300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your verdict on Thor?

I prefer the non 3-D films, so I'm sharing on the 2-d version...BTW...

Okay, we (the manchild and I) were firmly in our seats about 25 mins. prior to go time. The theatre filled up to almost max capacity. Never got up at any time to refresh or visit the bathroom. Pretty much the entire audience follwed suit.

It was, when in Asgaard, very visually stimulating. The trips to New Mexico and Jotenheim (sp?) were not so spectacular...but I guess that was the point. The scenery in Asgaard was similar to the rich Jack Kirby panels of my youth. As far as characters go, I think that's where the disconnect might be...I stopped buying and reading comics in the late 70's. When did Thor get all the equal opportunity pals? When did Heimdahl become black, or was it always so, and where and how did the Asian guy get into Asgaard? It's based on Norse mythology, okay?????

Please, don't pull a race card from the deck! I'd ask the same question if I was watching a Kurosawa film on samurais and the main character had a white friend name Lars Olafson, or if I was watching a film about Shaka Zulu and before he went to war his boyhood friend, Myron Finklestein invited him over for a Passover Seder after the conclusion of battle....some things just don't make sense to me.

Anyways, it's all connected to the current S.H.E.I.L.D. subplot with Agent Colson and (the now African American) Nick Fury.....yes, you need to stay to the very end of the credits.

Still it was very entertaining and held my interest. I give it three-and-a-half out of five badges.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Only super hero movies I care about are the Batman ones. I enjoyed the latest Hulk (Ed Norton), as well.

Comment

I liked Ed Norton's Hulk as well. Unfortunately he will not be playing Hulk again. At least not in the Avengers movie...
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

We saw it and our verdict was, overall, very good...yes, there were some interesting parts (yeah, I also wondered where the various cultures came from in an epically Nordic, and white, tale.) Good humor, Avengers and SHIELD connections all over the place...it was fun. Go see it.

Not bad in 3D, either, although not necessary.
        "All that is, ever
        Ever was, will be, ever
        Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

I was quite impressed by it. I didn't think too much into the various races and whatnot. I was hoping for a good popcorn flick to shut my mind off to and that's what was served up.

Me personally, I'm excited for the upcoming Avengers movie and I think Marvel's doing it right getting everyone familiar with the major players in their own movies. Next years gonna be good.

Comment

They need to STOP making comic book movies. The best is obviously Dick Tracy
            Stay safe out there

"Cancel that central, its a moose"

Comment

We saw it yesterday and thought it was awesome. Very creative storyline, and I thought the guy playing Thor did a great job with the "god-out-of-water" bits.

Since the premiss is that these are real realms that exist, and that their contact with Earth in the past became the stuff of mythology makes who gets cast in the film immaterial.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with the OP's comments. I do not watch 3-D movies. The movie was decent, however they seriously messed up a much of mythology aspects in the movie. Oh well it was somewhat entertaining. 3/5 sounds about right to me.

Comment

I really enjoyed Thor. I saw it twice opening weekend, with different people and I'll buy it on Blu-Ray when it comes out. And now I'm waiting for the Captain America movie.

Originally posted by Exodus259
                  However, I'm really tired of these Marvel movies lately. Every one of them connect to this stupid Avengers movies coming out. Hulk started it with Tony Stark showing up at the end, Iron Man 1. Iron man 2 was nothing more then one big hype up for Avengers and focused more on that then anything, and at the end they showed the hint of Thor. Now Thor is doing it too. It's getting stupid . . .
                  That's because.......................... THEY ARE ALL AVENGERS!!!

I don't get it. If you're tired of these movies and think they're stupid, why do you watch them?

And I've got a spoiler alert for you.............

Captain America is an Avenger too. His movie will be a direct lead in to the Avengers movie. And you'll probably find it to be "stupid", so you may want to skip it.

Comment

I'll admit I'm not a big Captain America fan, but I'll probably see it for the whole Avengers thing....which I personally am digging in the movies. Heck, it's part of the fun of movies like Thor...finding all the connections. The dude with the bow on the crane? An Avenger also....Hawkeye.
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever
                    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post
                      The dude with the bow on the crane? An Avenger also....Hawkeye.
                      Yeah, I missed it when Agent Colson called him by name, I thought so.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I do want to see Captain America.

Comment

The real Thor does not shave his chest.

M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Big comic geek here. Also typically critical of comic movies as a result so read this with that in mind.

Thor sucked, as expected. I never really enjoyed Thor as a comic character, because I felt combining these mythological characters (also Hercules) with the comic world (which might be considered a form of science fiction), just didnt blend. So, taking it from there to the big screen, to me, emphasizes this disconnect even more.
                            That being said, I went in with low expectations and Thor pretty much failed to meet them.

Now, X-men first class trailers (despite CLEARLY not following the comics) look awesome.
                            www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5779 users online. 345 members and 5434 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X