300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I quit!!

Smoking that is...well, unless someone sets me ablaze, then I'd probably smoke, but I quit smoking cigarettes. I'd actually been quit for about three years and picked it back up two years ago. I started taking the Chantix and viola, quit before I'd finished the introductory first week of the meds. It's been....I think about a month now...I really couldn't tell you the day I quit...

I miss it. I enjoyed smoking and I probably will always crave one from time to time, but I needed to quit. If anyone is wanting to quit, I'd suggest you try Chantix...it does have some side affects, mine were very mild. Just thought I'd share....
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

OUTSTANDING! I quit 20 years ago after smoking some 15 years. There actually will come days when you do NOT think of or want a smoke - but it does take awhile.

I did it with copious amounts of hard candy and sunflower seeds, but at the end of a shift, my unit was covered in husks and my lips were so swollen I could have played a mean tuba.

That and some straws as pacifiers, did the trick. Any time I got the craving, I stuck a straw in my mouth and got past it.

Today I am one of "those" ex-smokers - I can't stand the smell of smokers or to be around them ( nothing personal to any smokers out there).
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

So, by side effecs do you mean minor like liver failure and kidney stones, bulging eyes and yellow skin?

Or do you mean major side effects like irritability and the uncontrollable desire to choke people.

Cuz I dont think I could take the irritabiity.

I tried to quit the Chew, but due to my current situation I thought it would be a bad idea. I did cut back. I chew nowhere near the can a day I was chewing, it take 5 days now.

BTW good job your a better man than me. (chuckle)
      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Congratulations! Magicman and I would like to quit and that is the goal by the end of summer. We are looking into Chantix and have heard great things about it. The last time we tried to quit smoking, we got so irritable that I threw a hot cup of coffee on him! We're lucky we're both alive and not in jail. I went to the BP and got some cigarettes. I stress to my kids ALL THE TIME!!!!! NEVER EVER EVER START SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER! Maybe we're just weak but it's a hard habit to kick. I'm proud of you for quitting! Good luck!

Comment

I'm a better man, eh? LOL Of course I am...I'm a woman.

The side effects...not too bad, actually. I was told by numerous people NOT to take it on an empty stomach and they were right. The first week you continue to smoke while you're building up the chantix in your system. I had some side effects of nausea for about an hour after taking the pill on days 1-3 and again on day 5, but it was minor and didn't keep me from going to work. I also started getting headaches so I learned to take some motrin at the same time I took the medicine which now that I think about it, might explain why I didn't get nauseous anymore, too. I know close friends that had nightmares and it caused them to kick the sheets...I didn't have that problem...didn't interrupt my sleep at all, but then again, not much does.

I haven't been eating everythign in sight, either. The thing I liked about it was that it blocks the part of your brain that craves the nicotine. I'd all but quit by day 5 and did quit by day 7. I literally just didn't want one.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Hitman, my other half didn't try to quit at the same time (good thing, cause we'd have killed each other)...he's still smoking...he's talking about quitting soon, but that's up to him...I got real tired of smelling like smoke and wasting my money...but I'm not going to lie about it...there are some times, mostly when I'm stressed, that I want to light up, but it's not enough that I can't handle it.
            sigpic

Comment

Congratulations to everyone who quit smoking. Now you can save your lungs and everyone elses.
              "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
              Not Yet Visited: 16
              Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

My ex smoked.....and finally quit smoking about 2 months ago....which is great....as now she's not posioning the air of her kids and anyone that comes to visit her.....

Congrats and keep up the good work....

Comment

Congratulations. That's a brave step to take.

I'm one of the super-fortunate who can smoke just a little or not at all. It was difficult to give up a daily habit of 3-4 smokes a day for a year or so; can't imagine how hard it would be if it was an ingrained habit. My bf says he's going to quit soon- that's his choice and I won't bother him about it. I know he'll do it when he makes his mind up. That's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                    Smoking that is...well, unless someone sets me ablaze, then I'd probably smoke, but I quit smoking cigarettes. I'd actually been quit for about three years and picked it back up two years ago. I started taking the Chantix and viola, quit before I'd finished the introductory first week of the meds. It's been....I think about a month now...I really couldn't tell you the day I quit...

I miss it. I enjoyed smoking and I probably will always crave one from time to time, but I needed to quit. If anyone is wanting to quit, I'd suggest you try Chantix...it does have some side affects, mine were very mild. Just thought I'd share....
                    Congrats. I want to quit myself. I'm weird though, I'm not a heavy smoker, I'll have like one or two a day and can go several days without having one. Like for example the last one I had was on Saturday. But eventually after a few days I start feeling like I could strangle someone. And besides that, once I have a martini or two, forget it, all bets are off and I can't stop myself from having one. I've never heard of Chantix??? Anyways congrats!! Here's a website too for helpful hints:

http://www.pmusa.com/en/quitassist/i...e_fca3_graphic
                    "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

Way to go! I HATE when people blow smoke in my face at dinner or at bars.

Again way to go!

Comment

I quit once for two months, but that is because I was in boot camp so I didn't have a choice. After I got out, something really got my blood boiling and the first thing I did was get a cigg. Now it was the most disgusting thing ever, but I did it anyways because somehow it made me feel better. So here I am still smoking with the desire to quit, but with the amount of stress in my everyday life it makes it REAL hard to do. It probably doesn't help that I started when I was like 11-12 years old (24 now).
                        I will consult my doctor about this drug you speak of, because I also am sick of smelling like smoke and wasting my money on ciggs. I would much rather spend my money on something worthwhile, like new computer parts!

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie View Post
                          Way to go! I HATE when people blow smoke in my face at dinner or at bars.

Again way to go!
                          WHAT!? People can still smoke in bars where you live!? Oh man, the good old days...
                          "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

Congratulations on quitting. I experimented with smoking while as a teen, did not like it. I couldn't inhale. Never touched it again.

Comment

KUDOS for everyone that stopped smoking. thats a great thing.
                              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                              Oscar Wilde

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5352 users online. 296 members and 5056 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X