300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our trip to Sam's Club

Today my wife, 20 month old son, and I went to Sam's Club. From the moment we got into the store my son didn't want to sit in the shopping cart. Against my son's will I went ahead and put him into the cart and put on his seat belt. My wife and I are the kind of parents that don't want our child running around the store unattended and getting into things. On top of this he is also getting in his back lower teeth, so he than began to cry and kept trying to get out of the cart.

Anyone who's got children know what this is like and how we felt/feel. Every time you go out in public having a whiny, crying child. We even had a couple of parents say to us they have two year old at home and they know what were going through. Well needless to say we just let him sit in the cart while we were pushing it and let him throw his fit, after a while they know they aren't going to get their way so they stop.

Ten to fifteen minutes later I get this feeling someones watching us. Behold moments later we accidentally walked up on a Loss Prevention guy in the next isle who didn't quit move fast enough and it was blatant that he was watching us. He then tried to cover by acting like he was on the telephone talking about having a baby. We just walked by him and I stared him down and he got this oh crap look on his face. My wife didn't know what was going on and I didn't tell her. A couple more times throughout the store I caught a look at the same guy trying to hide, but not wanting to call him out I didn't say anything.

Keep in mind were pushing two full shopping carts around the store, so I think it's safe to say were not going to steal anything. Several minutes later we go to check out. The same guy is now standing at the front end managers desk using a portable radio to point in our direction while talking to other people who work at the store. So I just politely look in their direction and wave. On our way home I tell my wife what happen and she said she didn't even notice. My wife told me she figured I would of said something to him if that was the case and I told her I was going to,but I didn't want to make a scene with her and the baby there.

Any way's has something like this happen to you? If so what did you do? Or how would you handle this? The first thought that went through my head when I first saw this guy was is this someone I dealt with at work. After I determined he was loss prevention, I didn't want to walk up to the guy and badge him that way there wouldn't be any problems. So I just left it be and went on about my day I figured the wave was enough..
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Anyone who's got children know what this is like and how we felt/feel. Every time you go out in public having a whiny, crying child. We even had a couple of parents say to us they have two year old at home and they know what were going through. Well needless to say we just let him sit in the cart while we were pushing it and let him throw his fit, after a while they know they aren't going to get their way so they stop.

Ten to fifteen minutes later I get this feeling someones watching us. Behold moments later we accidentally walked up on a Loss Prevention guy in the next isle who didn't quit move fast enough and it was blatant that he was watching us. He then tried to cover by acting like he was on the telephone talking about having a baby. We just walked by him and I stared him down and he got this oh crap look on his face. My wife didn't know what was going on and I didn't tell her. A couple more times throughout the store I caught a look at the same guy trying to hide, but not wanting to call him out I didn't say anything.

Keep in mind were pushing two full shopping carts around the store, so I think it's safe to say were not going to steal anything. Several minutes later we go to check out. The same guy is now standing at the front end managers desk using a portable radio to point in our direction while talking to other people who work at the store. So I just politely look in their direction and wave. On our way home I tell my wife what happen and she said she didn't even notice. My wife told me she figured I would of said something to him if that was the case and I told her I was going to,but I didn't want to make a scene with her and the baby there.

Any way's has something like this happen to you? If so what did you do? Or how would you handle this? The first thought that went through my head when I first saw this guy was is this someone I dealt with at work. After I determined he was loss prevention, I didn't want to walk up to the guy and badge him that way there wouldn't be any problems. So I just left it be and went on about my day I figured the wave was enough..[/QUOTE]

My wild guess would be that he was watching for you to beat your small child so they could call the cops on you for abuse.

Since Sam's Club checks all receipts at exit I think they would just confront you about theft there, but maybe follow. I know at gun shows we watch men pushing baby buggies with babies in the because they like to tuck stuff under the blanket while a dealer is not watching.

I have been followed once like you talked about in a WalMart in MO where I heard over the PA system to code something and my description, those following were quite obvious so I constantly doubled back on them turn around short and run into them as they pretend they are not following me. Then I took all the stuff I was buying and went through the checkout and on my way.

I can't imagine why you would draw attn. for possible theft, a yelling child would not be uncommon.

Comment

I would have walked right up to the guy and told him it looked like he was interested in me and my family and for an explanation as to exactly why that was. There may have been a fair explanation and you wouldn't have to go home wondering about what was up.

Comment

That happens to me alot. We like to window shop and put the baby (2 1/2 yrs) into the empty cart. Besides, she's too young to walk around and she'll bolt from us. We get dirty looks from employees, as well as other customers, but we don't let it bug us. I remember one time at Target, lp was following and I did turn around and ask " Can I help you". Dude didn't say anything and kept walking. All we bought was a Spongebob dvd.

Ode to the terrible 2's
        Help, operator. Give me the number to 911--
        Homer Simpson

Comment

nebraska_deputy, it sounds like you did the right thing by just letting it be, but if getting stared down by an LP is bother some which I imagine it is, maybe you should flash the badge and send him on his way.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

You handled it alot better then I would have. I would've ask to see the Manager and told him/her that his LP person isn't good at picking out potential shoplifters. Or I would've messed with him a little bit more and then tossed my star and said this line of work isn't for you.

