Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaineSqueeze
    replied
    I was at that game, that was a good one to be at.

Leave a comment:

• IAD50
    replied
    Lets Go Red Sox!!!

Man I love Fenway! I love the games. I love the fans. I love sitting in the grand stand! I love it!!!!!

I went to the July 7 game this year, EXCELLENT!!!

Sully, I heard that a family has had season tickets at Fenway for 80 years. I also heard that the Manegement put in 2 wide seats somewhere behind home plate for that particular family because they had held tickets for so long!

Leave a comment:

• Sully49
    started a topic Red Sox Fans Set New Record

Red Sox Fans Set New Record

Boston fans set record straight
    Fenway sold out for 456th game
    By Adam Kilgore, Globe Staff | September 9, 2008

The ownership group of John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino became responsible for the Boston Red Sox in 2001, and the warnings immediately followed. Nothing could prepare them, they heard ad nauseum, for the fervor that surrounds the franchise they had just taken over.

They understand that first hand now, perhaps never better than last night. The group achieved another milestone in its staggering tenure steering the Red Sox, selling out Fenway Park for a record-breaking 456th consecutive game. The Cleveland Indians, who sold out Jacobs Field 455 consecutive games from June 12, 1995 to April 2, 2001, now are in second place. In batting 1.000 on filling Fenway Park's seats since May 15, 2003, the Sox sold 16,298,530 tickets without tearing up a single one.

"I never could have imagined anything like this," Henry said last night, standing alongside Lucchino and Werner in front of the Red Sox dugout. "Everyone said at the beginning, 'You have no idea what you're in for with regards to the fans in Red Sox Nation.' And I think that's been proven over this streak. It's just an incredible accomplishment by the fans, by Larry, and the organization."

The Red Sox, through their records and a team-run website, will try to build a list of every fan who attended a game at Fenway during the streak and then submit those names to the Hall of Fame. The team issued commemorative tickets to each fan who attended last night's game, and select players greeted fans at each entrance. No free hot dogs or Cokes, but "we considered it," Werner said, chuckling.

The Red Sox sweated through several close calls to the streak's survival during September 2006, when they stumbled down the stretch and eventually finished in third place in the American League East. A few of the roughly 700 tickets sold each day to walk-up customers remained on sale until the first pitch neared, but each time, someone came and snapped them up.

The lesson the owners learned on those days allows them to appreciate how unlikely and tenuous such a feat is - rotten weather or an oddly scheduled game could have busted the streak, no matter how competitive the team. They also look at the Indians for another important lesson. Once Cleveland stopped fielding an annual playoff contender, seats became barren.

"They fell on some harder times," said Lucchino, the Sox president and CEO. "This can change. The commitment to winning is there, and I think fans know that commitment to win will be there."

There also will be more seats to fill. Lucchino said capacity will not be able to surpass 40,000 without altering the basic structure of the park, but that the Sox will look for more ways to expand, which has been a constant process under the group that ushered in, among other alterations, seats above the Green Monster and in the upper deck down the right field line. The capacity is currently 37,400 for night games, and 36,984 for day games because part of the center-field bleachers are covered up for the batter's eye.

The Red Sox have become a home-field juggernaut during the sellout streak, going 296-149 entering last night's game, good for a .651 winning percentage.

"We have a deep appreciation for the fans, for the loyalty and the competency of their support," Lucchino said. "When you've been in baseball, there's something about it. But until you're hear and you see it demonstrated day after day and game after game, month after month and year after year, you can never truly appreciate it.

"It's not a Red Sox record. It's a Red Sox fans record."

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4381 users online. 303 members and 4078 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X