300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
    We're just outside of Portland, and we're being told to get ready to evacuate. We've filled our tanks (including a 5-gallon fuel jug for our portable generator), stocked up on water, toilet paper, food, cash, ammo, and beer. We just dropped off a bunch of water and energy bars at the local fire station. We're back home now, just trying to stay indoors with the windows closed unless and until they tell us to evacuate. There are reports of looting already...
    Welcome to CA.

Greenlight.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

"Raking" the forest involves removing dead falls and thinning it out so there isnt as much fuel to cause these destructive wildfires

Something the bunny humpers have been screeching to prevent for too many years, and you can see the results from it
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Bazinga!!!

Comment

They're saying "zero percent contained", which I think is fire department speak for "completely out of control". They've extended the yellow zone to the highway less than a mile from our home.

I'm really hoping that we don't end up sleeping in our partially-constructed home-built 6x6 RV tonight...

Comment

It means just that. They have no lines of control started and are in rescue/response mode, not suppression mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
              They're saying "zero percent contained", which I think is fire department speak for "completely out of control". They've extended the yellow zone to the highway less than a mile from our home.

I'm really hoping that we don't end up sleeping in our partially-constructed home-built 6x6 RV tonight...
              That’s awful close. Be safe.

I was reading the online newspaper out of my old Oregon stomping grounds (Harney County, population 7,300, and as big as Rhode Island). Evidently, there’s a shortage of housing these days, as Oregonians are escaping Portland and moving to the hinterlands where $200K can get 80 acres and a ranch house. It’s mostly sage brush, so the flames never get bigger than a couple of feet when fire season rolls through...
              What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

I won't say that it's smoky where I'm at, but the EPA Air Quality Index rating this afternoon hit 473. Their scale only goes to 500.
                This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
                  I won't say that it's smoky where I'm at, but the EPA Air Quality Index rating this afternoon hit 473. Their scale only goes to 500.
                  We currently have the worst air quality in the world:

https://katu.com/news/local/with-thi...worst-in-world

Comment

It’s ok. It’s getting us used to being a a Third World Country...

Comment

Mother Nature is rioting. Seems you guys can't catch a break. Be safe everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        "Raking" the forest involves removing dead falls and thinning it out so there isnt as much fuel to cause these destructive wildfires

Something the bunny humpers have been screeching to prevent for too many years, and you can see the results from it
                        I'm curious, how do you propose that this is done? Logistically it's next to impossible, due to the size of the US. Finland is a different story due to its size and the roadway system through its forests. It can be done in the US, probably if taxes are raised, again. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Logging to remove the deadfall and thin the forest out

controlled burns

all of which used to be done until certain activist groups grabbed their pearls over the practice.

and again , you can see the results of that
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                            Logging to remove the deadfall and thin the forest out

controlled burns

all of which used to be done until certain activist groups grabbed their pearls over the practice.

and again , you can see the results of that
                            In addition to controlled burns that are managed and letting the fires burn uncontrolled to mitigate the issue until they encroach is another possibility. The main underlying factor that always seems to rear its head is people. If you build where there is fire potential, you have to assume the risk. One additional component is the land owners, who dont want the fire to overrun their property because it becomes worthless without trees to sell. I say let them burn, if you made a calculated risk and lost it's on you. If previous fires were allowed to burn there wouldn't be as large of an issue now.
                            Last edited by retired137; 09-12-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

. .
                              Last edited by BTDT2; 09-13-2020, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4435 users online. 276 members and 4159 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X