300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 Commemorative gimmick

Have any of you caught the "available only through this TV offer" commercial offering for sale 9/11 commemorative silver "certificate"? It has a $20.00 value in Liberian currency (wtf?).

Is it just me, or is this in really poor taste? Not just in poor taste but just low brow and tacky.
    ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Why I hope they never make 9/11 a national holiday. I would hate to see 9/11 sales.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

They already did. It's called "Patriot Day" which is different from "Patriot's Day." Check your calendar. I know it's on mine.
      http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've seen it and all I could do was laugh. Not only because its extremely tacky but also because I know there are people sitting at home who will watch and actually purchase them...

BUT, in their defense, I'll just say...I have a much bigger issue with politicians, left and right, who have used 9/11 as a political tool for their own gain...

Comment

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
          I've seen it and all I could do was laugh. Not only because its extremely tacky but also because I know there are people sitting at home who will watch and actually purchase them...

BUT, in their defense, I'll just say...I have a much bigger issue with politicians, left and right, who have used 9/11 as a political tool for their own gain...
          Dang-it dalaw ,I agree! At the same I ask ,why try to swing this into a political thread? Dang-it!

Comment

Originally posted by BLETfun View Post
            Dang-it dalaw ,I agree! At the same I ask ,why try to swing this into a political thread? Dang-it!
            I actually started to post this in the Various Topics forum (political discussion) but moved it here at the last second.

The thing that just cracks me up about the commerical is the whole Liberian currency aspect. Seriously, Liberian? Wtf, where the hell does that come from? Explain that connection to me. Is that were Borat comes from?

And I get a chuckle from the warning that they are strictly limiting sales to a maxiumum of five per customer.

Comment

I remember seeing that commercial and ranting about it to my boyfriend (he's used to it, don't worry. lol). I think it's in poor taste, absolutely. Are we talking about the same one, where they claim that its made from the silver found at ground zero?
              Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

I don't recall them mentioning the orgins of the silver. They mentioned that it's worth $20.00 "in the coin of the realm.

I just find it bizarre...like some twisted SNL skit.

Comment

I don't get the Liberian thing. WTF?

Comment

its a piece of crap
                    its people once again making money off the destruction of 9/11 and making one more cent that they dont deserve

and these people that are ding this should be fined and taken to jail.
                    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Hm. It must have been a different commerical then. I'm sure they said that at least a percentage of the silver was silver found at Ground Zero. As if the whole thing wasn't bad enough. That part is what really made me sick. I haven't seen that commerical in a very long time though... probably over a year?

I don't remember the Liberian thing, either. It must be a different one.

P.S. Borat is from Kazakhstan. Liberia is in west Africa. I'm not sure what kind of connection they have to 9/11, and I have absolutely no clue why they feel they need to make a coin like this?
                      Last edited by Smolla126; 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM.
                      Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

The real issue is that the creators of this commemorative garbage don't see it as disrespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead1302 View Post
                          The real issue is that the creators of this commemorative garbage don't see it as disrespectful.
                          +1. Or if they do, they just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
                            I actually started to post this in the Various Topics forum (political discussion) but moved it here at the last second.

The thing that just cracks me up about the commerical is the whole Liberian currency aspect. Seriously, Liberian? Wtf, where the hell does that come from? Explain that connection to me. Is that were Borat comes from?

And I get a chuckle from the warning that they are strictly limiting sales to a maxiumum of five per customer.
                            Nah ,Borat was from Katchistan or somewhere that sounds familiar.

Personally I would'nt want a single one their not even made in America!

Comment

* Special September 11th commemorative
                              * Government authorized non-circulating Liberian legal tender
                              * Individually numbered
                              * Payable like a silver certificate in coin-of-the-realm
                              * Struck in .999 Pure Silver Leaf

FRONT

The frosted Twin Towers stand out against a mirror-like background, double dated 2001-2008 with our promise – “We will never forget!”

BACK

The Statue of Liberty heralds a stunning design of the new Freedom Tower skyline in a silvery tribute to all who were lost on that tragic day.

Collectors! Act NOW!

The National Collector’s Mint makes history with the release of this Government Authorized Non-circulating Liberian legal tender September 11th commemorative. This $20 Silver Leaf Coin-Certificate is payable like a silver certificate in coin-of-the-realm.
                              An historic first!

This Coin-Certificate displays a standard $20 denomination on one side. But on the other side, it’s the first time ever that two separate denominations have been used to add up to the full $20 face value – it uses 9 and 11 to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the World Trade Center tragedy.
                              Don’t miss out on this exclusive, private striking

This meaningful commemorative will never be released for circulation but it is now available through this special private striking at face value.

Each 2008 September 11th Silver Leaf Coin-Certificate comes with a Certificate of Authenticity confirming it’s non-circulating Liberian legal tender currency, struck in .999 pure silver leaf. Each is individually numbered. Earliest orders get the lowest registration numbers.
                              Don't miss out! Order your September 11<sup>th</sup> Commemorative below!

http://www.911twenty.com/
                              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4417 users online. 243 members and 4174 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X