300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earl Campbell #34

Doctors say football legend Earl Campbell underwent successful spinal surgery in July. The Hall of Famer is expected to talk about his recovery and condition later today.

The former Oilers and University of Texas star could walk with little assistance the day after surgery. He considers that a miracle.

Campbell will be begin rehabilitation from the surgery later this month. During the operation in July, doctors at Foundation Surgical Hospital removed parts of his spine.

For five years, Campbell suffered lower back, hip and leg pain every day. He's seen doctors and taken Tylenol pain medicine for years and already has had four previous surgeries.

The 53-year-old talked about his back trouble in an interview with Dave Ward at an Oilers reunion last year. Campbell's friend and former coach refereed him to the orthopedic surgeon.

The Heisman Trophy winner's doctors hope in about six months, he can enjoy a game of golf.

Campbell is one of the most notable running backs to ever play college football. In 1977, he left the University of Texas and was the number 1 draft pick by the Oilers. By the end of his pro career, he amassed 10,213 total yards. He ranks 10th in all-time rushing yards in the NFL.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ams&id=6362652

I'm glad he is not in pain anymore. He is such a great football Legend and has done so much for us here in H town.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Yes sir! Earl Campbell! The Tyler Rose and the pride of east Texas! Lord how he was famous around home back in the 70's! A humble giant that ran like a Mack truck and had grown men in the NFL wetting the bed on many a Saturday night before they had to face him on Sunday afternoon. Legend has it that the opposing teams used to prepare their D line and DB's by bringing in a few semi tractor-trailer rigs for them to practice trying to tackle at low speeds.

He never forgot his mama either!

I remember one Sunday during an Oilers game when my new sister-in-law walked through the room and heard my brother and I yelling GO EARL! GO EARL! as he broke free on a long gainer. She waited for us to calm down and asked innocently, "Earl who?" Geez! Ya coulda heard a pin drop! We decided to forgive her since she was a Yank from Ohio and probably just didn't know any better.
    visit my blog if you are so inclined.
    http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
    (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

Comment

aI remember those days. long gone

the best ones back then
      Campbell (duh!!!)
      Bradshaw
      Mean Joe Green
      The Refridgearator Perry
      Troy Ackman
      Bum Phillips
      Tom Landry (the cowboys coach)
      and remember these guys were for real this was before they reaqlly started the 'roid rage stuff!
      Oscar Wilde

Comment

East Texas produced many great football players back in the day (not that I am THAT old! lol)

Tyler gave us Earl, Big Sandy gave us David Overstreet (died way too young after one season with Miami on a visit home),Hooks offered up Billy Simms, White Oak was home to Mike Barber (also of Houston Oiler fame!) and the legendary Max McGee (of the old school GB Packers), Adrian Peterson currently with the Vikings is from Palestine... and the list goes on forever.

What memories of HS headliners! Thanks Chickee for sending me back down memory lane for a minute or two!
        visit my blog if you are so inclined.
        http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
        (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

Comment

glad to walk it with ya!
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Earl Campbell "Big Earl" was one of the best running backs to play. He was a true workhorse who carried the ball way too many times and is now paying the price for all those hard runs and hits. He was unreal in College also as was Hershel Walker and Barry Sanders. Im sorry to hear he is having so much trouble. He is a class act just like Roger Stabaugh and many more of that era...
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I remember watching him running with two or three guys on his back.

Big earl was badass.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4827 users online. 293 members and 4534 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X