300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise Rings

Ok guys, I need your help. I need some money and I also need to plan my budget here in the next 6 months. I am planning on giving my girlfriend a promise ring for her birthday. Which is in Nov. How much should I be looking at spending on this. How much did you spend. Did you even get/give a promise ring.

If by 'promise' ring you mean the pre-engagement kind, they're usually pearl rings in this area. My -now- husband bought me one for under $200 on jeweler's row- white gold, 2 pearls and 2 five-point diamonds (.05 carats each). Of course, that was almost ten years ago now ) There are simpler and less expensive ones readily available. Shop around- you have plenty of time before November. Keep an eye on the paper, and check the labor day jewelry sales.
    They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

Is a promise ring kind of like what a salad is to dinner?
      Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

Originally posted by Voirdire View Post
        Is a promise ring kind of like what a salad is to dinner?
        Ok smart*****,

Yes it is.

I was going to say something bad, but I don't feel like going on vacation today.

Comment

Originally posted by malka881 View Post
          If by 'promise' ring you mean the pre-engagement kind, they're usually pearl rings in this area. My -now- husband bought me one for under $200 on jeweler's row- white gold, 2 pearls and 2 five-point diamonds (.05 carats each). Of course, that was almost ten years ago now ) There are simpler and less expensive ones readily available. Shop around- you have plenty of time before November. Keep an eye on the paper, and check the labor day jewelry sales.
          Thank you for your time. It's a huge step when you put any ring on a finger. I just need to come up with ideas on what to say / how to give it to her.

Comment

Nope, they didnt have them when i was young.

We wore our b/f's high school ring...which was free, except for the masking tape we needed to wrap around it to make it fit our finger

*good luck*

Comment

Tell her why you want her- in particular- to wear it
              shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

I think the whole "promise ring" thing is overrated and kinda pointless. Why not the engagement ring? Promise rings remind me of freshman year of h.s and you are older than that. I say skip the ring and get her a nice necklace.
                Your mom...

Comment

What are you going to promise her?

Here's what happens with a promise ring....

People see it, and either assume you are engaged, and you got her a cheap ring.

People see it, and ask if she's engaged, and a whole..."No, it's a promise ring!" "So, then, when are you getting engaged?" thingy.

If she likes to wear bracelets, maybe a charm bracelet, with a special charm? They have traditional, and Italian - both very nice. Then, as your relationship grows, you can mark each year or event with a new charm.
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                    Nope, they didnt have them when i was young.

We wore our b/f's high school ring...which was free, except for the masking tape we needed to wrap around it to make it fit our finger

*good luck*
                    Masking tape? The girls on this end of the globe used yarn, then teased it out so it looked like the hair on one of the old troll dolls. Which looked like Don King's hair, in case you don't remember the trolls... (;-]
                    Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                    Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Yes, some girls used yarn.

YES, i remember trolls! i even had a troll house!!

As for the promise rings, i wondered what they really meant, but since i was old, i figured i'd just shut up about it... ;-)

I do know that alot of young people give them nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Christyle View Post
                        I think the whole "promise ring" thing is overrated and kinda pointless. Why not the engagement ring? Promise rings remind me of freshman year of h.s and you are older than that. I say skip the ring and get her a nice necklace.
                        I second that. I remember getting his class ring and vise versa. I still have his as a matter of fact but I am not sure what I did with mine. I kind of feel bad that I still have his. But I don't know where his sister lives since I was dating him after we both had graduated and his was in the Navy at the time (now he is deceased).

My ex boyfriend that I met on the net awhile back had bought me a promise ring but we never got married. I still have it but rarely wear it.

I think it is all a cliche.
                        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                        Not Yet Visited: 16
                        Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

I've never even heard of a "promise ring." I guess the jewelry stores weren't satisfied with the whole "two months salary for an engagement ring" thing anymore...now they want an extra week's salary for a pre-engagement promise ring.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post

If she likes to wear bracelets, maybe a charm bracelet, with a special charm? They have traditional, and Italian - both very nice. Then, as your relationship grows, you can mark each year or event with a new charm.
                            That is a great idea, with the charm bracelet.
                            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Save your money and play the field......
                              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5332 users online. 288 members and 5044 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X