• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo Trace or any Whiskey Rye

Comment

• dream34
      dream34 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like rye, but more often than not I mix up a Sazerac as opposed to sipping it straight.

This morning, it's a wee dram of a nice peaty Laphroaig 10 single malt Scotch whisky (no "e") from the Islay region, served neat in a proper Glencairn glass that I hand-carried back from Edinburgh Scotland. My daughter got it for me for Christmas.

Just sitting here watching the dogs sleeping, sprawled across my wife's new Italian leather sofa set, with the Christmas lights going on the Christmas tree and the outside of our home. They were so beautiful in the morning fog at sunrise.

Retirement rocks...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      This morning, it's a wee dram of a nice peaty Laphroaig 10 single malt Scotch whisky (no "e") from the Islay region, served neat in a proper Glencairn glass that I hand-carried back from Edinburgh Scotland. My daughter got it for me for Christmas.

Just sitting here watching the dogs sleeping, sprawled across my wife's new Italian leather sofa set, with the Christmas lights going on the Christmas tree and the outside of our home. They were so beautiful in the morning fog at sunrise.

Retirement rocks...
      I like the 10 year, but my favorite is the 15. I was really ****ed they quit producing it and actually kind of surprised, since that is the one which earned them a royal warrant. They rereleased it as a limited edition about 5 years back and I bought a case, but I've already burned through it. Until it returns I'll just have to make do with the 10.

So far as retirement goes, I'm looking forward to it. Just started DROP a month ago and in 3 years I'm done. Glad to see you are enjoying it!

Comment

Originally posted by dream34 View Post

I like the 10 year, but my favorite is the 15. I was really ****ed they quit producing it and actually kind of surprised, since that is the one which earned them a royal warrant. They rereleased it as a limited edition about 5 years back and I bought a case, but I've already burned through it. Until it returns I'll just have to make do with the 10.

So far as retirement goes, I'm looking forward to it. Just started DROP a month ago and in 3 years I'm done. Glad to see you are enjoying it!
        I've never tried the Laphroaig 15.

I did have an opportunity to try the Laphroaig 25 year, which is about $500 a bottle, but a fancy hotel bar I found, had a pricing glitch and they were selling it for $16 a dram, if memory serves.

Laphroaig 10 has been my fall-back Islay for years, but another favorite of mine is the Lagavulin 16, especially if I can get it for an advantageous price. When I could get it for $70 a bottle, I felt that it was a really good value. At $110 a bottle, I don’t seem to buy it as often.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
          Knob Creek, or Woodford Reserve. Maybe both. Chased with ginger beer.
          I'm not a bourbon drinker, but my choir group loves the Reserve!

Comment

After a couple of nice hand-crafted top-shelf margaritas, we retired to our home theater, where I had:

Rahr & Sons "Rumpy" rum barrel-aged pumpkin ale (9% ABV).

903 Brewers "Chupacabra" batch #4 oak barrel-aged stout, aged on coconut, marshmallows, hazelnuts, and white chocolate (12.8% ABV)

903 Brewers "German Chocolate Cake Stout" Imperial oatmeal stout aged on chocolate, coconut, and pecans, in collaboration with False Idols Brewing (13.3% ABV)

And 903 Brewers "Double Chocolate Cherry Stout" (13% ABV).

Comment

Today is Martin House Brewing Company's "Astronaut Apocalypse" Imperial Coconut Stout (12%ABV). It doesn't have a score yet, but I'm pretty impressed.

Comment

Tonight is Omme Gang Brewery's "Three Philosophers", a Double Chocolate Belgian Quadrupel/Kriek Ale (9.7% ABV), in collaboration with Taza Chocolate.

It only rates a 92 on Beer Advocate, but I would rate it significantly higher, and although I can appreciate Belgian Tripels and Quadrupels made with care, they are not among my favorite beer styles. This one is different- I really like it.

Comment

Rat poison…
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

FedEx just delivered this from the U.K.:

It's actually a gift for my wife. Looks like Gin & Tonics for us tonight.

Comment

Today we're getting back to something that I haven't done in a long time, but used to be a hobby of mine- the Mai Tai.

When I originally started making the Mai Tai many years ago, I came into it thinking that the Mai Tai was just one thing. thing. But I soon learned that the Mai Tai was a subjective spectrum, ranging from POG (Passion/Orange/Guava) and rum at Luaus for tourists, to Trader Vic's original 1947 recipe.

Today we found three special rums from Hawaii, to include a light rum (80 proof) as well as a dark rum (95 proof) to float off the back of a spoon for a prettier presentation.

The dark float wasn't part of Trader Vic's original recipe, but it does have a connection to the original recipe, and I am fond of it.

Today's Mai Tai falls midway in the above-mentioned spectrum, with pineapple, orange, guava, and a healthy dose of fresh-squeezed lime.

We're still in discussions on what movie to watch in our theater tonight, but the contenders include 50 First Dates and South Pacific.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3928 users online. 213 members and 3715 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X