300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus Camp

I probably should have put this in the Movies section technically but a lot of people don't look in there so...

What are your thoughts on this documentary?? I haven't seen it but here's the preview...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6RNfL6IVWCE

Damn, I meant for this to go in "off duty discussion"

=/

Comment

Disturbing

I found it disturbing that they ask these kids "How many of you are willing to give up your life for Jesus?" Of course they all cheer wildly.

Had he used Allah instead of Jesus, we would have called them terrorists.

It's nice to see Rev. Ted Haggard looking so well.
      Last edited by SlowDownThere; 06-16-2007, 10:23 AM.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I dunno about attending this one

I spent first grade till senior high in a convent school run by Belgian nuns. It was never like that. It was mostly quiet with the school halls having the Harry Potter School of Wizardry look 'n feel. We were never asked if we were willing to give our life up for Jesus. We were taught He gave His life up for us. So its only fair to give Him a high five and say hi once a week by attending an hour of mass. (see, I still capitalize His name LOL the nuns brainwashed me well)

Children of God vs. Warriors of God

I wonder what's happened to the kids who attended the camp from 10-15 years back.

Comment

Originally posted by JBean View Post
          I wonder what's happened to the kids who attended the camp from 10-15 years back.
          That's exactly what I thought.... HOW are these kids gonna relate to the world when they grow up??!?!? Homeschooled in the middle of Missouri, swallowing everything their parents/pastor tells them, ZERO outside exposure/connections...

I foresee it two ways, they will either: 1)hold on to everything they have been told all their lives and never become relational with the rest of the world; or 2)reject/rebel against everything they have believed in, which would bring a huge crisis for the mom who [I]knows[I] that her son will "change the world for Jesus"...

Im a committed Christian, but I know that it is NOT good to be that extreme...

Comment

....and when I said "swallowing everything their parents tell them" I am not saying that they should be disobedient to their parents, I am referring to specifically the global warming part where mom says there's no such thing, and the son doesnt even ask any questions, just believes everything...

I have a friend who was homeschooled for quite some time. His parents thought he had special learning needs that could be met at home better than at a school. His dad has a phD and is a former college professor. His mom has a Masters in education. He turned out quite well and is in grad school (at a "secular" university).

I cannot help wondering about the qualifications of some of these other parents that choose to homeschool their children...

Comment

Originally posted by flydream777 View Post
              I cannot help wondering about the qualifications of some of these other parents that choose to homeschool their children...
              First, I'm not "Born-Again" anything.

Second, I haven't/don't Home-School any of my four kids.

Third, feel free to fear/bash Chrsitians all you like, but for now I'll let them look goofy, while I turn my eye toward Mohammed's unruly children. I would dearly love to see the producers of Jesus Camp go to any madrasa in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bananastan, or Asshatastan, to spend quality time with said future freedom fighters.

Lastly, Home-Schooling, at least here in CA, requires children to meet standards and be tested - independently. The home-schooling parents have to meet with district officials to learn how to teach their kids their lessons. I spoke to a woman who teaches her kids and she, too, learns quite a bit along the way. School district have classrooms/science labs where kids can meet and use proper equipment to do their lessons - the ones they could/should not do at home.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

That was scary...
                The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the streets

Comment

That was disturbing.
                  U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                  Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

That was awesome.

Sorry, just felt like breaking up the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                      I found it disturbing that they ask these kids "How many of you are willing to give up your life for Jesus?" Of course they all cheer wildly.

Had he used Allah instead of Jesus, we would have called them terrorists.
                      Yep!! exactly...lol

I couldnt watch it right now...must be too busy. But i'd like to see the whole movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                        Yep!! exactly...lol

I couldnt watch it right now...must be too busy. But i'd like to see the whole movie.
                        I'm sure they're referring to denying the name of Jesus if faced with death which actually happens in today in places like North Korea and areas of Africa where the muslims have taken over. Slow Down There knows they're not referring to being suicide bombers or killing innocents, but he won't pass up an opportunity to bash Christians.
                        If everyone is so concerned about children, why doesn't anyone talk about the Boulder Colorado school that invited speakers who told kids to experiment with illegal drugs and have unprotected sex with opposite and same sex partners.
                        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by flydream777 View Post
                          That's exactly what I thought.... HOW are these kids gonna relate to the world when they grow up??!?!? Homeschooled in the middle of Missouri, swallowing everything their parents/pastor tells them, ZERO outside exposure/connections...

I foresee it two ways, they will either: 1)hold on to everything they have been told all their lives and never become relational with the rest of the world; or 2)reject/rebel against everything they have believed in, which would bring a huge crisis for the mom who [I]knows[I] that her son will "change the world for Jesus"...

Im a committed Christian, but I know that it is NOT good to be that extreme...
                          First, this is a camp for the kids, they don't live there day in and day out. Second, homeschooled kids in MO have to meet the same academic standards as those in public/private schools. I have four in a MA class I teach. They are well adjusted, and the most polite well behaved kids in my class. ( I average 50 kids in class)

As far as your second paragraph, those two statements can be applied to anyone.

Lastly, remember this is a trailer it doesn't tell the whole story.
                          A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

I saw parts of it. One part the pastor lady brings in a cardboard cutout of GWB and they all get on their knees and pray to him and put their hand on the cutout and start crying etc. Quite weird.

And yea if they ever completely took over the nation i'd just emigrate somewhere else and renounce my citizenship at an embassy.
                            Last edited by Brav989; 06-17-2007, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989 View Post
                              I saw parts of it. One part the pastor lady brings in a cardboard cutout of GWB and they all get on their knees and pray to him and put their hand on the cutout and start crying etc. Quite weird.

And yea if they ever completely took over the nation i'd just emigrate somewhere else and renounce my citizenship at an embassy.
                              Did they pray to him or for him because he is the president. There's a difference.
                              The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6116 users online. 370 members and 5746 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X