• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movie: the great raid

seen this historical movie and liked it very much,
    no academy award winner, but let the truth be known
    how the japanese committed murder's and almost got away with
    whole slaughter of a entire p.o.w. camp of americans.

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Thanks for the review! I've been planning on seeing the movie myself. Was wondering how it was going to be.

Comment

Just don't forget the cultural differences before passing judgement on the Japanese! To them, any POW has lost honor, honor is a value that has been ingraned in their society since before pilgrims ever set foot on north American soil. Had we treated our Japanese POW's in a similar fashion I don't believe they would have questioned it. Besides, I've read life at interncamps wasn't much fun either =[

Comment

FOR THAT TIME PERIOD....I WILL PASS JUDGEMENT...

they started a war, killed hundreds of thousands of people

worldwide, an interment camp was the hilton hotel ,

with america, we live and we learn.

and president truman did the right thing too..!............

Comment

You have one thing to mention as of yet which we have not done aswell. Our hands run with blood. Don't get me wrong, I'm damned proud of being American but I also have to realize that before I say "DAMN JAPS!!!" I have to remember how we came to be (native American genocide) and other questionable acts we have made.

Comment

Originally posted by AkhilleusWeeps
            Besides, I've read life at interncamps wasn't much fun either =[

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
            FOR THAT TIME PERIOD....I WILL PASS JUDGEMENT...
            they started a war, killed hundreds of thousands of people
            worldwide, an interment camp was the hilton hotel ,
            with america, we live and we learn.
            and president truman did the right thing too..!............
            You're right about the internment camps. It was practically a vacation.

I just saw the movie ten minutes ago. It was good. It may be academy award material.

Comment

It was vacation for an American citizen to be profiled, taken from their home, forced to sell all their belongings dirt cheap to heartless people, and be denied their rights as American citizens? I'd hate to see where you and yours go for vacationing.

Comment

what can i say, american were a bit paranoid about these people
                living here, where the majority of the people were from european
                decent and shared the same religion, we knew nothing of the loyalty
                of these people, just the way we do not know the loyalty of
                muslim/islamic/ american, and i hate to say it...religion plays a part
                in it.

god bless america !!! and our way of life........

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
                  what can i say, american were a bit paranoid about these people
                  living here, where the majority of the people were from european
                  decent and shared the same religion, we knew nothing of the loyalty
                  of these people, just the way we do not know the loyalty of
                  muslim/islamic/ american, and i hate to say it...religion plays a part
                  in it.

god bless america !!! and our way of life........
                  Major BUMP!

Comment

Word =]

I was just hoping this movie wouldn't spur ethnocentric point of views, the whole "America never does anything bad, the rest of the world is screwed and needs fixing" POV. A movie is a movie, an interpretation and overall fictional, but history reveals truth!

Comment

It doesn't do that at all. It's basically a movie about heroism, sacrifice, and patriotism. A very worthwile non-discriminating movie. Of course it is very accurate too. So, if you're Japanese you might get offended.

Comment

Something to think about...

The raid on the Cabanatuan (which The Great Raid is based on) is a true story. Elements of the 6th Ranger Battalion staged a daring raid on this camp, along with members from the Alamo Scouts and Pajota's guerillas (not an all inclusive list). This raid was conducted because the Japanese were getting desperate as the war was winding down and they were losing. The begun to execute their POWs, often in horrific fashions such as mass burnings and beheadings with swords. Word about Cabanatuan got out only because a few prisoners were lucky enough to escape and warn the higher ups about it.

This raid saved hundreds of American POW lives, and THAT is what this movie is about.

History shows that the Japanese were brutal to not only Allied POWs but also to the Filipinos, Chinese and whoever else were unlucky enough to be conquered by them during that time frame. This is true, and well documented. Read the book "The Rape of Nanking", it is clear, yet quite disturbing look at Japanese war atrocities. Things like throwing Chinese babies in the air and catching them with rifle bayonets.

The movie does not sugarcoat how the American soldiers felt about the Japanese. Using words such as "Jap" and "Nip" were common for the time. Right or wrong, they were used. This movie accurately captures that history.
                        Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

here is one for ya...

the u.s. citizens of japanese ancestry used to fight

the nazi war machine, are very note worthy hero's....

the native american's, used to talk code, are hero's as well.

they did their part in keeping america safe.

god bless them, god bless america , god bless the american way of life !..

Comment

Okay, but why did everyone miss my point?

I was just stating the fact that the way they treated POW's was determined largely by their culture, not because they were evil men. As you said about the beheadings, if you know anything about Japanese history you'll know that once you have been defeated in battle and lost honor the only way to keep your pride would be sepukku, suicide in which you would be beheaded to keep it painless. Also, war brings about the best and worst in men, we've done other horrible things during war time too so its kind of redundant to say these people are evil due to those actions. What I meant about the movie being fictional was not the theme but rather the detailed events, remember its all scripted and directed which means its largely an interpretation. With different actors and directors we'd have a largely different film with the same theme.

All in all, a great film. Sorry for sending the wrong messages here, I just didn't want anyone thinking "damn Jap's," just the same as I cringe when people get a negative idea about ALL AMERICANS from the mistakes of our brethern, as they walked out the theater. Believe you me, to many are easily subdued by the media.
                            Last edited by AkhilleusWeeps; 08-14-2005, 11:08 PM.

Comment

O.K You've ruffled my feathers! My Grandfather was on board the LST 713 stationed at Pearl Harbor. They arrived August 7, 1941. They spent what they thought was a little over 3 months in paradise before the JAPANESSE! raided the island killing service men and women and innocent CHILDREN and CIVILIANS. He lost a lot of his fellow crew members and friends December 7 1941. After that he was shipped to Okinawa and Iwo Jima where he watched the JAPANESSE cut the heads off of his fellow servicemen. Lots of AMERICANS were taken to P.O.W camps where they were tortured and murdered. The Japanesse Americans that were detained here were treated very well. One such camp was about 30 miles from here at a Tomato cannery......Where my Grandmother worked. War is HELL,... if the Japanesse didn't want the repercussions they should have thought twice! My other Grandfather was an amry pilot who flew a lot of raids. He latter joined the Air Force in 47 when it was started.
                              I have no sympathy for the Japanesse whe it comes to Hiroshima. Would we have done it had DEC 7th not happen....NO. At that point in time the United States had to interests in getting into the war even though we were being presurred by Allied nations to join in the fight.
                              If you want a history lesson I'll give it to you......I MAJORED IN HISTORY.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6478 users online. 350 members and 6128 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X