Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you do if you can’t be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can he not be a cop? Felony conviction?
    Number one rule. Make them tell you no. Other agencies may take him. If not there are other opportunities in military. Learn French and be a Legionnaire.
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
      Why can he not be a cop? Felony conviction?
      Number one rule. Make them tell you no. Other agencies may take him. If not there are other opportunities in military. Learn French and be a Legionnaire.
      Not sure you were asking me questions, if you weren't my bad, but if you did here goes.

My son could be a cop if he really wanted to, but I encouraged him while growing up, to not be one. No he does not have any felony convictions, he has never been arrested, his job in the Air Force required a secret clearance in which he obtained. Again, I love being a cop, but in todays politically correct environment, doing my job has become frustrating. Sometimes the lack of follow through with the DA's office can make you feel at the end of the day that all your hard work and effort was meaningless, it can be demoralizing. When you arrest the same doucebag day in and day out for the same felony crimes and he never stays in jail, it gets old.

I didn't want my son to do a job where he would feel like he is swimming against a current and getting nowhere. I didn't want my son to do a job where it feels like no one appreciates what you do and blames him for the dumb decisions politicians make. I wanted him to do a job where at the end of a shift, or at the end of his career, he really felt a sense of accomplishment.

I wanted also for him to do a job he could do even after a physical injury. A lot of cops have no fall back option if they receive an injury on duty and can no longer physically perform police work.

Anyway, for those applicants that feel like the world is over because they could not or have not been able to get hired as an officer, it may be a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Medical field most likely.
        I signed up to me an Army MP back in the days, and just rode out to the LEO career path. No regrets, but wouldn't say its a dream career either

Comment

I've been asking myself this question very hard and very often recently. I enjoy the job, but looking at a relocation in the near future for the sake of family to an area where LE hiring is difficult even for people with experience, I'm scrambling to find backup options that would pay the bills. I've looked at everything from playing mall cop again to attempting some sort of trade school. Ultimately it's been one hell of a stressor to think about. The thought of a potential sideways or even backwards step in terms of income is worrying to say the least. I put my entire life into wanting to be in police work and I'll be damned if I'm not beating myself up for not listening to the countless vets that told me to have a backup plan.

Anybody that left LE for other fields of work, what are you doing now? How's the pay? How was the transition process? CDL classes and apprenticeships can't be that hard for a moron trapped in a Deputies body, right?
          Last edited by DeputyVye; 11-11-2020, 05:28 AM.
          "In Valor, There is Hope."

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyVye View Post
            I

Anybody that left LE for other fields of work, what are you doing now? How's the pay? How was the transition process? CDL classes and apprenticeships can't be that hard for a moron trapped in a Deputies body, right?
            I know a lot of ex cops who are truck drivers ugh..............driving in bad weather etc isn't a fun thing for me

Me, I would learn how to weld
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Working at the railroad and small business owner is on my list of jobs if this LEO thing doesn't work out. Being a conductor or engineer. Owning a Chick-Fil-A or other real estate endeavor.

Comment

• ehbowen
                ehbowen commented
                Editing a comment
                Just FYI, the schedule of a newly hired conductor and/or engineer makes that of a law enforcement officer look predictable and desirable. Google 'Extra Board' some time.

• scotty_appleton814
                scotty_appleton814 commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh was aware of that. I got hired on Seattle and in Chicago where senoirty goes up fast. I have a friend who got hired around that same time outta Chicago, about 6 years ago who pretty much makes his own schedule. His first 2 years however gave me a run my money as fair as crappy work hours go. But at year 4 and 5, he was able to work mostly late day and noon runs.

I joined the regular Army in 2004 as an 11B because I wanted to kill and blow stuff up, did 2 OIFs and busted my cherry. In 2009, I came home and joined the National Guard until 2013. Before my OEF, they voluntold about 2 dozen of us for the OPOTC basic class because they wanted grunts that could liaise with the cops better when on Title 32 orders.

Aside from that, I've worked in the oilpatch mostly because the money is too good to say no to, plus the field is chock full of degenerate former 11Bs and 0311s - my kind of people. Driving in the patch is even better. In 2016 I got bored and joined the Navy Reserve as an Equipment Operator (EO1), got to be a Seabee, and got out early this year.

Comment

After I retired from the Army several years back, couldn't get a job anywhere. Tried three police forces, and one got me all the way to the city counsel where one fellow said to me to the effect of "Elephant in the room - why do you want to do this?" Told them I'd served all my adult life in uniform and wanted to continue. They passed on me for some much younger man I'd heard was related to someone important, and that was my last attempt at becoming a civilian LEO.

Then fell almost face-first into a district manager job for a security company in Memphis. That was a whole lot of not-fun, where I fired more security officers a week than I hired, and often had to go stand posts for SOs who didn't show for work. Also rotated through subordinate managers entirely too often.

Then came the break I'd been looking for - job as a JROTC instructor, which is something I'd wanted to pursue even before retiring from the Army. Pretty small segment that can do that - and only a three-year window after retirement, after which the opportunity permanently ends.

Still at it five years later and really enjoying this second career - even with the pandemic keeping kids (and me) at home for the most part.
                "I cannot consent to place in the control of others one who cannot control himself."

- Robert E. Lee

Comment

I worked as an Aux. officer and campus police while attempting to get on with bigger departments but never really branched out more than a few major departments. I can't really say i put much effort in outside of a few years to get hired. It took along time to get hired into my current profession as a parole officer but i'm much happier where i am rather than where i would be.
                  I work first shift, have good benefits, and overall can pretty much take off when i need to. I wouldn't have that as a cop. The limited experiences i had as an officer i would never give up and it molded me to what i do today. In our county, we are very active , do our own arrest and investigations, so it's a mix between supervision and police work. Alot of people overlook the job because they think it's just babysitting, and yes that is somewhat true at times, but it all depends what department and location you get hired with when it comes to probation/parole.
                  I first started out in computer programming and networking, part of me wishes i would have continued on that path. I would be making a much better salary at no risk. I would also probably be extremely bored and maybe unhappy. I also do a side gig at a former full time employer working hospital security (unarmed). I get paid really well for walking around and giving breaks..... that would be my retirement or fall back if needed..

Comment

I worked as a deputy sheriff for 5 yrs with a toxic Sheriff after working in Corrections for 2 yrs

I had a couple arguments with the Sheriff.......who of course won. I resigned. I tried a number of agencies and didn't get anywhere.

I went back to State Corrections & retired 27 yrs later as a shift supervisor in a Maximum Security Prison.

I had a good career.....................

I have now worked nearly 10 yrs as a Transport /Court Security Officer for a small Sheriff's Office, back in a deputy's uniform
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I first started out in computer programming and networking, part of me wishes i would have continued on that path. I would be making a much better salary at no risk. I would also probably be extremely bored and maybe unhappy.
                      That's kind of my history. I retired from the US Army, and eventually landed a Database Administrator job after goofing around for a few years at Starbucks and similar jobs (Starbucks was actually really fun). Database paid pretty well, was boring and... stressful and stupid at the same time. Helping Sony datamine their customer info isn't going to change anything.

Now I earn a bit more than I did as a DBA, and have the feeling that every once in a while I do something worthwhile.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5512 users online. 308 members and 5204 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X