300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not shop on etsy

Over the years I have purchased quite a few items on ETSY (Wooden Flags, Badges) but that all ended today. A few minutes ago I received the below email...

“To the Etsy Community,

The past days and weeks have, once again, shone a spotlight on the tremendous injustices in our society. We stand in solidarity with our employees and communities who are voicing their anguish, anger, and deep frustration with systems that oppress and devalue Black lives.

We stand against police brutality in all forms.
    We stand against a criminal justice system that disproportionately targets Black Americans.
    We stand against the widespread disenfranchisement of Black and Brown communities whose voices are silenced at the polls.

Allyship with Black communities is as much a moral imperative as a requirement of our business.

We can’t fight for small businesses, if we don’t also fight for the empowerment of Black business owners.
    We can’t hire and care for our Black employees, if we don’t also protect Black lives everywhere.
    We can’t be there for women employees, if we aren’t also standing up specifically for Black women.
    We can’t advocate for parents, if we aren’t standing with Black mothers and fathers who fear for their Black childrens’ lives.

Black Lives Matter is the civil rights movement of our time, because it addresses a fundamental inequality in our society: that Black lives are too often undervalued. This notion inspired Etsy’s own internal commitments from diversity and inclusion to economic empowerment.

We also believe that it’s critical to provide support to organizations working tirelessly for criminal justice reform and those that assist Black-led institutions. That’s why today we are announcing donations of $500,000 to the Equal Justice Initiative and $500,000 to Borealis Philanthropy's Black-Led Movement Fund, as well as matching employee donations. We encourage our community to join us in supporting these important organizations.

Etsy is built on a belief that communities have the power to change the status quo. Change is hard-fought, and we are committed to this fight.“
    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Somebody just got WOKE!!!

Comment

Etsy isn't Amazon or Walmart. It's an online marketplace. Yes, they take some commission percentage from sellers on there, but by and large Etsy is the number one site for mom and pop style small businesses of all stripes to sell their handmade, custom products that they used to be able to make a living doing in brick and mortar before Amazon, Walmart etc. destroyed them.

By not shopping on Etsy because of some stance the corporation takes that you disagree with, you're not hurting their 5% fee they take... you're hurting small businesses. Those businesses you bought wooden flags and badges from are not some San Francisco liberal startup, it's hard working American families. I learned this chatting with woodworkers, sculptors, artists, and other folks selling their products at numerous fairs/festivals in the last few years. Etsy literally is their livelihood now and all they've got with how shopping has shifted online.

Comment

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand completely how it works (I’ve bought probably a couple dozen items over the years) but I refuse to support this BS. From this point I could always contact the small business and purchase dIrectly from them. ETSY will never get a penny from me again.

• waffledog47
        waffledog47 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair enough, I hear you. I didn't mean to come across as an *******, I just wanted to make sure people understood that it's not like refusing to buy from Etsy is the same as boycotting Amazon or Target products.

And you sir are part of the problem. ETSY won't be losing any sleep over losing your business. This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure! Whether you like it or not, this is the civil rights movement of our time. STANDING UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT!

Comment

Originally posted by TedMosby View Post
        And you sir are part of the problem. ETSY won't be losing any sleep over losing your business. This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure! Whether you like it or not, this is the civil rights movement of our time. STANDING UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT!
        There is nothing civil about this "civil rights movement." I agree when there is a disagreement with the government then by all means protest. But protest peacefully. All these riots do is anger people and diminish the actual legitimate grievance. It makes it look like people are taking advantage and using the legitimate grievance as an excuse to loot, steal, kill and destroy.

ETSY did not need to come out and make blanket statements such as this:

We stand against a criminal justice system that disproportionately targets Black Americans.

Is there racial injustice in some areas of this country? Yes, but not ALL areas, which that statement is claiming. Give me a break, I've worked in the criminal justice field for 13 years and I have never seen an instance where a black person was disproportionally targeted. It exists, but on so much of a smaller scale than what that statement and what BLM espouses.

Comment

I've only purchased one thing through Etsy and it looks like it will be my last.

I've started in 1994 and have NEVER seen one race targeted over another. Every place I've worked, we just followed the evidence. When people complained or reported something we responded. Nothing more nothing less!

Comment

You must be a deep thinker... the reason of my post wasn’t to announce to the world my departure but to inform the readers of O.com of the political propaganda this company is putting out. We live in a capitalist society (at least for now) and my recourse is to choose not to purchase anything from their website.

The entire premise of this “movement” is nothing but propaganda and is not backed up by any actual FACTS.

- On Sunday (just Sunday) Chicago had 15 homicides (most likely all African American victims killed by fellow African Americans)

- Last year there were over a thousand deadly force encounters with police. 231 Of these incidents were African Americans. Only 9 involved unarmed African Americans (there were 19 unarmed white Americans involve In deadly force encounters with police).

- African American men make up 6 percent of the population but account for over 53 percent of arrests nationwide for homicide.

