X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyLawman
    I'M BAAAAACK HEHHEHEHE
    • Jan 2005

Over There

Ok now that we covered Rescue Me in another Thread. Has any of you caught Over There?? I tell you I have no idea what its like over in Iraq or even in Afghanistan but this show makes it all seem very real. From the things the soldiers are going through to the families at home. If you havent Caught it you need to catch it!!
    I've got friends in low places
  • Contact
    MadMan
    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by LadyLawman
    Ok now that we covered Rescue Me in another Thread. Has any of you caught Over There?? I tell you I have no idea what its like over in Iraq or even in Afghanistan but this show makes it all seem very real. From the things the soldiers are going through to the families at home. If you havent Caught it you need to catch it!!

I think it is a very entertaining series that has a lot of grit about it. Definitely a lot of entertainment value, if you take it only as a television show, and nothing more.

That being said, I do not think it was very tasteful to market a television show depicting a war we are still actively fighting this very second. The television show constantly shows soldiers in life threatening, and downright scary situations (killing the little girl, then walking up to a vehicle that may or may not explode) and I can see how as a parent or even knowing a person involved in the war could seriously scare you. I could see myself if I had a friend involved in this war watching it and asking myself "Is this really what they are doing over there?" That would scare the hell out of me.

It would've been good if we had not been involved in this war, but the fact that we are still "over there" taints the program for me.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

• LadyLawman
      I'M BAAAAACK HEHHEHEHE
      • Jan 2005

I think the way they depict it is very close to reality and I think thats what most people have a problem with. Thats the thing you cant make this like the war movies of World war II or even the Veitnam war. Hell during he Vietnam war people were watching them kill and bomb women and children during dinner on the evening news. I think in a way its good that we see some idea even if it is on a television show of what our soldiers are really dealing with over there. They have to watch kids as well as adults over there there are so many insurgents that use thier own children its jut sad. War is definetly not to be Glamourized by no means and thats what I like about it its not really glamorizing it its kinda putting it in your face. I have had the chance to talk to a couple of young ones that have returned one of them is on disability becase a RPG hit his leg but didnt explode and the "kid" that shot it at him was 12 yrs old. I trully cant even begin to imagine what these people are going through and what they will be like when they return. I guess like I said that is why I like the show its kinda in your face and if its something people dont like at least we can turn the channel then men and women over there can only wait till their shipping orders are recieved to go home.
      I've got friends in low places

Comment

• keith758
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2004

I watch the show, but it's not a pleasant hour of entertainment. Knowing that our troops are facing the things they are taints the "entertainment" of the series, though at least it doesn't show our forces in a negative light.
        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17177 users online. 20 members and 17157 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...