300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving companies

I am taking another position with a different agency in another state. This is an unpaid move. I am wondering if anyone has an experience with any moving companies or can make recommendations? I appreciate the help.

Not a flame, but with Depts being shorthanded nationwide, they won’t add a relocation allowance?

Comment

• disgruntledpa
      disgruntledpa commented
      Editing a comment
      No they will not

Yeah, my agency offered a HEALTHY relocation allowance.

Comment

May be a bit more costly, but I've found that loading up your own PODS and arranging delivery to your new location is a lot safer and provides a bit more piece of mind.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

For our last move (2,000+ miles from Portland Oregon to central Texas), we just did it ourselves.

My wife drove a U-Haul truck towing her BMW on a trailer, and I drove our motorhome. I strapped our motorcycles down inside the U-Haul.

We stayed in truck stops along the way, parking our vehicles inline in one space. We were amazed at how nice they were.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 04-03-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I was just quoted $7,500 for a 2 bedroom townhouse, that's with everything already packed in boxes. I would do the uhaul if it was an option. PODS are $3,000 last I checked for that move but the size won't always fit large furniture

Comment

• HI629
          HI629 commented
          Editing a comment
          Liquidate your large furniture and purchase new at the next destination. Every PCS move I did exactly that. Always ended up with better furniture wasn't biting nails hoping the movers didn't jack or damage my stuff.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Great advice. The moving companies basically charge more than the furniture is worth.

That’s a lot of money after you’ve already done the packing,……

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, definitely looking for some other quotes.

Don't liquidated anything, with supply chains backed up how.long ya going to wait to get replacement furniture??? Bad call. Like others have said just don't be move your self. Just rent a big truck. I know with U-Haul they are cheaper in paper but in the end they are not. You pay for the miles at the end when you drop the truck off. Other places do all the mile figuring out for you and you pay for it then and there, maybe a little more if over. That's why so many folks have United truck towing a U-Haul trailer.

Remember with fuel prices going up so are those quotes. Since all the trucks are diesel. They normally will put two households going in the same area, unless all your stuff can fit in the semi truck along.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• HI629
          HI629 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm currently in Honolulu, HI. There are numerous options to purchase new furniture. If you want something really special or specific, there may be a slight delay, however despite everything needing to be shipped here, furniture is available.

I found my last sofa brand new from a rent-to-own place. Paid cash up front, they delivered a few days later.

I'm so thankful we moved when we did- it was over 2,000 miles, and we were fueling a big U-Haul truck and our 4.5 mpg diesel motorhome. We were buying diesel for as little as two bucks a gallon.

Comment

Most people move things that they could rebuy cheaper than moving them.

My wife and I have moved 9 times in our 20 year marriage, and we’re certainly guilty of that.

Set aside a minimum of things you need to set up basic housekeeping, set aside sentimental items, move that stuff sell the rest and rebuy.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
            Most people move things that they could rebuy cheaper than moving them.

My wife and I have moved 9 times in our 20 year marriage, and we’re certainly guilty of that.

Set aside a minimum of things you need to set up basic housekeeping, set aside sentimental items, move that stuff sell the rest and rebuy.
            That is SO true.

Other than a toothbrush and clean underwear, we typically only move vehicles and things that have sentimental value to us. One move involved dropping off one empty vehicle at the shipper, and then catching a ride to the airport with our suitcases, and it worked out great.

Comment

...although moparfan has a good point.

When we arrived at our current place late in 2020, we pulled the mattress out of our motorhome, put it and our suitcases on the floor in our master bedroom, deployed a couple of folding camp chairs in the living room with an upside-down cardboard box as a coffee table, and lived without furniture for months.

My wife ordered about $10K or so of Italian leather living room furniture, top of the line mattresses, and so on, and then we sat on the floor for months, waiting for it all to slowly trickle in.

I suspect the global supply chain problem has only gotten worse since then.

Ironically, our custom home theater was set up before we had a proper bed to sleep in or a table to eat dinner off of, so we just sat in our row of Italian leather theater recliners to eat.

But hey, it makes for some fun memories.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3675 users online. 205 members and 3470 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X