300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the automotive savvy

My car repair knowledge is limited...so bear with me...

I have a 2000 Grand Am that just quit on me the other day. When I turn the key to start it, absolutely nothing happens. No sounds...nothing.

When I open the car door, none of the interior lights come on and I can hear a rapid clicking sound coming from the glovebox area. Basically, whenever the interior lights should be on, they aren't and I hear the clicking sound.

Dead battery, bad connection...?

Any ideas

TIA
    Last edited by stryker11; 06-30-2008, 10:28 PM.

I'm no automotive expert, but dead battery would be my first instinct.

Take the battery out and get it tested. If the battery is no good, the very worst that can happen is you have a new battery for when you do figure out the problem.

Comment

Autozone will test it and charge it for free if needed. They also do starters and altenators for free if you need it....sounds like the battery.
      "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

Sounds like the battery or a broken battery cable.
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Check the battery cables and make sure they're tight. If they are, and the battery terminals are clean, try testing the battery.
          summer - winter - work

Comment

Relays clicking telltale sign of dead battery/loose or corroded cables.

Comment

If none of the interior lights are coming on, it could just be a loose connection on the battery terminals, could be from corrosion or as said, a dead battery.

Comment

Hey you may to check the blinker fluid, you may be out.
                No better friend, no worse enemy.

Comment

If your cables are corroded autozone or pepboys any place like that has stuff to clean the cables but like everyone else said it's probably the battery. If you get a new battery and it happens again it's probably your alternator, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by stryker11 View Post
                    My car repair knowledge is limited...so bear with me...

I have a 2000 Grand Am that just quit on me the other day. When I turn the key to start it, absolutely nothing happens. No sounds...nothing.

When I open the car door, none of the interior lights come on and I can hear a rapid clicking sound coming from the glovebox area. Basically, whenever the interior lights should be on, they aren't and I hear the clicking sound.

Dead battery, bad connection...?

Any ideas

TIA
                    Look for a leaky battery terminal, replace battery, clean cable with bakeing soda and water paste solution. Problem solved.
                    On a side note please, please don't trust auto zone! The parts they sell are substandard, the help they hire has little to no automotive training. ASE part certification is a joke, trust me I have that cert. There are very few things that autozone sells that I would trust on my car or truck.
                    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
                    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
                    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Thanks for all the help

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5754 users online. 400 members and 5354 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X