300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good cop novels

I have read several so far. One is a series of novels the other is a recent one. Both about the Philadelphia PD and I recommend them all.

One is "A Sense of Duty" by Michael P. Tremoglie x369. This was published in 2006 available at Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com Have not seen it in bookstores though. Takes you through a lot of the police academy training.

The other is Badge of Honor series by W.E.B. Griffin all about the Phila PD. One begins with the Krass Brothers murders in 1973. These are available everywhere. Except the older ones you might have to go to Griffin's website to order.

Then there is Joseph Wambaugh's series about the LAPD. I never read these although I watched the TV show Police Story and the movie The New Centurions.

Anybody read these or others they could recommend?

Please, PLEASE read Wambaugh. Read these for sure, "The Blue Knight", "The New Centurians", and "The Choir Boys". The films do not do them justice. You can tell from the stories that Wambaugh use to be a Cop. You may have to go to a used book store to find them they are old, but Brother, they are well worth the effort.

Comment

Ditto on the Wambaugh stuff.
      I knew he had a nonfiction work that I haven't read yet (Fire Lover: A True Story, 2002) but Wikipedia says there's also a "new" novel out there. (Hollywood Station, 2006) I gotta get one of each. There's an excerpt from the novel here.

In the course of Googling around for a list of his writings, I ran across this quote: "As a cop, I dealt with every kind of bum and criminal. They all have more integrity than some Hollywood people."
      --
      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Have you read the Camel Club books by Baldacci?

One of the main characters is Secret Service. I haven't read the 2nd one yet, but really enjoyed the first one.
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...Go.x=3&Go.y=11
          ...Know Fear...

Comment

i haven't read any cop fiction, but i would recommend "Blue Blood" by Edward Conlon. He's a NYPD detective in Midtown, i think. the book talks about how he came up through the ranks in the NYPD and he also gives a little bit of family history (dad was FBI, great-grandfather was NYPD, uncle was NYPD-Harbor Unit). it's a great book, i've read it several times.
            When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
            -JPR

Comment

Try reading W.E.B. Griffith, he has a series of books about the Phiilly PD. I have enjoyed reading them.

Comment

I just finished Hollywood Station a while back..Couldn't put it down. Very believable characters and cool story. Wambaugh knows LAPD and cops in general.

Comment

Originally posted by oshphopeful View Post
                  i haven't read any cop fiction, but i would recommend "Blue Blood" by Edward Conlon. He's a NYPD detective in Midtown, i think. the book talks about how he came up through the ranks in the NYPD and he also gives a little bit of family history (dad was FBI, great-grandfather was NYPD, uncle was NYPD-Harbor Unit). it's a great book, i've read it several times.
                  ditto on this one, excellent book.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                    Have you read the Camel Club books by Baldacci?

One of the main characters is Secret Service. I haven't read the 2nd one yet, but really enjoyed the first one.
                    Camel Club dosen't ring a bell, but I have read several of his, two in particular are recent works with ex-SS agents who have a private agency. I really enjoyed them. My favorite Baldacci, though, was The Winner. Or maybe Absolute Power.
                    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Wambaugh?

All right, it's time to put it out there...

Am I the only one who dosen't like this guy? I slogged my way through Centurions several years ago, because I didn't want to give up on it. I seem to recall a bunch of guys that shouldn't have been cops learning how to be corrupt. For example, one main character joined for the steady paycheck, right? And another learned from his crusty old FTO how to drink on duty and get away with it. Am I remembering the right book? Regardless of how accurate you think the book portrays some cops, I just don't get why all you guys want to glorify the negative.

If ya'll all tell my I'm wrong, I guess I'll try it again. I'll admit, Centurions is the only one I've read, but you guys seem to think it's one of the best.

BTW, I skimmed through Choir Boys in the bookstore a while back, and it seemed to be about cops that had a group-sex club. Was that right?
                      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Calm down school cop. If you don't like it fine, but don't be ****y about it. Go by the school library and find some more books. You said yourself, you've only read one, try the others. It may just be the author. Some folks don't like Steven King, I love his stuff. To each his own. By the way, the rookie from centurians was ****ed because of his old fto's actions, if you post something about a story, get it right. And Choir Boys is about a sex group about as much as this post is. If sound as if I am getting ****ed, I am. Damn, you really ****ed me off. Go search a locker or eat a piece of square pizza and leave me alone.

Comment

I like Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus novels. They're set in Scotland, so I don't catch any literary license he might take with procedure. It tends to spoil things for me if the author gets the little details wrong.
                          I also enjoy Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn / Chee books.
                          Last edited by Seventy2002; 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                            Camel Club dosen't ring a bell, but I have read several of his, two in particular are recent works with ex-SS agents who have a private agency. I really enjoyed them. My favorite Baldacci, though, was The Winner. Or maybe Absolute Power.
                            That would be "Hour Game" and "Split Second" former SS agents Michelle Maxwell and Shawn King. I have "Camel Club" in paperback and "The Collectors" on audio book. I won't listen "Collectors" until I read "Camel". I love everything that Baldacci has put out to date. I read the W.E.B Griffen series and enjoyed them.

Other others I have read (or listened to in some cases)

John Sandford - "Prey" series
                            James Lee Burke - Dave Roubicheaux series
                            Tony Hillerman
                            William J Caunitz
                            J.D. Robb (this one is a chick series without a doubt)
                            An untitled, not quite completed book written by little ol' ME
                            Nelson DeMille
                            Vince Flynn
                            Andre Klavan

I am a book freak. In addition to writing, I love to read, plus I listen to books on CD or tape all day long at work. I haven't read Wambaugh, but I will look for them at the library the next time I am there.
                            R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                            I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bo1664 View Post
                              Calm down school cop. If you don't like it fine, but don't be ****y about it. Go by the school library and find some more books. You said yourself, you've only read one, try the others. It may just be the author. Some folks don't like Steven King, I love his stuff. To each his own. By the way, the rookie from centurians was ****ed because of his old fto's actions, if you post something about a story, get it right. And Choir Boys is about a sex group about as much as this post is. If sound as if I am getting ****ed, I am. Damn, you really ****ed me off. Go search a locker or eat a piece of square pizza and leave me alone.
                              How was I being (whatever you called me)? I tried to elaborate on what I didn't like. I wanted to know what I remembered wrong, or didn't get at the time. I read a lot, and a lot of different kinds of fiction. I just was very unimpressed and haven't tried again.

Evidently, you did get the drift of my post:
                              It may just be the author. Some folks don't like Steven King, I love his stuff. To each his own.
                              But then you attacted me personally:
                              If sound as if I am getting ****ed, I am. Damn, you really ****ed me off. Go search a locker or eat a piece of square pizza and leave me alone.
                              I don't get why you're so PO'ed because my opinion differs from yours. But, no hard feelings.
                              BTW, you also said this:
                              By the way, the rookie from centurians was ****ed because of his old fto's actions, if you post something about a story, get it right.
                              Again, this is a QUESTION, not an INSULT, but didn't the novel end with the rookie also drinking on duty? It was a while ago, but I was distinctly left with that impression.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6283 users online. 324 members and 5959 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X