300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement Career - Barber.

After 23 years, and the direction this job is going, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and have decided to head to barber school part time while still working the job. Looks like I can get my license in under 18 months. Anyone here done or know someone that does the barber thing? Very few in my area and all the beauty shops I've spoken with are begging me to get my license and have guaranteed me more customers than I can handle.

Side note, most of the guys I work with tell me the only reason they go to a beauty shop is because we have no local barbers that are worth a dime. What about you guys, barber or beautician?
    Last edited by towncop; 09-09-2021, 01:23 PM.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

I had a small business client at an old job who outfitted his 2 or 3 car garage into what can only be described as and old school barbershop. Chairs, mirrors, pool table, TVs. He works that as a subsidy income because he is retired. He has other guys from the town show up and pay him to get a haircut drink a beer and hang out. The guy's hobby makes him money. Small money, but hey small town. I say all that to wish you luck and let you know it can done part time to feel out if it's a good fit for you.

Comment

Learn how to work a straight razor and customers will beat a path to your door. Except young guys...they prefer beauticians.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
        Except young guys...they prefer beauticians.
        Most of the ones telling me they want an old school barber experience are the young guys. The old guys already know what it's all about.

Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

So I picked up a part-time gig at a marina. The owners, neighbors of my in-laws, were saying they can't find help now that everyone is getting $600 a week in free money and landlords can't boot anyone. Probably doesn't help that pot is legal and home delivery of your favorite strain is only a phone call away. Anyways, fall is busy season for them, moving and winterizing 700 boats in six weeks so what the hell, why not help out.

Yesterday was the first day, I got introduced to the full-timers who work in the shop and marina, no doubt a couple of them did hard time at some point. They asked what I used to do for a living and I told them the truth, which is ususual because in the past I would tell ex felons I sold insurance or whatev to avoid complicated situations. I guess I don't give two F's anymore....

Instinct is something which transcends knowledge.

-Nikola Tesla

Comment

More power to you. I've heard several officers tell me their plans after retirement, but I haven't seen them played out how they planned. If you want to be a barber, then go for it. It isn't a job for me, but I respect the job. Good luck with your future endeavor!

Comment

I had an uncle who was a barber back in the white coat days. My barbershop is an "old fashioned" place and they seem to stay pretty busy. Good luck to you.

Comment

My mom was a cosmetologist for 49 years. She cut my hair apart from when my brother and I would cut each other's hair until I was in my mid 20s in the military. Then used several different barbers. Not a lot of good ones to be found. There was one in San Francisco I was told was great but the cuts started at $80. Too much for my tastes. My hair cut was purposely kept simple so that people with limited talent could get it right but I often found even that was too much to ask. A good barber will stay busy and others will move on to other employment eventually.

Anyway since covid I have just grown it out looking like a hippy. If I had to find a barber now I am not sure what I would do. My favorite guy moved back to Vietnam.

I say go for it. Good luck.

Comment

Good Honest work. I wish you well sir!

Comment

Ronnie

One of my former Captains really went off the farm when he retired. He went back to Community College and became a Dental Assistant. Go with your gut and enjoy your time both in training and in cutting hair

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                    Yesterday was the first day, I got introduced to the full-timers who work in the shop and marina, no doubt a couple of them did hard time at some point. They asked what I used to do for a living and I told them the truth, which is ususual because in the past I would tell ex felons I sold insurance or whatev to avoid complicated situations. I guess I don't give two F's anymore....
                    The nicest thing about part time work for us retired guys is ...........................you are working because you WANT to not because you NEED to. Plus if it doesn't work out , you can quit and not really worry about leaving a trail of resignations. I lasted 10 days on my first post retirement job. Got ****ed at the attitude of one of the supervisors and told the boss he couldn't pay me enough to take that crap.
                    I have been at the second job for 10 yrs and love every minute of it.

Over the last 2 months I have been dealing with a double murder from my old place of employment (my avitar remembers them) & MANY of the people involved in the court process are former co-workers still working at the facility. This week we did a guilty plea & sentencing on the second murderer & the family & employees flooded the court room . Many I had not seen since I left and some questioned why I was still working . I simply told them I love my job
                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A lot of guys around here become school bus drivers. The money isn't the greatest but the bus companies offer a pension. Cops love pensions.

Comment

"Towncop Barbershop" has a nice ring to it.

Probably wouldn't be too popular with a certain segment of the population though...

Comment

There's a haircutting chain in Israel called Zohan's. Men (retired cops) cut hair of senior women and then give them a happy ending.
                          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                            There's a haircutting chain in Israel called Zohan's. Men (retired cops) cut hair of senior women and then give them a happy ending.

Giving some old roach a happy ending sounds like Hell on earth. If there's a worse retirement job than this, I'm all ears...
                            Instinct is something which transcends knowledge.

-Nikola Tesla

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3260 users online. 149 members and 3111 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X