300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMTX

Movies from the Dark Side

Since this came up on the Dark Knight thread, I thought it would be interesting to discuss "dark" movies in general.

I've always found myself drawn to movies with a darker tone, especially if the darkness was juxtaposed over otherwise light-hearted or fanciful subject matter. Dark comedies are always a favorite of mine.

So what are your favorite "dark" movies?

In addition to The Dark Knight, my list would include:

The Last Unicorn
    The Phantom Tollbooth
    Heathers
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Edward Scissorhands
    Sweeny Todd
    Welcome to the Dollhouse
    Donnie Darko
    The Science of Sleep
    Silence of the Lambs
    Princess Mononoke
    Jin-roh and the Wolf Brigade
    The Butterfly Effect
    Pitch Black
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Legend
    The Never-ending Story

That's just a short list for starters. I'm sure I'll think of some others as we go!
  • JTShooter
    Sheepdog
    • Jun 2006

American Psycho (another Bale movie) was dark.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• NORCOCOP
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2007

What no anime JMTX, I thought Beserk would be at the top of the list. I liked American Psycho and quite a few of JMTX's selection also. How about Kil Bill and the comic booky movie with Tarantino co directing a few years ago. The name escapes me this late hour but it was pretty killer. It had a slew of stars including Bruce Willis and Jessica Beil if I remember right.

Sorry JMTX I just seen Jin-Roh and Princess Mononoke!

I have been meaning to watch the Bleach series.
      Last edited by NORCOCOP; 07-29-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• JMTX

Oh yah, lots of dark anime!

Death Note takes the cake for dark anime though I think! Wowza, that was an AWESOME series.

Full Metal Alchemist has more than it's fair share of dark episodes too.

Also Vampire Hunter D and Trinity Blood.

Comment

• NORCOCOP
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2007

I like Vampire Hunter D also, but may have to look into a few of the others. How about Ghost in the Shell? Not to dark but I liked it anyway's.

Comment

• JMTX

Honestly? I've never actually seen Ghost in the Shell. Don't tell my friends!

If you haven't seen Death Note, you simply HAVE to. It's not a very long series...maybe 30 episodes? Certainly not more than 50. (Which seems small after watching all 150 some-odd episodes of Inuyasha.)

Death Note is just spectacular. It's a fantasy/crime drama, modern setting.

Oh and Full Metal Alchemist is just awesome, though I'm not through watching them all yet. It's made me cry about 3 times.

Comment

• NORCOCOP
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2007

Huh, when I get some extry time I will have to chekc into them.

How about Dexter, I like it for a series on TV but don't have showtime so I ahve to wait for a while to see the new season.

Comment

• JMTX

I've never seen that one....

I don't watch many shows when they're actually on TV. I rent them from netflix and watch them from beginning to end in my leisure time.

Comment

• NORCOCOP
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2007

It is intresting and I like to do the whole renting it all once thing too, I can't stand waiting for weeks, months, or years for resolution. But the Dexter series is catchy, the good guy is a real sicko who meats out some seroius street justice to some really deserving recipients.

Comment

• JMTX

If you like that you might indeed like Death Note.

It's about this guy named Light who finds this magical notebook. If you write someone's name in the book, they die (you can effect the time, method, circumstanes, etc.)

He's the son of a police chief and decides to use the Notebook to kill criminals. He basically becomes a vigilante but his heart is initially in the right place.

However, the police figure out that someone is causing the death of all these criminals and set up a task force to catch him. The task force is lead by this awesome detective AND Light's Father.

As things go on, Light becomes power hungry and corrupt and ends having to kill tons of innocent people to keep from getting caught himself...he becomes an extremely dark character.

Comment

• NORCOCOP
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2007

Well Dexter actually seems to have been heading the opposite direction, he is a loner serial killer who kills other serial killers and in not so nice ways. He uses his job in forenics, blood spatter analysis, to aid in detection and elimination of victims. But as the show progresses he becomes less detached from others, however his killing spree continues unabated.
                      Last edited by NORCOCOP; 07-29-2008, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• JMTX

Hmm...I will have to check that one out.

Comment

• Armitage
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2005

+1000000000 on Death Note! My wife got me into it after she read about it on one of her message boards - we bought the first book one night, both finished it, and the next day I went back and bought books 2-12!! Finally finished the series the other day, and now we want to rent the DVDs as they look pretty good.

Not to mention, the various parodies on youtube are pretty damn funny, particularly the "Chocolate" one (Deathnote with a Spongebob voiceover).

Comment

• M-11
                            One man Wolfpack
                            • May 2006

Donnie Darko is one of my favorites.

"What are Feces?"

"Baby Mice."

"AWwwwwwwww!"

Lets see, Good dark movies

Blade Runner,
                            The first CROW,
                            Catch 22,
                            Omega Man,
                            Curse of the Vampire,
                            Dog Soldiers (Possibly the best Werewolf/British Military movie ever)
                            Very Bad things (Just gets sicker and sicker, JMTX would love it)

I'll add more as Ithink of them

M-11
                            “All men dream...... But not equally..
                            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

• TheKansan
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2008

I truly enjoy movies that spiral downward from the beginning.

One that comes to mind is Memento.
                              Another one would be Requiem for a Dream.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19564 users online. 35 members and 19529 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...