thanks
    America, Land of the Free because of the Brave

To make it taste better.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

A long time ago, there was a guy who was drunk and trying to do home repairs. He got thirsty and forgetting he had vodka in his cup, he got thirsty and poured in some orange juice in it. After taking a drink and realizing his error, he played with the mixture and used a screwdriver to stir it.
      http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For the pansies that can't drink it straight.
        "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

Originally posted by JSODEP5338 View Post
          Thank You!

Comment

To the teenager (assuming parental permission):

Alcohol is absorbed directly through the lining of the the digestive tract, so it doesn't matter much how diluted it is if the same volume of it is taken, except that if it is mixed with soda, it is absorbed more quickly.

Alcohol is toxic, and if you smell straight 90% grain alcohol (180 proof), you'll notice that. Don't try to drink any of that -- it's dangerous and harmful. People dilute alcohol in various ways to distribute the toxicity.

People have a rate at which they feel comfortable consuming liquids, and they can consume alcohol less rapidly if they dilute it. That way they can experience the pleasant effects over a longer period of time, and retain their good judgement enough to know when to say when.

Most whiskey has about 8 times the alcohol content per fluid ounce that beer has, about 4 times that of wine, about twice that of fortified wines such as portos or sherries.

That means a six ounce wineglass needs only 1-1/2 ounces of whiskey to have the same alcohol content as 6 ounces of wine, leaving room for 4-1/2 ounces of mixer.

Some persons like something stronger, but if they drink it straight, they generally either take it from a shotglass, sip it slowly, or both.

Of course there's such a thing as irresponsible drinking. There's too much, too often, and too long. It's maybe possible to get away with any two, but do all three and it's almost sure to get you, and take too much even once and it could get you in numerous ways.

I must advocate that you not take alcohol while you're underage, although I think it only fair to admit that I'm not exactly the holiest of saints about that.

Drinking can be a serious problem, and some people shouldn't do it at all, especially when they're underage. There's a greater potential for "hard-wiring" your system for alcohol processing while you're doing all that teen-years growing, and consequently a greater risk of habituation.

I don't think the occasional glass of wine at dinner with parents or one beer at a family picnic is inappropriate for a 17-year old, and if a teen is curious about alcohol, a responsible parent might want to inculcate responsible behaviors regarding it.

Of course, don't take alcohol if you're going to be driving. Please read up on how little is actually too much: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa52.htm

Please be safe, and enjoy a healthy and productive life.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

I am obviously very tired. I read that as "For the *penises* that can't drink it straight." You guys are corrupting me!

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's to make it palatable. Alcohol tastes like crap, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                  A long time ago, there was a guy who was drunk and trying to do home repairs. He got thirsty and forgetting he had vodka in his cup, he got thirsty and poured in some orange juice in it. After taking a drink and realizing his error, he played with the mixture and used a screwdriver to stir it.
                  Oh yeah? Explain then how he got so "hammered".

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                    Oh yeah? Explain then how he got so "hammered".

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
                    He fell off the wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by icecoldblueyes View Post
                      To make it taste better.
                      Damnit you stole my answer LOL

Comment

http://cocktails.about.com/od/cockta...xddrnk_spk.htm
                        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                        Oscar Wilde

Comment

+1. Period.

There's no other valid reason.
                          1*

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
                            I am obviously very tired. I read that as "For the *penises* that can't drink it straight." You guys are corrupting me!

Thanks
                            World class answer, my daughter fell out when she read it.
                            Last edited by lawandasan; 07-29-2008, 01:22 AM. Reason: capitalizations
                            America, Land of the Free because of the Brave

Comment

When the guy came to my door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I just assumed it was more supplies......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6578 users online. 369 members and 6209 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X