300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaq's new reality show

I could have posted this in the healcth and fitness section but I think this is a social problem ad well as a health problem. Anyway, Kudos to this guy for taking a stand. Since I'm not an NBA fan I do not know much about Shaq but he's doing a great thing here. This is such a national crisis and nobody is talking about it. In fact, most of your pro athletes endorse fast food companies which is totally wrong, IMO.

The other day I saw a grossly overweight kid about six years old sitting in shopping cart sipping a huge high calorie drink from Starbucks. I wanted to punch his dad in the face. This is nothing short of child abuse.

Shaq’s New Reality Show Tackles Child Obesity
    Thursday, March 8, 2006—In the midst of all these reality shows that are purely for entertainment purposes overtaking our television sets comes a new, and refreshing, change of pace: Shaquille O Neal will be starring in a new ABC summer “reality show focused on childhood obesity and health,” according to the Associated Press.

The new six-episode series, which is a take on the British show Ian Wright’s Unfit Kids, will feature the basketball superstar and his efforts in helping a number of overweight Florida schoolchildren to lose weight. O’Neal will also reportedly be lobbying politicians on a number of issues, such as school nutrition.
    Producers have yet to decide on airdates as well as the official title for the new show, which will be airing sometime this summer in Broward County, Florida.

O’Neal, besides being a famous athlete, a father of six, and an advocate on children’s health and weight issues, is also an occasional actor, having appeared in the mid-1990s flicks Blue Chips (starring Nick Nolte) and Kazaam, as well as on Fear Factor, Ashton Kutcher’s Punk’d, and recently in Scary Movie 4, which also starred Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Craig Bierko, and Bill Pullman, in which Shaq appeared as himself opposite Dr Phil.
    —CL

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Yeah it looks good. I'm a big fan of Shaq because my favorite NBA team is the Miami Heat. Since we're on O.com, might as well point out that he's a Reserve Police Officer. He also helps the U.S. Marshals track down sexual predators. He even said though, that this show could save the kids' lives. And seeing the shape of some of them, he's probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by centralTMC View Post
      Yeah it looks good. I'm a big fan of Shaq because my favorite NBA team is the Miami Heat. Since we're on O.com, might as well point out that he's a Reserve Police Officer. He also helps the U.S. Marshals track down sexual predators. He even said though, that this show could save the kids' lives. And seeing the shape of some of them, he's probably right.
      I guess you could say he's not like your typical thug NBA type that like to star in those " stop snitching" videos.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

after watching some of the first show, its pretty clear how out of control these kids lives are.
        A 14 year old male that plays vidoe games 5 hours a day, eating a whole pizza and weigh close to 285.....goodness...talk about a early death sentance.
        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
        Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
          after watching some of the first show, its pretty clear how out of control these kids lives are.
          A 14 year old male that plays vidoe games 5 hours a day, eating a whole pizza and weigh close to 285.....goodness...talk about a early death sentance.
          285 lbs at 14? :O

Comment

there are two kids that are around that size, one male one female. the female is 283.

every one of them is obeses, and the majority are *morbidly obses* which means they are endanger of dying due to the weigh not just devoloping seroius illnesses.
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

Ariel, age 14, weighs 211 lbs. at the start of the show.

James, age 11, weighs 182 lbs. at the start of the show.

Chris, age 11, weighs 206 lbs. at the start of the show.

Kevin, age 13, weighs 230 lbs. at the start of the show.

Kit, age 14, weighs 263 lbs. at the start of the show.

Walter, age 14, weighs 285 lbs. at the start of the show.

http://www.shaqsfamilychallenge.com/...utthekids.aspx

Walter is the one that plays games 5 hours a day. He really has no social skills, very sad. Also on the show it showed Kevin nailing Areil in the face- HARD_ with a ball and then lie to his parents about it.
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

It's great he's actually doing things for kids. These children's parents should be held accountable for the weight problems.
                "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
                  It's great he's actually doing things for kids. These children's parents should be held accountable for the weight problems.
                  100% agree, and if they die due to the weigh problem, manslauhgter.
                  They have t teach them how to mange their food, weight and health.
                  Oscar Wilde

Comment

I don't know about your area, but around here most of the obese kids have obese parents. If they can't take reasonable care of themselves, they certainly can't teach their kids how to. There are many factors involved in being obese, one of which, in my opinion, is video games. After school, how many kids sit in front of the idiot tube and play video games for hours on end? What happened to riding bikes, playing ball, going for walks, etc.?

Shaq--good for him. Maybe he can change at least one kids life for the better.

Comment

No more recess in school.

No more PE in school.

1st cuts in recreation programs are almost always those for kids.

In fact, head down to your local Rec Center some day, and see what they have to offer. You will see programs for seniors, and yoga and such for adults. You will also see adults playing basketball, but not kids. And don't get me started on parks and playgrounds. Those aren't safe places for kids anymore either.

I take complaint calls all the time about kids playing on the school grounds after school. Even though the State of California mandates they be open if there is no park nearby.

And G-d forbid people drive slow through residential areas, like they did when I was a kid....heck, we even have a type code for "Ballgame in the Street." How messed up is that???

I don't think it's just the parents of obese kids that are the problem....I think our whole society shares the blame.
                      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I watched the first episode and was blown away by these kids! True society shares some responsibility with cutting funding for PE, parks and rec and even recess. I think our school district fears our children will freeze like popsicles so they cancel recess if it's below 50 degrees. My sisters children go to school in Buffalo. You know what they do? They send boots and snow pants to school and they play outside. The parents have a huge responsibility in this. They buy the food, they set the tone, they allow the video games and tv watching. My home is not a restaraunt in which they can order what they want to eat. We eat balanced meals that include all the food groups including (insert gasp here......) fruits and vegetables. Most balanced and homecooked meals are no harder to prepare or more expensive than McDonalds. That's a lame cop out.
                        I watched the episode last night and loved what Shaq and his team were trying to implement in the school. 20 minutes of excercise during the beginning of the day in homeroom. That is easy enough to accomplish. And with all the stress these kids are under at school with the testing, the release of endorphins early in the day would be very beneficial.
                        I like what he's doing.

Comment

In my son's former school district, recess took away from instructional time.

This was his elementary school.
                          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5316 users online. 293 members and 5023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X