300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Day

Today marks my last day at my department. I will be starting my new job Monday, and hitting FTO the following week, according to current plans.

I was thinking I might post a few differences I see between jurisdictions for everyone's general amusement, and possible for the enlightenment of anyone trying to decide between applying to a small town or bigger city. (Current department: 9 officers. New department: 275 officers.)Kind of like a running diary of my adjustment period. If there's any interest in reading such a self-deprecating diatribe, let me know.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

School cop, are you graduating from high school finally? Just make sure it's signed this time.

Good luck on your new department, I would like to read your diary. So you can send it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. CO View Post
      School cop, are you graduating from high school finally? Just make sure it's signed this time.

Ha Ha, no that's NOT my high school graduation picture as my new avatar! I feel old, but not THAT old.
      Just make sure it's signed this time.
      LMAO
      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

congrats on the upgrade. errrrrrrrrrr promotion to the big boys department.
        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
        Oscar Wilde

Comment

Best of luck to you!
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Good luck! I think you should make a thread about this journal, it would be an interesting read.

Comment

Good luck!

I would definitely like to read about the differences.

Comment

Congrats on the move. Hope it treats ya right! ^_^
                Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

Update: House-hunting sucks.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Be a good boy. Play nice with your classmates but with the bad kids kick their arses!

Don't forget to bring an apple to your teacher.

Congratulations!
                    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                    Not Yet Visited: 16
                    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                      I would also be interested in differences pluses and minuses you see in both departments. I have talked to many officers about this. I have been with a small agency for 23 years. If you care to post some good and bad points.
                      Good luck to you, be safe.
                      10-4; you'll have to wait until I actually see some action, as week 1 and maybe 2 will be mainly orientation.

I was asked a lot of questions about race during the board. I've been talking since with a realtor buddy that's helping me find a house. He says the city has changed a lot in the 20 years since I graduated HS. I remember being about 50% white, 40% black, and 10 % Hispanic. He tells me blacks now have a clear majority in the public schools and the whole city has had some race relation problems. That must be why they hit it so hard in the interview.

Coming from the small town, which was about 3% black, most of whom were related, I guess it will be a bit of a change. Of course, our clients seem to do the same dumb stuff no matter what color they are, and I try to treat everyone the same, but there is probably a longer "earning respect curve" for a new white guy policing a black neighborhood. We'll see how that works.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6365 users online. 374 members and 5991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X