300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it started

with Cops. Then all these CSI and forensic shows.
    A&E has the first 48, and now we have a couple more starting up...

Interrogation and jacked.

I know you do this for a living, I Know that most of this is edited and political to the hilt with who they put the camera with.

Question is...........
    Do you think that this "entertainment" is going to far, or even showing things that do not need to be shown. I know with CSI the Hollywood effect is damaging in the court room with out it.

discuss.......................

(I personally can't stand cops or most of the other ones. the FF one is ok..)
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

The new show the interogators is very enamored with our agency. A few of My friends have been on there a couple of times and they have come back for a few more shootings. The crew is pretty nice and pro cop. It has made for more than a few "quotes" of the day during briefings though
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Coming from a slightly different angle here.

I am not a sworn Peace Officer. I am TCLEOSE certified as a detention officer. I work in a county jail setting. I love to watch JAIL on the Fox Network! It is dead on with what I see every day. (My wife can't imagine why I do it all day then come home to watch it on TV! lol)
      visit my blog if you are so inclined.
      http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
      (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

Comment

The First 48 is quite possibly the best show on tv. It's terrible somtimes when the detectives have a very good idea of who did it, but just can't find enough evidence. That's something you will never see on CSI.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You know the episode of The First 48 that sticks out most in my head? It was an episode that took place in Miami. A new young detective was working on his first case. Throughout the episode he is constantly arguing with his girlfriend via the telephone over the fact that he was spending so much time at work. At the end of the episode, after they had arrested the suspect, he goes home to find out she has cleared her stuff out of the apartment and left him.

That episode stays in my thoughts. You really couldn't script something like that.
          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I'm not LE, but i love the First 48. It's probably in my top five shows on TV. I am not bored one second, and it seems real to me, anyway. I even watch the ones i've already seen.

I think it often shows a human side of the detectives too, and i like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
              You know the episode of The First 48 that sticks out most in my head? It was an episode that took place in Miami. A new young detective was working on his first case. Throughout the episode he is constantly arguing with his girlfriend via the telephone over the fact that he was spending so much time at work. At the end of the episode, after they had arrested the suspect, he goes home to find out she has cleared her stuff out of the apartment and left him.

That episode stays in my thoughts. You really couldn't script something like that.
              Yep, that was moving. I remember at the end it showed him asking for them to turn the camera off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                Yep, that was moving. I remember at the end it showed him asking for them to turn the camera off.
                As much respect as that show has given me for the jobs that detectives do, it also has convinced me that being a detective is not what my goal is in law enforcement.
                What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I'm not sworn in either, but as many "cop" shows as I have seen, I think First 48 is the most authentic show. But my opinion is based off of observations I have done and observations of what LE is based off of from my knowledge with ride alongs and such.
                  "It's not how they die, but how they live that makes them a hero."

Originally posted by George Carlin
                  You are not a loser, you are the last winner.

Comment

I think that a lot of the cop shows got away from just entertainment. Some of the old cop shows like NYPD BLUE. HUNTER, SLEDGE HAMMER, THIRD WATCH, ETC... were more about entertainment then teaching everyone that they could process crime scene evidence in their kitchen.
                    Sometimes I would like a show to be more entertainment and less like a crash course in forensic technology.
                    I think part of the problem is the audience loves sterotypes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post

Sounds like an episode that every recruit should have to watch during the academy. Brilliant idea, throwing away personal life, love and relationship because the job became all-consuming. Working hard is the way the job should be done, but when the shift is over, you go home and live your own life. I have seen way too many coworkers wind up divorced because they didn't understand that crime would still be there tomorrow, and cared more about the job than they did about their wives.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I agree the 1st 48 rocks...Another thing I've noticed on the reality cops shows is that they show personal stuff...The kids, the wife/girlfriend, their house, ect...I'm not a LEO, but I would not feel comfortable w/ my personal business out like that...The job is one thing but my personal life will remain in the shadow...
                        sigpic

Comment

I was wondering how the LE community feels about all these shows as well, Texas, so thanks for bringing it up. I hadn't yet searched the forums to find out.

I can say, that since I've taken an interest in a career in LE, I have watched a lot of these shows with a newfound enthusiasm. I do not like the drama shows, and I realize that the "reality" shows that I favor are still not "true to life", but I can not help but think that they are doing a good service to the LE community on a whole. With all the shortages in departments, and from the younger generation mindset of why would I want to be "the man", I think some of these shows (reality) do some real good of depicting the kind of fun and adventerous side of LE. I know it really amps me up just watching.

On the negative side, I know that things like CSI provide a very...skewed view of how things actually happen and the length of time investigations can take.

Comment

Like I've said before, some of the shows (especially CSI) have some positive and negative effects on people.

One positive, some of the lesser intelligent criminals (oxymoron?) believe the CSI stuff to be real, and will confess thinking so (happened to a buddy of mine).

One negative is the "CSI effect" in which juries will want to see the CSI type evidence or even people reporting a crime "can't you dust the gloves to see who broke my window?"

The only reality show I watch anymore is COPS. Other then that, I'll occasionally watch Law/Order and I really like "The Shield". (Not for the 'money train' parts, but the interactions between the other officers)
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6506 users online. 362 members and 6144 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X