I have 2 girls, I know what you're going through on the teething, tantrums e.t.c. Hang in there, it get's easier...Then again, I'd rather have them teething.
            -------------------------------------------------

They don't care how much you know, until they
            know how much you care.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post

Any way's has something like this happen to you? If so what did you do? Or how would you handle this? The first thought that went through my head when I first saw this guy was is this someone I dealt with at work. After I determined he was loss prevention, I didn't want to walk up to the guy and badge him that way there wouldn't be any problems. So I just left it be and went on about my day I figured the wave was enough..
              Not to be rude, but does having a badge mean that you would not shoplift ?? That the guy should just move along and not follow up on whatever suspicions lead to him thinking he should shadow you ?? Now and then you DO read in the newspaper about LEO being arrested for shoplifting....so they as a vocation are NOT immune from doing it.

Bill
              Last edited by willbird; 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM.
              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Ever consider leaving a teething child at home either with a sitter or one of the spouses?

Why are you forcing this child into what is clearly an uncomfortable situation for him and at the same time subjecting all the other shoppers as well as workers to your child's cries, which apparently kept on the entire time you were shopping?

An older, non-teething child I would have taken to the car and sat there with him until he was willing to conform to appropriate public behavior. We would neither enter the store nor go home. I've used that technique more than once and it works. I've done it while shopping and also while driving. Kids can't behave? Well then we are parking this car and sitting until you can. It's amazing how quickly all the whining and fighting and what-have-you will stop.

But a 20-month old who is teething cannot conform to appropriate behavior in a public place and should not be subjected to that discomfort, nor should the public in the store be subjected to the crying.

What would I have done? I would have left the child at home with a caregiver.

Sorry but I can't be sympathetic in this case.
                Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Guy doing his job, even if done poorly, is not an issue to me.

Now if he went to grab me/detain me that's one thing. Follow me all you want if you think I'm the skecthist person in your estabalishment.

Walking up to him is silly....who cares?

Most police officers get upset if someone call's them out while they are working...but most are saying it's cool to call out the LP in the store...extend some common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                    Ever consider leaving a teething child at home either with a sitter or one of the spouses?

Why are you forcing this child into what is clearly an uncomfortable situation for him and at the same time subjecting all the other shoppers as well as workers to your child's cries, which apparently kept on the entire time you were shopping?

An older, non-teething child I would have taken to the car and sat there with him until he was willing to conform to appropriate public behavior. We would neither enter the store nor go home. I've used that technique more than once and it works. I've done it while shopping and also while driving. Kids can't behave? Well then we are parking this car and sitting until you can. It's amazing how quickly all the whining and fighting and what-have-you will stop.

But a 20-month old who is teething cannot conform to appropriate behavior in a public place and should not be subjected to that discomfort, nor should the public in the store be subjected to the crying.

What would I have done? I would have left the child at home with a caregiver.

Sorry but I can't be sympathetic in this case.
                    How many boys do you have? Raising boys is totally different than raising girls. Anyone who has boys and girls both will tell you for some reason boys is more are more difficult, most of the time. If you have not noticed from my past post we are two person working family, so when we get time together as a family we use it!

If you can and have the luxury of letting your child stay at home with your spouse more power too you. We are not the kind of family that makes just one or the other do the shopping this is not the 60's. We make a list of what we need and while were at the store if we something else we want and it's not overly priced we buy it. The only people who gave us any kind of looks were older retired people. There looks were more of looks like your in our way. Such as I said before we had people tell us they knew what we were going through and told us to hang in there.

And no he didn't cry the entire time, but he did cry some. Most of the time it was just when we didn't let him have his way. I'm not going to let my child run around a several thousand foot store by himself just to make him stop crying. I'm also not going to let my child be in charge of me, I'm the parent.
                    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I'll just wait for the LP guy to approach me as I leave the store, then throw a hissy fit when he accuses me of stealing. In Calif, you must obs the concealment of the item in question (or they go into a dressing room with 5 items and exit with 3 and the room is empty after they leave). Since I don't steal, I'd be interested in their explanation of why they think I stole something, and proving that I did. Yeah, I'm an ***.

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                        Not to be rude, but does having a badge mean that you would not shoplift ?? That the guy should just move along and not follow up on whatever suspicions lead to him thinking he should shadow you ?? Now and then you DO read in the newspaper about LEO being arrested for shoplifting....so they as a vocation are NOT immune from doing it.

Bill
                        My question would be back to you how many people have you arrested who have threatened to do something to you or your family? Anyone one of us who have arrested a large amount of people or written a large amount of citations has this in the back of our mind every day. Once this guy determined we were not shoplifters (two large shopping carts full of merchandise) from working loss prevention in the past he should of moved on. If he wanted to say something to us about our child crying he should of said it.

Comment

I don't know why they were picking on you Nebraska Deputy....If they felt you were going to steal they would have the camara fixed on you, unless that Sam's Club doesn't have camaras...I've worked in stores where a couple women came in w/ about 5 or 6 kids...The kids were running around, making a mess, crying, ect...While the other customers were asking question,complaining/walking out the store...In the mean time the women were in the store stealing...
                          sigpic

Comment

Did they have any Wii's at Sam's, I can't seem to find one anywhere???

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMetro View Post
                              Did they have any Wii's at Sam's, I can't seem to find one anywhere???
                              Hahaha. Thanks for lighting the mood. Next time I'm in the store I'll check just for you. hahaha I have seen things at our local Walmarts and Sam's that have been sold out in other places.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6701 users online. 359 members and 6342 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X