300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Cars

at the moment, i'm just window shopping. i don't really have the money to spare to buy a used car right now. but, i am confused. my dad is a mechanic and he has said that it is better to get late-model reliability. the cars (all right, actually trucks) i am looking at are late model cars, but for what i want, they all have high mileage. the consensus has been that high mileage is bad. is it really?
    When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
    -JPR

Generally, yes. Higher mileage obviously means more wear and tear on the vehicles parts, therefor increasing the chance that something will break whilst you own the vehicle.

However, it's hard to avoid higher mileage whilst shopping for used cars so my advice would be to inquire about what kind of repairs have been made on the vehicle recently.

If you're shopping for trucks, I really recommend a Toyota. They are incredibly reliable and tough. My dad has sworn that the best truck he ever owned was a Toyota

Comment

Depends on the owner, their driving habits, the roads they drove, the maintenance they gave it.

I have a 1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0 I purchased October 2006 from the original owner with 130,000 miles on it, she had had it repainted and a trans rebuilt (by a friend at her church who happens to be "the guy" you want to take one to if within 100 miles, he's got a great reputation) in anticipation of keeping it, but her husband talked her into selling it, I got it for $3,000 which just did cover the new paint and trans work. The front brake pads were new as were the rear shoes and drums (as I discovered when doing some minor work replacing the rear wheel cylinders cause one started leaking).

I had been eyeing it since the first time I saw it parked at that house back in the early '90s, it's a deep plum metalic, unusual color, and only offered on the 92 Sport. She is about our age, early-mid '50s, it was her car and her husband and son are "Chevy" freaks and neither one liked the color which explained why when I saw it on the road, she was always driving it.

I have a new set of Tokico shocks and some upper control arms and lower ball joints for it (upper boots bad, torn, no slop though ... and shocks worn, will replace lowers while there) and I did have to chase a freon leak last summer, but this car uses no oil at all between 3,000 mile changes (I've put over 8,000 on it, I have another older Tbird, a pickup, a newer Merc, a Forester, and some motorcycles & trike I also use, and with a take home police car .... my time with each is limited.), no leaks, trans shifts perfect, it looks good, drives like a champ, great power, 24-26 mpg on the road, (I don't live in a city so no measure there) .... I did replace the radio as when I bought it she said the radio always sounded bad, a replacement on eBay was $20 used, am/fm/cassette .... arrived, install, it's perfect as far as I can tell. For the value in transportation and enjoyment I will get from this car, I feel like I stole it.

Shop carefully,
      and understand that most trucks will eat a limited income up in fuel and maintenance. Ask questions, drive it, and if it feels like something ain't just right, have it looked at by a trusted mechanically minded friend ... someone at l;east well into thier '30s or older who has had some experience with good and bad used vehicles and the clues they give off.

I'ld encourage you to look for cars myself.
      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

<quote> Shop carefully, and understand that most trucks will eat a limited income up in fuel and maintenance. Ask questions, drive it, and if it feels like something ain't just right, have it looked at by a trusted mechanically minded friend ... someone at l;east well into thier '30s or older who has had some experience with good and bad used vehicles and the clues they give off.

I'ld encourage you to look for cars myself.<quote/>
        i understand that, and i am also looking at cars, but i would prefer a truck, especially one with 4-wheel drive, because i will be away from home in college during the winter. i also would want a truck because of the need to haul things to and from home.
        When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
        -JPR

Comment

Id recommend Toyota as well. Theyre really reliable, and parts are pretty easy to get. The problem is finding a decent one. Everyone who gets one drives em into the ground, so theyre usually high mileage. My mom rolled the ODO on her Camry twice, and never had a major mechanical issue outside of timing belts and the like. No matter how nice it looks, give it the once over. You're in the midwest, so check for rust along the frame rails especially. A little surface rust is no big deal, a little naval jelly and some preventer/sealant can fix that, just make sure you cant stick your finger through the frame. Id suggest taking it to a mechanic and having them give it a check up, just for safety. (check all fluids, etc)

Just follow your gut instinct. If something doesnt seem right, it most likely isnt.
          "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
          Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
          Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Really depends on the car and how much you drive.

Geo Prisms, at least older models, can run just fine up to 300,000 miles.

In 2003 I bought a 95 Geo Prism with 125,000 miles on it for $1800 in a private sale. Since I drive only about 5-6,000 miles a year, I could have driven that car for at least 10 years without trouble. As it happened, someone totaled it while it was parked on the street. Insurance estimated the value based on a dealer price. So I got $1800 for the car, then purchased ANOTHER 95 Geo Prism for $1200 and pocketed the difference. That car (current) had 125,000 on it and was in better condition than the one that got totaled.

Gets 25 mph city, 42 highway.

Of course, if you drive a lot, getting a high mileage car -- even a good one -- could be a problem. But if you just need something to get you here and there, you can't beat a Prism.

These cars used to be carbon copies of the Toyota Corolla, but even new off of the showroom cost several thousand dollars less. Now that Chevy has completely taken over them, I'm not so sure they are the same quality.

Originally posted by oshphopeful View Post
            at the moment, i'm just window shopping. i don't really have the money to spare to buy a used car right now. but, i am confused. my dad is a mechanic and he has said that it is better to get late-model reliability. the cars (all right, actually trucks) i am looking at are late model cars, but for what i want, they all have high mileage. the consensus has been that high mileage is bad. is it really?
            Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
            Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
            A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

I have bought both American vehicles and Hondas before. Bought my 94 Honda Accord at 143,000 miles for $1,100.00. Sold it 5 months ago for $800.00 with 220,000 miles. I had it for 4+ years.

Bought a 1997 Chevy Lumina LTZ (Looks like the Monte, but 4-door) for $1,500.00 at 103,000 miles and I am at 106,000.

