Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF - Bay Area sky turns orange.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Oregon sheriff asks neighborhood militias to stop with the roadblocks and checkpoints:

    https://twitter.com/MultCoSO/status/...986495488?s=20

    Curios what other sheriffs would do... I know of a couple who would be completely cool with armed civilians keeping riff raff from entering burned areas to rummage through the ashes for valuables....
    What does not kill you will likely try again.

    Comment


    • #32
      Kinda hard to stand against Rooftop Koreans when you allowed a city to burn...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        Oregon sheriff asks neighborhood militias to stop with the roadblocks and checkpoints:

        https://twitter.com/MultCoSO/status/...986495488?s=20

        Curios what other sheriffs would do... I know of a couple who would be completely cool with armed civilians keeping riff raff from entering burned areas to rummage through the ashes for valuables....
        I suspect some sheriffs might be "completely cool with it"...UNTIL things go completely wrong. What happens when someone refuses to show their ID or attempts to drive around one of these illegal roadblocks? Is the militia going to use force to stop them? And is the driver then justified in defending themselves and using deadly force?

        This whole scenario is absolutely unimaginable in New Jersey...but so are a lot of things.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
          I won't say that it's smoky where I'm at, but the EPA Air Quality Index rating this afternoon hit 473. Their scale only goes to 500.
          You sure about that? Last time I looked, our AQI in Portland had reached 555, and we're predicted to reach 625 today...

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
            This whole scenario is absolutely unimaginable in New Jersey...but so are a lot of things.
            Like freedom, for example.

            New Jersey doesn't trust it's subjects to exercise their Second Amendment Constitutional Rights to the same degree that the citizens of Oregon enjoy.

            Comment


            • Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol- If I drove 550 miles towards West Virginia...I'd still be in Oregon.

              East coast pseudo-intellectuals sure seem to have an odd sense of distance...
              Last edited by Aidokea; 09-14-2020, 04:35 PM.

            • Bing_Oh
              Bing_Oh commented
              Editing a comment
              You do not have the freedom to pump your own gas in Jersey, however...

            • not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              Bing_Oh True. Nor do people have that freedom in most of Oregon. So I guess we have THAT in common....

            • not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              Aidokea I'll make you a deal: How about we both drive 550 miles West?

          • #36
            Looters:

            https://www.kptv.com/news/clackamas-...40735e3ff.html

            Comment


            • #37
              Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

              I suspect some sheriffs might be "completely cool with it"...UNTIL things go completely wrong. What happens when someone refuses to show their ID or attempts to drive around one of these illegal roadblocks? Is the militia going to use force to stop them? And is the driver then justified in defending themselves and using deadly force?

              This whole scenario is absolutely unimaginable in New Jersey...but so are a lot of things.
              They have probable cause to believe a crime is being committed and a particular person is committing it. They are making a citizen's arrest for trespass and attempted burglary, crimes committed in their presence. If the driver threatens or appears to use his vehicle as a weapon, they also have attempted vehicular manslaughter.

              Use of force is justified in making an arrest, including deadly force.

              People forget that the only difference between police and private individuals in most jurisdictions, particularly in the West, is that police can arrest for a misdemeanor not committed in their presence. Power of arrest is the same, use of force is the same. Private citizens, technically, can even issue speeding tickets and swear out warrants... the limitation is that they don't have access to the documentation and courts, not that they're prevented from doing so by law.

              What the sheriff in this scenario needs to do is deputize the militia, assign one deputy per shift to wrangle them, give them rules of engagement and put the manpower to work. There's absolutely no reason they can't be used to do exactly what they are doing.

              On the plus side, the citizens of NJ enjoy the freedom to travel from point A to point B without having to ID themselves to a bunch of gun-toting hillbillies.
              ...and the freedom to loot Point B when they get there, while the citizenry looks on helplessly.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

              "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

              Comment


              • #38
                Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

                They have probable cause to believe a crime is being committed and a particular person is committing it.They are making a citizen's arrest for trespass and attempted burglary, crimes committed in their presence. If the driver threatens or appears to use his vehicle as a weapon, they also have attempted vehicular manslaughter.

                Use of force is justified in making an arrest, including deadly force.

                People forget that the only difference between police and private individuals in most jurisdictions, particularly in the West, is that police can arrest for a misdemeanor not committed in their presence. Power of arrest is the same, use of force is the same. Private citizens, technically, can even issue speeding tickets and swear out warrants... the limitation is that they don't have access to the documentation and courts, not that they're prevented from doing so by law.

                What the sheriff in this scenario needs to do is deputize the militia, assign one deputy per shift to wrangle them, give them rules of engagement and put the manpower to work. There's absolutely no reason they can't be used to do exactly what they are doing.



