wasn't robbed of a perfect game. Walked a guy in the 8th.

    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-of-his-career

  • #2
    He faced the minimum as well. The guy he walked was erased on a double play.

    Comment


    • #3
      Congratulations. Now only 5 more to catch the greatest of all time, Nolan Ryan.
      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
        Congratulations. Now only 5 more to catch the greatest of all time, Nolan Ryan.
        Yep. One of the best exhibits at Cooperstown is a display that has balls from every no hitter since 1930. There is a whole lot of Nolan Ryan there. Favorite pitcher of all time. Mickey Lolich is a close second. Name another guy in the modern era who won 47 games over two seasons.

        Comment


        • #5
          By modern I mean after the mound was lowered.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
            Yep. One of the best exhibits at Cooperstown is a display that has balls from every no hitter since 1930. There is a whole lot of Nolan Ryan there. Favorite pitcher of all time. Mickey Lolich is a close second. Name another guy in the modern era who won 47 games over two seasons.
            Us Rangers fans are VERY lucky to have him running the team now. Thank God we finally go rid of Tom Hicks.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes you are.

              I remember as a 9th grader, our Algebra teacher also was a football/baseball coach. He was talking about seeing a game at Tiger Stadium when Ryan was with the Angels. All he said was "There is a noticeable difference."

              Comment


              • #8
                I miss Tiger stadium....

                Congrats to Verlander...a reason he is a stable on my fantasy baseball teams.
                "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stillamarine View Post
                  I miss Tiger stadium....

                  Congrats to Verlander...a reason he is a stable on my fantasy baseball teams.
                  Me too. I was at the last game there. Robert Fick hit a grand slam pretty close to where Reggie Jackson hit his "light tower" shot in the 1971 All Star Game. It was just a great place to be. We'd park in a neighborhood, give some kid a buck to "watch our car", walk over I-75, and camp in the centerfield bleachers. The best seats were first couple rows of the upper deck behind home plate extending out to first or third base. Right on top of the action.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Update: Verlander had a no hitter through 5.2 innings tonight before giving up an RBI triple to Melky Cabrera. Helluva run.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Verlander's line tonight, 8 innings, two hits, one run, a pair of walks. The guy is a lot of fun to watch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                        Congratulations. Now only 5 more to catch the greatest of all time, Nolan Ryan.
                        The greatest at no hitters and strikeouts, yes. The greatest pitcher of all time, far from it. Not even in the top ten. Seaver, Carlton, Kofax, Maddux and Pedro are five off the top of my head that were better.

                        Nolan won 300, a great feat but his winning percentage wasn't that great. Many had better career era's than he did as well.


                        "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I hear ya, but throwing 7 no hitters and striking out over 5700 guys does carry some cache. Koufax was the best. I think every baseball fan knows that. But Nolan Ryan was unique. When you are listening to a transistor radio and you can tell when Ryan is pitching, that's a pretty big deal.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nolan Ryan did what none of those guys ever did. And you put up a great list. There was nobody like Nolan Ryan. He wasn't the greatest pitcher ever, but he was probably the one guy nobody ever wanted to face. You throw 7 no hitters and strike out over 5,000 guys in your career, that's a pretty good sign that you were feared.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                              Nolan Ryan did what none of those guys ever did. And you put up a great list. There was nobody like Nolan Ryan. He wasn't the greatest pitcher ever, but he was probably the one guy nobody ever wanted to face. You throw 7 no hitters and strike out over 5,000 guys in your career, that's a pretty good sign that you were feared.
                              Agreed. Plus I have some love for Nolan because he began his career with the Mets and was a member of the 1969 World Series Championship Team. Then they traded him for Jim Fregosi. Imagine Seaver, Ryan and Koosman all on the same staff.

                              Even more amazing about Nolan having seven is that the Mets, despite their pitching rich history, have never had a no-no. Yet, here is a list of players who pitched no-nos either before or after they became Mets:

                              Ryan, 7 and all after
                              Seaver, after
                              Gooden, after
                              Mike Scott, after
                              Al Leiter, before
                              Hideo Nomo, before and after
                              David Cone, after

                              Pedro never pitched a no-no but I believe he did pitch nine innings of no hit ball. He took a no hitter into the tenth before giving up a hit.

                              Finally, what is even more amazing is that Mets pichers have 29 one hitters.


                              "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6021 users online. 343 members and 5678 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X