300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping the question...

I'm freakin' nervous/scared/hesitant/excited...everything in the book! I've been dating my g/f for 8 months now, but she's been one of my best friends since I started going to UW-Stevens Point (she goes there too, I graduated May 20th) 3 years ago. Her and I had a talk the other night and something in my mind clicked... I want to propose. I knew since the day I met her that she would eventually be my wife... but I just didn't know when. Now, I do know, but I'm not at all prepared. I don't even have a ring (heck, I don't even know how to pick one out). I'm going to visit her this coming weekend and want to ask her parents for their blessing. Again, no clue how to do it, what to say, etc.

My best friend told me to use a ring-pop and be goofy, yet serious, about it. Then, I would have the opportunity to pick out a ring for her, and she could help pick it out too, apparently that's what women are wanting to do these days?

I need all the advice I can get from some of you that have gone through this before. Even some of the ladies in the audience... what's your advice? Should I better prepare myself? Do I wait until I can afford a ring? How do I ask her parents?

sigpic

take yourself down to Wal-mart and talk to ladies behind the counter, and they can guide you..on rings..even if you don't buy one there, you 'll have an idea
    "come on vacation, leave on probation"

Comment

Hmmmm...well, its been a lonnngggg time since i've been proposed to, but i will say a couple things.

Things may have changed about the women picking out the ring. My ex- picked out mine, and i liked that. But younger people will tell you the way things are now, i guess.

I would def take your time and prepare yourself. You are excited now, and you can keep that excitement, and still prepare yourself so you're not so nervous, just excited.

I dont know what exactly you say to the parents, besides asking for their blessing, because we did not do that part. My fiance was very shy at the time.

There are a million romantic ways to propose, and nowadays everything is done in a huge way. I personally think the small ways are best. We had had dinner in one of our favorite places, and were going driving afterwards, which was one of our other favorite pasttimes. In the parking lot, i always got the map out of the glovebox to look and see where we wanted to drive, and he had the ringbox inside the map.

To me, it was really special. I didnt need an airplane flying overhead spelling out my name, or something on a sportsboard or on TV to know that he loved me. BUT, those were the old days

Comment

8 months? wow...

anyways... there is a place here that you can buy the diamond and put it in a basic band and later come back and get a credit on the band and mount the diamond in something that she likes. that way you can still get a ring and still let her choose what she wants. i dont know how many jewelers do that.. but there are a few out there that will do credits and trades. i would search for something like that. nonchalantly find out the ring size tho if you can in a way that she wont figure it out.

as to romantic ways to propoose and getting the 'rents blessing.. i have not a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
          8 months? wow...
          Yeah, it's not a long time. But those 3 years before we were "officially" dating were as close as two people could get without actually being together...

Thanks for the tips so far.
          sigpic

Comment

Don't do it!

Comment

eternity: noun; def: The period of time between when he says, "Will you marry me?" and she answers.

Comment

You guys and your shenanigans...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by biggreen View Post
                  Don't do it!

ditto
                  Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                    eternity: noun; def: The period of time between when he says, "Will you marry me?" and she answers.
                    Is it sad that I fell over laughing at this.

Run run run run run run run run as fast as you can.

Comment

What does she like to do?
                      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Do somehting nioce like dinner at a nice place. (no it doesnt have to be the top steak house around or whatever...)

Get a ring, but leave it open for her to pick one if she so choose, (like sorry I dont have your ring size, want to come and see.....)

Good luck. Not all women are bad just like not all guys are bad. Once bitten twice shy, but hey three years as freinds and 8 months dating, thts some time. Good luck what ever happend.
                        ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                        Oscar Wilde

Comment

You know, asking cops for relationship advice is like asking Michael Moore for advice on diet and hygiene.
                          Last edited by jakflak; 06-03-2007, 06:32 PM.

Comment

why get married? Live together for awhile..unless of course you have to 'get married' or have a 'shot gun marriage"
                            In many staes after you have been toether for 7 years, your are considered commen law married...
                            Marriage is a trap..you really want 'a ball and chain??
                            Why rush it??
                            "come on vacation, leave on probation"

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol View Post
                              why get married? Live together for awhile..unless of course you have to 'get married' or have a 'shot gun marriage"
                              In many staes after you have been toether for 7 years, your are considered commen law married...
                              Marriage is a trap..you really want 'a ball and chain??
                              Why rush it??
                              We have already "lived together" in the sense of the words. Besides, she's not the type to stick a ball and chain on my ankle. We have our independence and that's one of the things that make our relationship so strong.

Jakflak: I'm not exactly asking for relationship advice Just advice on how to propose.

Mr. CO: Yeah, I nearly died laughing at that as well. I probably won't laugh so hard when I'm faced with it though... Maybe after the fact. Who knows.

Eman2k5: She's a traditional girl, loves having sand between her toes. I have a couple of places in mind. The dock at her grandparents cottage is my number one place. It's a very special place to her.

I looked online and put together a ring that I think she might like... and no.. I'm not buying this ring off the internet, I'll buy something very similar to it at a place in my hometown when the time comes. I'm gonna show it to her in some clever fashion that I will devise later.. and see what she thinks of it.

This is it:
                              engagement ring idea.JPG
                              3-stone trellis.jpg
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6814 users online. 353 members and 6461 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X