Both vehicles were from friends or their family. I knew the history, how it was driven, etc. Don't get me wrong, somethings were withheld but I also work on my own cars so not an issue.

I look at it this way, I have one hell of a vehicle, high miles, but everything works like it should. ABS, Airbags, AC, Power Everything for super cheap, plus my insurance is cheap as I only have liability.

Regardless of what you buy, new or used, it could cost you extra unexpected $$$$.

Ask yourself, what do you want to pay?
              Last edited by Jhelrey; 07-27-2008, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                Really depends on the car and how much you drive.

Geo Prisms, at least older models, can run just fine up to 300,000 miles.

In 2003 I bought a 95 Geo Prism with 125,000 miles on it for $1800 in a private sale. Since I drive only about 5-6,000 miles a year, I could have driven that car for at least 10 years without trouble. As it happened, someone totaled it while it was parked on the street. Insurance estimated the value based on a dealer price. So I got $1800 for the car, then purchased ANOTHER 95 Geo Prism for $1200 and pocketed the difference. That car (current) had 125,000 on it and was in better condition than the one that got totaled.

Gets 25 mph city, 42 highway.

Of course, if you drive a lot, getting a high mileage car -- even a good one -- could be a problem. But if you just need something to get you here and there, you can't beat a Prism.

These cars used to be carbon copies of the Toyota Corolla, but even new off of the showroom cost several thousand dollars less. Now that Chevy has completely taken over them, I'm not so sure they are the same quality.
                while i appreciate it, i am not too keen on getting a compact. i am pushing six foot and i am long in the legs. i don't want to feel cramped while driving. also, the whole being wrapped around the front of a semi thing (with the way they drive in Ohio) doesn't appeal to me much . if i was going to get a car car, it would be midsize or better (Chevy Impala, Crown Vic), that way i would have at least a fighting chance. for a car, a Subaru would be worth a look because of the full-time all wheel drive.
                -JPR

Comment

I'm 6' and fit in a Toyota MR2 without a problem- my first car was a Corolla, and that was just fine as well. Don't knock it 'till you try it.

I love my Tundra, but fuel mileage isn't too great (14.5 city, 18 highway). I did get better fuel mileage with my Tacoma, but it's nice having a larger truck.
                  summer - winter - work

Comment

Jeep Cherokee. 4 dr, 4.0 motor.

Cheap, reliable as cast iron, reasonable fuel economy, and cake to work on. Ton of aftermarket play toys if you should start to get bored with it. Good resale value when you put it back on the market.

The 4.0 motor is a simple straight six, easy to work on, easy to rebuild (if it should ever need it) and there's enough room under the hood to get to things since it sits front to back LIKE A MOTOR SHOULD...Enough performance to be fun but not too much for an inexperienced driver. Again, plenty of aftermarket parts if you want to change that later.

They made them forever, and parts interchange easily. For that reason repair parts are easy to find, and again, cheap. I loved my Scout, but the Jeeps are so much easier to get maintenance/crash/repair parts for.

Big enough to fit you and your stuff, tow moderate loads safely, and should fare decently in a crash, not too big so that parking is difficult in an urban environment, which could be a problem with a long bed or crew cab truck. 19 mpg on the highway if you keep it at legal speeds.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      Jeep Cherokee. 4 dr, 4.0 motor.

Cheap, reliable as cast iron, reasonable fuel economy, and cake to work on. Ton of aftermarket play toys if you should start to get bored with it. Good resale value when you put it back on the market.

The 4.0 motor is a simple straight six, easy to work on, easy to rebuild (if it should ever need it) and there's enough room under the hood to get to things since it sits front to back LIKE A MOTOR SHOULD...Enough performance to be fun but not too much for an inexperienced driver. Again, plenty of aftermarket parts if you want to change that later.

They made them forever, and parts interchange easily. For that reason repair parts are easy to find, and again, cheap. I loved my Scout, but the Jeeps are so much easier to get maintenance/crash/repair parts for.

Big enough to fit you and your stuff, tow moderate loads safely, and should fare decently in a crash, not too big so that parking is difficult in an urban environment, which could be a problem with a long bed or crew cab truck. 19 mpg on the highway if you keep it at legal speeds.
                      i've looked at that too. straight sixes rock! (and boxers too ).
                      -JPR

Comment

For whatever it is worth, the last couple of grocery getters we have bought (mini vans) have been through automobile brokers affiliated with my local credit union. The most recent one we bought new on Halloween 2007, but the one prior was used from an auto auction that the auto brokers attends. If you have an auto broker in your area that works with your bank or credit union, it may be worth looking into. For a number of years I would go to a used car lot, but I really like the whole auto broker deal better.

Comment

I drive a Jeep Cherokee. Built as solid as a tank..... It also gets the gas mileage of a tank. I get at best 12/13 city and highway repectively. I have the straight six 4.0, it doesnt get anywhere near good gas mileage. I love my car and how reliable it is for me, but I would upgrade to a new car with better gas mileage in a heartbeat.
                          This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

I was gonna recommend Subarus. I had an Impreza I drove into the ground, and now have a Legacy Wagon. Does amazing in the ice/snow, gets decent gas mileage, and hauls a lot of stuff. Plus mine is turbocharged so it's about the best all around vehicle in my opinion.

They are also one of the safest cars on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Brader View Post
                              I was gonna recommend Subarus. I had an Impreza I drove into the ground, and now have a Legacy Wagon. Does amazing in the ice/snow, gets decent gas mileage, and hauls a lot of stuff. Plus mine is turbocharged so it's about the best all around vehicle in my opinion.

They are also one of the safest cars on the market.
                              how many miles did you have on the impreza when it stopped running?
                              -JPR

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5461 users online. 346 members and 5115 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X