                ...and the freedom to loot Point B when they get there, while the citizenry looks on helplessly.
                WHAT are you talking about? The militia is reportedly blocking public roads and demanding to see ID from anybody that is traveling on those public roads. There's no trespassing, there is no crime being committed in their presence. If they want to protect their own homes (or someone else's homes) as a crime is being committed, fine. If they want to "patrol" neighborhoods in an attempt to discourage looting, fine. But blocking public roadways as some sort of preventative measure is illegal.

                And that assessment isn't coming from a NJ cop. That's coming from an Oregon sheriff who presumably knows the laws there.

                Comment


                • #39

                  From your article:

                  The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office responded to around 330 calls in fire zones between Tuesday and Thursday.

                  The sheriff’s office said the number of calls was a 405% increase over the calls fielded from Sept. 5-7. Most of the calls were related to suspicious vehicles or concerns about potential burglaries in Level 2 and Level 3 evacuation zones.

                  While the "vast majority" turned out to not be criminal in nature, according to deputies, several cases did lead to arrests.
                  Are you advocating shooting someone over a stolen box of handtools or a leafblower? Even IF the shooting is ultimately deemed justified, is it worth spending months in jail and paying a fortune in legal fees to fight homicide charges? Not to mention the trauma that typically comes with taking another person's life?

                  Just file a claim with your homeowner's insurance company and move on with your life.

                  Comment


                  • #40
                    You need to read further:

                    ...deputies said two suspects found the trailer “and decided to help themselves.” Buck Adam Nickel, 41, of Estacada, was arrested on charges of first-degree theft and felon in possession of a firearm. Deputies said he had a concealed .357 handgun. The second suspect, Kimberlee Tipton, 52, of Milwaukie, was cited for first-degree theft.

                    "The owners of the trailer were reportedly very happy when they arrived back at the scene and saw the suspects in custody,” according to the sheriff’s office.

                    In another case, a person in Estacada reported a suspicious SUV in his driveway near Rainbow Road. The driver left when confronted, but deputies located the SUV near Southeast Coupland Road and Porter Road.

                    The driver, Trevor Irish, 42, had a suspended license, according to deputies. Investigators said the passengers were in possession of heroin.

                    Holly Fawn Fay, 32, was cited for possession of heroin and a warrant for possession of methamphetamine. She was also on probation for a drug conviction, according to deputies.

                    Andrew Eric Roberts-Nichols, 32, was arrested on a felony heroin charges. Deputies said he was also on probation for mail theft.

                    In another separate incident, deputies responded to a report of suspicious people walking onto a property on Ringo Road, near Mulino, on Friday afternoon.

                    Deputies said James Dean Shotwell, 34, and Sandy Faye Lenox, 34, had stolen two gas-powered generators, a box of hand tools, two leaf blowers and at least one gas can from a neighboring property. They were both booked into jail on charges of theft and burglary.

                    Investigators said a stolen John Deere Gator side-by-side utility vehicle was also located in a nearby wooded area. Shotwell had the key in his pocket, according to deputies. The John Deere had been stolen out of Molalla, and police arrested another suspect in that case, 56-year-old Duane Schlip.

                    Additional stolen property was recovered, including a Polaris Ranger side-by-side utility vehicle...
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM.

                    Comment


                    • not.in.MY.town
                      not.in.MY.town commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did. The 330 calls led to the arrest of a whopping 5 suspects for property crimes in the entire county. IMO, those numbers hardly justify armed civilians blocking public roadways and demanding ID.

                    • Pogue Mahone
                      Pogue Mahone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wnder if the warlords errrr militia members stopping vehicles from passing through Eagle Creek would stop someone from Estacada from passing.

                      Estacada is the next town over from Eagle Creek on Hwy 211.

                      And I seriously doubt that any sheriff who authorizes such activities understands the huge amount of liability
                      they've taking on....

                  • #41
                    My wife and I have formed an armed militia- we are patrolling the inside of our own home. If looters enter our residence, I will probably not ask to see their ID...

                    Comment


                    • not.in.MY.town
                      not.in.MY.town commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There is no duty to retreat inside your own home in NJ.

                    • Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well good, then you can let them chase you into your own home to loot it, and then you can "...just file a claim with your homeowner's insurance company and move on with your life..."

                    • not.in.MY.town
                      not.in.MY.town commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The more you post, the more you embarrass yourself.

                    • Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't sell yourself short...

                  • #42
                    We got some overnight drizzle here. No more smoke and ash, for now.

                    West coast wide weather radar showed rain storms rolling into Portland and Seattle over the next 7 days.
                    semper destravit

                    Comment


                    • Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We're hoping for rain tomorrow...

                    • RGDS
                      RGDS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s great to hear! I hope there is enough rain to put out most of these fires.

                  • #43
                    Well...now Laurie can be back in the news..
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

                    Comment


                    • #44
                      The smoke has reached Europe...

                      https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...eached-europe/

                      Comment


                      • #45
                        Good. Screw those self centered Eurotrash.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 4258 users online. 277 members and 3981 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X