- Last year African American men (that represent 6 percent of the population) accounted for 42 percent of all homicides on police officers.

- In 2017 there were over 10, 554,000 arrests in the US. With approximately 1,000 deadly force encounters this means that as a percentage LESS than .0001 of arrests ended in a deadly force situation. In 2016 there were over 60,000,000 contacts between police and the public This means that LESS than .00001667 percent of all contacts with police ended in a deadly force encounter.

Those are the facts no matter how inconvenient they may be for you.

I AM STANDING UP FOR WHAT’S RIGHT
            “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
            DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• 1RidgeRunner7
              1RidgeRunner7 commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s the un adulterated truth people don’t want to hear. Even though it’s bitter, you have to swallow it.

Unfortunately, Etsy isn't the only business doing this right now. I've received the same type of email over the past few days from various businesses including stores, restaurants, and even an ice cream company.

Comment

• Exbpa340
              Exbpa340 commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. I’m a pretty stubborn individual so I will make every effort to not spend my money at businesses that push this BS.

I realize that it’s everywhere and it’s probably like trying not to buy something that’s made in China (tough to do).

Over the years I’ve ceased doing business with certain companies due to a wide variety of reasons (politics, political correctness, business practices, customer service). I ceased shopping at Target after the the Transgender bathroom policy/incident (which was preceded by Target being hacked and then hiding this from its customers for almost a year). We used to shop there weekly but haven’t been to one in about 4 years. Stopped shopping at Costco years ago after I noticed that they weren’t stocking Dinesh D’Souza’s book (which was on the NYT bestseller at number 2 or 3) but had literally thousands of Hilary Clinton’s book (which nobody was buying). After that I did a little research and discovered that in any given year Costco political contributions go 95-98 percent to the Democratic Party (Walmart/Sam’s club is more of a 55/45 split). I see the Costco thing as activism. That plus I was sick of the crowds at Costco.

https://californiaglobe.com/section-...urder-t-shirt/

I haven’t personally checked, but Amazon reportedly has the above anti-Cops shirts. If so, I’m really thinking about discontinuing my membership with them.

Comment

except that's not what's happening. There are over 900,000 cops in the US. One guy did one thing and cities are burning.

Blaming all of us is no different than blaming all Muslims for 9/11, all Chinese for beer flu or anything else...

...yet here you are.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by angeredmgmt View Post
                https://californiaglobe.com/section-...urder-t-shirt/

I haven’t personally checked, but Amazon reportedly has the above anti-Cops shirts. If so, I’m really thinking about discontinuing my membership with them.
                Come on guys, this is starting to morph into "copflake" territory now. Who cares? You can buy anything under the sun on Amazon, like the new pack of mourning bands I got a few weeks ago from them. We live in a free market, capitalist system. Maybe I'm just blind but I think this is no different from leftist PC cancel culture BS. Unless they put a banner on their site that says "All cops are murderous pigs," the fact that they have those products amongst the billions? of others in their inventory isn't making me lose any sleep at night.
                Last edited by waffledog47; 06-11-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waffledog47 View Post

Come on guys, this is starting to morph into "copflake" territory now. Who cares? You can buy anything under the sun on Amazon, like the new pack of mourning bands I got a few weeks ago from them. We live in a free market, capitalist system. Maybe I'm just blind but I think this is no different from leftist PC cancel culture BS. Unless they put a banner on their site that says "All cops are murderous pigs," the fact that they have those products amongst the billions? of others in their inventory isn't making me lose any sleep at night.
                  I agree with you to a certain extent, but when Amazon refuses to sell the other side of the coin it makes it appear biased to one side. For example, try and find a Confederate flag for purchase on Amazon.....good luck.

I don't care what they sell, I just think that it all should be sold. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

And don't come out as a company and make blanket statements that are not true at all. I mean, who the hell was asking Etsy of all places to comment on the current circumstances? Why would some CEO think it necessary for his company to put out statements like the above? It isn't like the whole BLM crowd was sitting back wondering, "Hhhhmmm, wonder where Etsy stands on this issue."

Stop pandering, it looks so pathetic.

Comment

• Sarkis
                    Sarkis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is more than just pandering, it is stupidity and racism at it's finest.

BS reasons that are false and BS from ETSY. You're thoughts are not alone OP.

Comment

Originally posted by waffledog47 View Post

That’s absolutely right, we live in a free market, capitalist system...which means where you decide to shop or not means something - in a way it is voting with your money. I was taught long ago by my grandmother to “not trade” with people or businesses you don't agree with.

I have a personal list of businesses I won’t purchase anything from or will limit my purchases at, but I won’t tell others to join because it is personal to me. Just like me alerting others to my original post, it is up to others to decide to boycott Amazon or any other place.

Comment

.We live in a free market, capitalist system.
                      we do... and where I choose to spend my money is part of that system.

that said, I’m not boycotting every seller on Etsy any more than I am every seller on amazon
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3341 users online. 228 members and 3113 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X