300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Upcoming Tattoo

Alright. I'm planning to go get my first tattoo in 2 weeks. I've been thinking on it for about 2 months. I've been asking different people what they think of the idea, but I figure who better to ask than a bunch of cops.

A few things to note before your feedback:

1. It will say "Honor" on one side and "Courage" on the other. Not "Virtue"
    2. 118 was my dad's first star number (20-some years ago), 204 was my brother's first star number (10 years ago), and 217 is my first star number. We're all still alive and employed by the same agencies we were hired with.
    3. The "M" is for the first letter in our last name - it will be more free-flowing than the present M on the picture.
    4. I'm leaving it to the artist to make it look more natural than picture below. No color for now (black/silver).
    5. It's going on the upper-right portion of my back (back of the right shoulder), about 6 inches across in size (about the size of the actual image below).

I think that's all. ANY feedback is welcome. New ideas, criticisms, compliments, etc. Here's the generic picture:

"The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

I think you should squeeze "faith" in there, too. I love a tat with meaning.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

wow, it's large....

but cool that it actually means something- with the numbers, etc...

Comment

"Kickin' *** and Takin' Names" would be a nice touch as well!
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I think it looks cool.
          "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
          Not Yet Visited: 16
          Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

I'd have the artist expand and modify the "M" to make it take up more of the blank space inside the circle.

Also, realize that your artist will have to do some changes between "virtue" and "courage" because of the differences in word legnth. Basically, "courage" is going to be smaller than "virtue" is right now because of the legnth differences. I'd say you should stay with the same size font for both "courage" and "honor"...it would look uneven if you have different size lettering.

Otherwise, not a bad design at all.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I was gonna say the same thing about the "M." Would be more interesting if it even overlapped the edges of the star in some places. Some differences in the line thicknesses would add interest too (for example, make the thickness of the initial a lot different from that of the star.)

Comment

Yeah, the M is going to be far more freestyle. I even want it to wind around the points of the star, as if it's "grabbing onto" the points. It'll be bad.
                "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Very cool design!
                  I have one similar in size, same placement, with stylized initials, a five point star, and "family first." Someday I intend to add on, embellish it, but right now it's black and gold.
                  One thing to remember - that is a prime spot for your vest/carrier to rub and rest on. Hurts like heck for a while. Next time I have work done there, it's going to be at the beginning of a vacation week or at least a long weekend.
                  Good luck - post a photo when you've got it done.

Comment

Originally posted by rcs442 View Post
                    Very cool design!
                    I have one similar in size, same placement, with stylized initials, a five point star, and "family first." Someday I intend to add on, embellish it, but right now it's black and gold.
                    One thing to remember - that is a prime spot for your vest/carrier to rub and rest on. Hurts like heck for a while. Next time I have work done there, it's going to be at the beginning of a vacation week or at least a long weekend.
                    Good luck - post a photo when you've got it done.
                    Thanks! I've considered the "maintenance" with the vest and all. I'm on 12 hour shifts, and I plan to get it on a Friday afternoon/evening where I don't have to return to work until Monday night. 3 full days will give me at least a little cushion. I'm anxious to get it done and get pictures.

Comment

Very nice. Very classy. Keep in mind tattoo's are very addicting!
                      Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Think about it hard before getting a tattoo. Many people later regret the decision.
                        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

I would suggest turning the text "virtue" and "honor" facing outward so it would be easier to read. I think you're already going to make the "m" larger and wraping around the star, like it's embracing it.

Other than that, it's a great tat.
                          "The angle of the dangle is proportional to the heat of the meat." - Beavis

Comment

How about making it into a picture frame and give to your brother and father to hang on their wall at home. When it's on your back, when can you see it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hespoiled View Post
                              How about making it into a picture frame and give to your brother and father to hang on their wall at home. When it's on your back, when can you see it?
                              It's not a trophy, it's a reminder. A reminder to honor those who got me to where I am today. A reminder to never forget where we came from, and that we all start at the bottom. A reminder to be true to the virtues that were taught to me, and what my duty to the people is.

In the day-to-day hustle of the job, taking the petty reports, dealing with the scumbags, the incompetent co-workers or bosses, and just the overall nature of the job, it's sometimes easy to forget why I'm here. Both the reason and the method. I didn't do this for me, and I didn't do it alone.

I'll never forget I have that tattoo. If my brother and dad want an artistic rendering of the tattoo in a frame, I'd be happy to do that for them. But that's not the purpose.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2889 users online. 168 members and 2721 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X