300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A truely off duty topic

Some of you know me personally, some of you know me by my posts here on O.com Others don't care.

As of December 31, 2022 I will be fully retired from Law Enforcement. 2023 will be the first year since 1976 that I have not been in one type of Law Enforcement uniform or another type of Corrections uniform.

I have had a good run, done many neat things, had some sad moments and a few great ones, but all in all I have had a successful 46 year carrer

It breaks down as
    29yrs 4 months working for the Iowa State Department of Corrections (Under 3 different departmental names) with most of that time working in a Maximum Security Male Penitentiary
    5 yrs working as a Deputy Sheriff working in the Jail, Patrol, Paramedic Rescue, and Communications divisions for a good sized Sheriff's Office
    11.5 yrs working as a Court Security , Transportation & general jack of all trades for a small Sheriff's Office

About half of the time I have either been a Supervisor or Administrative employee & the rest as a line staff grunt. I preferred the line staff work, but even when I resisted it seemed that I ended up directing the work of others.

I plan on sticking around the forums but my time working for a living is done
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Congrats old timer. Glad to see you join the ranks of us fully retired.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Congratulations, and thank you for all your service at different jurisdictional levels to the State of Iowa.

I hope you now kick back and enjoy life, as you earned it.

I'm not far behind you, January 1st and I'm done - 42 years all total.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        You probably saw on the other media that I have been struggling with qualifications. The boss offered a couple different scenario's for me to keep working but I decided to pull the pin

YOU enjoy also

Enjoy!

So what’s next?

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        Feet up on the coffee table.

Plenty of stuff to do around the acreage NO more working for a paycheck

• NolaT
        NolaT commented
        Editing a comment
        Again,…….ENJOY!!

Congratulations! I highly recommend retirement!

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been retired for 12 yrs Dec 30. I have been double dipping since then with my side job.

Just decided to stop the part time gig and go full time retired

Congratulations!!!! Find something else to do besides keeping your feet up on the coffee table. You’ll be glad you did.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        OH yes. Have a small acreage that can keep me as busy as I want

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
      Enjoy!

So what’s next?
      Back at work as a Supplemental Deputy after a week of boredom.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        I always told myself I would keep working as long as I enjoyed getting up and going to work. I still enjoyed the job but I started hating getting up and ready to go.
        This fall I have had some medical problems and minor procedures that tripped a switch in my head.

Retirement rocks.

Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Back at work as a Supplemental Deputy after a week of boredom.
        After my REAL retirement, I got completely bored after 6 months and started working again just to keep busy while my wife was still working. But like Iowa, at the end of the year, I'm pretty much done. I've got a PI license, so I'll pick up a case or two if I get bored (I don't have any acreage like Iowa's got ). We're preparing a move to a le$$ expensive location.

Comment

I loved being a cop, but I love being a retired cop even more.

I wish you the very best, Iowa.

Comment

• Joe2845
            Joe2845 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. Couldn't sum it up any better!

Congrats on your retirement, Iowa!

Good to know you'll be sticking around here. I for one have appreciated your "no-nonsense" attitude.
          It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Congrats Iowa. I will say that you are definitely one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. You can't put a price on the knowledge inside your head for all That time. But I'll tell you, it's priceless. And you share it freely, whether someone wanted it or not, you kept straight with us. I hope you and the wife fade off into many sunsets together sir. Bravo.

P.S. You're probably thinking some of these comments here for you are too kind. And your humility is what makes you a special person.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              I am just glad I made it to the end in once piece. The fact that I might have helped someone in their journey is icing on the cake.

I do appreciate all the kind words.

I have enjoyed my time in uniform & think I made a difference at each of the assignments over the years

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
            Congrats Iowa. I will say that you are definitely one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. You can't put a price on the knowledge inside your head for all That time. But I'll tell you, it's priceless. And you share it freely, whether someone wanted it or not, you kept straight with us. I hope you and the wife fade off into many sunsets together sir. Bravo.

P.S. You're probably thinking some of these comments here for you are too kind. And your humility is what makes you a special person.
            Glad to see he’s sticking around. Wouldn’t be the same without him.

BTW Iowa, my nephew is in prison for embezzlement but plans to run for Congress in Iowa when he gets out in 2-4. Will you campaign for him?

Comment

Sounds like New Orleans politics,………

Comment

Iowa,

just make sure since you’re not a cop anymore you keep your opinions to yourself and stay out of the AAC!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3735 users online. 207 members and 3528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X