300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge orders 9 year old to be renamed

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it.

Just ask Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Represent.

I think one of our newest names is, "4realz".

The story behind it is the couple went in to their first sonogram, and when shows the baby the dad said, wow fo-realz? Not sure about the validity of the story, but the name is true.

Comment

reminds me of the Carlos Mencia skit..can't find the video but..

A Cuban woman said that the first word or phrase she sees in English was going to be the name of her kid. As fate would have it, she named her kid 'Usnavy.' ROTFLMAO!!! It got funnier when he talked about a girl named 'Toprameneesha.' He responded, "You're not supposed to add 'eesha' to the end of 'Top Ramen.' You're supposed to add hot water! DEE DEE DEE!!!"

Comment

"That is a sensible ruling, there has to be a limit on at least the really obvious ones like "Fish and Chips". I mean, they could at least use some creativity."
        -Heywood Jablome

Comment

Originally posted by NextCapCop View Post
          reminds me of the Carlos Mencia skit..can't find the video but..
          That stuff is absolutly hilarious. Do you remember the middle eastern named kid "shi-thead" that he talked about. ha ha ha ROFLMAO.

Also you can find his episodes on www.comedycentral.com or www.carlosmencia.com i think.

One of my favorites is the immigrant sign on I-5 near San Deigo and talking to the Public representative about the sign.
          Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Comment

I've heard Abcde is a popular name going around.
            Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

Too bad we can't do that in the US.

Comment

Someone I know used to work at a bank and he told me they had regulars with the names "Cocaine'' and "Listerine" . . . . but compared to some of the names in the article, those two are pretty tame.
                'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Wow...

-Hi, what's your name?
                  Number 16 Bus Shelter
                  - Huh?
                  You heard me.
                  - I said your NAME, not where you were conceived!

WTF is wrong with these people, seriously?!

Comment

Originally posted by Presence View Post
                    Wow...

-Hi, what's your name?
                    Number 16 Bus Shelter
                    - Huh?
                    You heard me.
                    - I said your NAME, not where you were conceived!

WTF is wrong with these people, seriously?!
                    You know those drunken conversations you have with your friends about what it would HILARIOUS to name your kids some day? (well, I've had that conversation...)

These people obviously just kept on drinkin...

Comment

LOL apparently so!

Poor kids...

Comment

Originally posted by tehJet View Post
                        You know those drunken conversations you have with your friends about what it would HILARIOUS to name your kids some day? (well, I've had that conversation...)

These people obviously just kept on drinkin...
                        +1.

I know of a guy whose last name is Lehr... him and his wife had a dughter a few years ago and named her Crystal Chandel.

Comment

The day care my daughter go’s to has a little girl that everyone calls Kay Kay, I know so what right? Well Mom cannot pronounce her name, not one of the teachers can I sure as hell can’t, but mom will tell you it has great meaning, it is a tribal name! as she talked to the teacher explaining this to her, I just stood there in total amazement she saw the name somewhere thought it looked cool and decided that would be the girls name. I asked her if she knew what it meant nope, her and the babes dada have no clue so they decided to nick name her Kay kay. Why do people put their kids through this?

I think Hollywood celebs are the worst at it, like some kind of competition as to who can have the most off the wall name, no wonder the kids are train wrecks growing up, Christ I would have to drink to if my Mom err I mean the babes momma and dada did that to me.
                          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

From Hawaii is part of the name too. The full name is "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii." Some people should not be allowed to have kids.

Comment

Originally posted by alexg View Post
                              From Hawaii is part of the name too. The full name is "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii." Some people should not be allowed to have kids.
                              +1. Sorry but I can understand some unique, or rather not frequently used names but the way this one went, it harmed the child DACP's i'm betting does the same. At least they are nice enough to call her kay Kay....
                              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6314 users online. 350 members and 5964 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X