300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tunes

hey going to get a new cpu, so that means Ill have to start up a new Itunes thingy. Myquestion is; is there anyway I can save the play counts ect from this computer? I would hate to go through 60 gig of music and redo all the stars and preferences of each song. Any help? I cant find a GD way to contact the itunes people, and get one of them to respond, SOOOOOOOOOO Im hoping one of you guys will be able to help out. For a min, I was getting a lot of PM, but then... I guess I am just a rather boring person in PM.....

**** maybe in post... I dont know. either way any help would be great.
    Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

I just posed the SAME EXACT question yesterday on another board I moderate on...here are some of the useful replies, some from Apple employees:

Originally posted by NSBCruiser
    use a FireWire and connect the two computers and then you can transfer everything over. I did this when I switched from PC to Mac a few years ago. Your apple computer should have a program that will transfer everything over for you (music, pictures, documents...)
    Originally posted by Ordoman
    If it's a G4 (not sure about newer) you can mount your old laptop as a disk on your new one. You just need to connect them with firewire and reboot the old one while holding the t key (for target).

Once you've done this I'm pretty sure you can just copy the whole Itunes directory over.
    Another option would be to download a free program such as irip(a mac program) or yamipod(a pc program). These program allows you to connect an ipod with another computers music and rip it on the destination computer. Its an easy solution, although I would just connect via ethernet or firewire.
    Originally posted by Layonn
    This is what i did when i needed to reboot my computer. I deleted everything off my ipod. Enabled "use as disk" so it was basically a 30gb memory stick. Saved all of my music and videos onto the ipod. (they are not playable on the ipod when stored like this). Then i just loaded them back onto my computer after rebooting it. If the other method doesn't work, this method is another way.

This is also an easy method of pirating music from your friends computer as long as they didn't buy their music from iTunes. iTunes music has DRM (it is locked in a sense). I don't advocate doing this, because of the legality and all. But it is an option out there.
    (this is the Apple employee)

I found these responses to be the better ones.

Comment

I always found the Apple forum to be helpful. I recently bought a new laptop and switched all my music from my desktop to my laptop and then redid the iPod. But I didn't really care about the ratings or play counts (I actually have them blocked).

Anyways, try if the other ways didn't work for you, try here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa
      Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Thanks.

i do not know why, but the play count qnd ratings matter to me. probly a personal thing. Such is the way and all.

thanks and all.
        I got a couple o Weeks to figure this thing out.
        Some say to take action and to fail is to die a dogs death. I say to live, and fail to take action is to live a dogs life.

Comment

Originally posted by mpdc View Post
          Thanks.

i do not know why, but the play count qnd ratings matter to me. probly a personal thing. Such is the way and all.

thanks and all.
          I got a couple o Weeks to figure this thing out.
          I used to do it, but it got tiring. I only use iTunes for uploading my iPod anyways. When tagging my music (I use Media Monkey for tagging and playing), I will normally put in ratings at that time.

Hope it works out for ya
          Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

I tried to move my music from a Windows XP desktop system (old) to a Windows Vista laptop (new). I loaded the music onto a flash drive. When I tried to load it into the new iTunes in the laptop, it made me load one song at a time. GAH! 20 songs took about 45 minutes. Ferget that....now I'm trying to find a way to just load it into iTunes from the iPod. Makes it a bit easier....but there's hacking involved (apparently). Why does everything have to be so danged complicated?

Comment

iTunes File -> Back up to disk.

I moved a good 4 gigs of music using 2 cds doing this. To my knowledge it saves everything....but Im making no promises..
              "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
              Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
              Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                I tried to move my music from a Windows XP desktop system (old) to a Windows Vista laptop (new). I loaded the music onto a flash drive. When I tried to load it into the new iTunes in the laptop, it made me load one song at a time. GAH! 20 songs took about 45 minutes. Ferget that....now I'm trying to find a way to just load it into iTunes from the iPod. Makes it a bit easier....but there's hacking involved (apparently). Why does everything have to be so danged complicated?
                20 songs in 45 minutes?? I moved over 180gbs of music in less time then that and then just moved whole cds into into iTunes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5647 users online. 320 members and 5327 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X