300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, raise your hand

who here has been caught just randomly driving around with your lights still on...perhaps you'd just cleared a call or traffic stop and forgotten to turn them off.

I was driving around one day after clearing a traffic stop and I remember thinking "What the h*ll is wrong with these people?" as other motorists were swerving to the right and slamming on brakes...evidently I'd been motoring around for a few minutes with the blue lights still going...looking for all the world, like an idiot....

Come on...fess up...you know you've done it too.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    who here has been caught just randomly driving around with your lights still on...perhaps you'd just cleared a call or traffic stop and forgotten to turn them off.

I was driving around one day after clearing a traffic stop and I remember thinking "What the h*ll is wrong with these people?" as other motorists were swerving to the right and slamming on brakes...evidently I'd been motoring around for a few minutes with the blue lights still going...looking for all the world, like an idiot....

Come on...fess up...you know you've done it too.
    After years of hearing the click of the flashers or stobe pack,i now have LED lights installed.I do forget sometimes,those darn things don't make any noise!!!Just during the day time though.At night I know they are on pretty easily.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

We actually had a call to dispatch about a police car cruising around with its overheads on. Dispatch called an all units in this area, "report of a police car driving around with its overhead ights on and seemed to just be cruising around." I checked mine fast and was glad it wasn't me.....this time. I did catch myself once when I cleared from a highway accident and was stopped at a red light and got funny looks. Stupid switch box wasn't clicking like I was used to.

Comment

Originally posted by xdrcx View Post
        We actually had a call to dispatch about a police car cruising around with its overheads on. Dispatch called an all units in this area, "report of a police car driving around with its overhead ights on and seemed to just be cruising around." I checked mine fast and was glad it wasn't me.....this time. I did catch myself once when I cleared from a highway accident and was stopped at a red light and got funny looks. Stupid switch box wasn't clicking like I was used to.
        It really sucks when you leave them on and you have your unit number on the side and back of the car.They know who is doing it,and dispatch never calls ya on the cell phone to tell ya about it,always on the radio!!
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

I've never had any "citizen" reports for that. I do know the "code phrase" though, so I'd tell my unit on tac if I did.
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

had one of our officers sitting on the side watching for stop-sign violations- a quick radio quirk of "unit#- you might have better luck if you turn your lights off"
            Updated on: 12/28/09

Comment

I cleared a traffic stop on days and took a ride down our main road. Got into the left turn lane and the driver of the pickup truck in front of me was visibly ticked. He made the left turn and stopped at the curb. As I slowly passed him, he honked. I backed up, rolled my window down:

"Your lights are on!"
              ".........So they are."

Not much more you can say.
              "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Been there done that. It happened on dayshift. I cleared a traffic stop and just started patroling. Our lightbar switches have a small glow when they are activated. Being out in the sun it really didn't draw my attention.
                Everywhere I drove people were getting out of my way. I remember thinking if people would get out of my way like this when I run lights and sirens I could make my calls alot quicker.
                Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Ill play your silly game.

I do it all the time when the light are on. Its usually the numer 1 position, with just the clickers on the over heads, no real sound, just people pulling over. the funny thing is, they pull over better with the #1 than with #3.
                  It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

guilty

How many look down at the console to check when someone says "lights" over the radio?
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg View Post
                      After years of hearing the click of the flashers or stobe pack,i now have LED lights installed.I do forget sometimes,those darn things don't make any noise!!!Just during the day time though.At night I know they are on pretty easily.
                      Same here. I forget all the time with LED's. The strobes were great...click click click.

Everyone else's new cars have a beep that goes off every thirty seconds or so, but mine doesn't. I'm sure I can turn it on, but I have no idea how.
                      "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Multiple times - I generally realize it about the time I'm cursing someone for not taking their right-of-way.
                        (Try sitting at a 4-way stop sign with your overheads on for a while and see how people react. On second thought, try to make the rookie do it.)
                        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I was listening to a cop from another dept. Our radios scan surrounding depts. And he asked another cop behind him if he had hit something. The other cop says "Yeah, you just ran over your clipboard" Dumb a**!!
                          "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

I'm guilty of it too...we have the old fashioned lights that you can hear spinning.....but during a hot day when you have the AC on, you can't hear them nor see them in the day light. It is a common prank of ours to call each other over the radio "318...check your overheads", even though his aren't on.

My post partner is a former body builder and is a HUGE guy. It is common for him to bump a button or two while moving around in the car and not realizing he has hit something. You will frequently find him cruising around with some sort of light on that shouldn't be.

Comment

Guilty,
                              I only work day shift so it happens alot. I am always looking at my control box. I am constantly leaving my arrow stick on. Needless to say if traffic is acting strange, I'm already looking at my box. You guys on nights definitely have it made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6259 users online. 372 members and 5887 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X