X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishAK
    replied
    Originally posted by Floyd_jones View Post
    I found this while skimming through some boards, and it makes perfect sense!

I was thinking something along those lines, actually. Not precisely, but there are or at least could be many metaphors, symbols, etc. in this movie. That's the killer, just trying to pick apart the fantasy from the real story. But then again, maybe there is no "right" way to interpret it.

Leave a comment:

• Floyd_jones
    replied
    Originally posted by fishAK View Post
    Yet another very good, and very unanswered question....lol. I also want to know:

Did Baby Doll actually get lobotomized? There was no visible mark or blood on her. Or was it part of Sweet Pea's fantasy?
    I found this while skimming through some boards, and it makes perfect sense!

Let's look at it this way. When Babydoll first arrived at the asylum, she saw the girls (Amber, Rocket, Blondie, and Sweet Pea). After this the film goes to a fast-forward montage; First, she noticed the items she should collect (map, fire, knife, key). And the movie shows Baby lined up with the four girls, meaning she's been close to them literally. And the montage ends with High Roller going to lobotomize Baby. And at that point, the movie takes us to Baby's imagination; The brothel.

The brothel reality starts off with the play of Baby's Surgery; with Sweet Pea and the gang as the actors. This means that Baby retrace her days in the asylum and 'translate' it into a glamor version of it, all during the lobotomy.

Now, as I read from other threads, the girls Baby saw the first time became the representation Baby's personality in the fantasy world (Sweet Pea; Strength. Rocket; Optimism. Blondie; Fear. Amber; ?). The death of the girls could possibly represent the feelings Baby lose during the lobotomy.

And the scene with Sweet Pea's escape? It's a metaphor of Baby's mind of going away, or escape.

And then it zaps back to reality, post-lobotomy, and notice how Dr. Gorski says 'she helped a "patient" escape'. Until the last shot of Baby's 'dreaming' face and closes her eyes, then the fantasy begins again; The fantasy of 'Sweet Pea' leaving town, complete with the recurring Wiseman(a sign of a fantasy) and that boy from the trench.

Leave a comment:

• GPC
    replied
    Originally posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
    so is it worth going to see or not?
    Most definitely worth seeing but, dang it was weird while being a good movie also.

Leave a comment:

• SBSO_DISPATCHER
    replied
    Originally posted by fishAK View Post
    I thought it was. I might even see it again.
    I'm sure it will be on blu ray soon...

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    I thought it was. I might even see it again.

Leave a comment:

• SBSO_DISPATCHER
    replied
    so is it worth going to see or not?

Leave a comment:

• Bounce
    replied
    that's what makes european movies interesting... they often don't tie everything up in a neat package.

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    My son and I saw it and both liked it...had a very good discussion about were the lines blurred.

I loved the ending!

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Originally posted by Floyd_jones View Post
    What I wanna know:

Since the brothel was just an illusion, were the other girls really killed?
    Yet another very good, and very unanswered question....lol. I also want to know:

Did Baby Doll actually get lobotomized? There was no visible mark or blood on her. Or was it part of Sweet Pea's fantasy?

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    It was a visually stunning, artistic movie. In IMAX, it was visually and audibly beautiful at times. But, I have to admit, without that element I doubt I would have liked it nearly as much. Too many questions/holes in the plot that just didn't get answered, and unlike some movies where that's the point and they leave you thinking, this one was just more like WTF? It's like I wasn't paying attention somewhere and missed some plot element that was really important to closing the movie out.

Leave a comment:

• Murf425
    replied
    It was exactly what I expected it to be: a really dumb movie that looked good in IMAX. I thought the movie sucked, but for some odd reason it was entertaining at the same time. I guess it boils down to this: it kept me interested on a big screen, but I would've turned it off halfway through if watching it on a tv at home.

However, I can't say that I was disappointed, because I wasn't expecting much. I went to see it just because it looked like a good movie to be my first IMAX experience...not because I thought the movie itself would be any good.

Leave a comment:

• cbr600_kitty
    replied
    I thought it sucked.

Leave a comment:

• Floyd_jones
    replied
    What I wanna know:

Since the brothel was just an illusion, were the other girls really killed?

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Code Seven--that is the question, when you break it all down, isn't it? Still don't know...

Good flick, though!

Leave a comment:

• Code_Seven
    replied
    Yeah, I watched it last night and I still dunno what happened. Haha. It was a great movie though, on that I'm sure of.

By the way, fishAK, I have a semi-response to your spoiler alert in my own below this text.

Remember in the beginning when they were talking about the various shapes guardian angels could take? Scott Glenn's character was the guardian angel. The question I'm still wondering is, was he Baby Doll's or Sweet Pea's?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6031 users online. 348 members and 5683 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X