Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Off duty Weapon

Hey All!

It looks like my Dept. will go from the Glock .40 to the Glock .45 sometime this year....We will have the personal choice or either Glock 21 or Glock 30 for on Duty. Our off duty choices have up to now been restricted to the same caliber as the duty weapon and subject to qualification under the NJ AG's guidelines. The caliber restriction may be dropped with a recent change of leadership...I'm looking for Ideas...I have big hands and I'm not too keen on the G30 grip.....I'd probably first look at a sub compact .45....what's the story on the S & W 325 revolver in 2 3/4 barrel? was that discontinued?..too much muzzle flip? anyone use the modern half-moon or full moon clips?
    The Kahr a good piece or a pos?
    Thanks in advance!
    Jerseyshore

PS any info on mail order firearms dealers?
    I have a guy from another dept who has a FFL so it would be all above board.
    Last edited by jerseyshorecop; 05-14-2007, 07:55 PM. Reason: PS

Lucky you

Originally posted by jerseyshorecop View Post
    Hey All!

It looks like my Dept. will go from the Glock .40 to the Glock .45 sometime this year....We will have the personal choice or either Glock 21 or Glock 30 for on Duty. Our off duty choices have up to now been restricted to the same caliber as the duty weapon and subject to qualification under the NJ AG's guidelines. The caliber restriction may be dropped with a recent change of leadership...I'm looking for Ideas...I have big hands and I'm not too keen on the G30 grip.....I'd probably first look at a sub compact .45....what's the story on the S & W 325 revolver in 2 3/4 barrel? was that discontinued?..too much muzzle flip? anyone use the modern half-moon or full moon clips?
    The Kahr a good piece or a pos?
    Thanks in advance!
    Jerseyshore

PS any info on mail order firearms dealers?
    I have a guy from another dept who has a FFL so it would be all above board.
    Lucky you for them letting you guys go to a 45acp. If you have big hands go with the G21 for Duty gun. Hard to argue with 14 rounds of 45acp on duty. Off duty you want a revolver? If so maybe a J frame airweight or scandium unless you want more power then check out that 7shot Scandium fullsize Smith the thing weighs very little but will fit your hand better. If you want a kick but subcompact pistol that is affordable and shoots like a dream try the XD subcompact 40. You asked about Kahr? Great quaility little guns I have a P40 I carry everywhere off duty and its a tad bigger than a 380 and lightweight with the poly frame. They also make a 45 subcompact now but the Kahrs usually start at 600bucks. The Kahrs are way thinner than the Glocks and shoot great. You have big hands you might want to consider the XD though. The off duty guns I carry are the following: Kahr P40, Smith3913,the Glock 27 the Kimber Procarry 11 and for my pocket when I just dont feel like messing with a holster a Jframe smith airweight 38spl with corbon ammo. As for places to look to get guns fair prices sent to ur ffl friend: Auction Arms.com/GunBroker.com/Davidsons Gallery of Guns/Gunsamerica.com. I usually get my guns In va way cheaper than yall do up there since Im a resident you just find whos direct with whichever gun you want. I got lucky with the Kahr and paid $400 for it at a country store. Im not sure on gun laws of you buying from out of state I think you can as long as it goes to ffl but check it out with him. If you can Pm me and Ill give you a bunch of stores I use down here that have good prices especially for L.E.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thanks Va for getting back to me!

I was first trained with a model 65 revolver as a SLEO II so I have a special place in my heart for good wheelguns. My first duty weapon was a S & W 469 which I optioned to turn in and carry a 5906 after I think paying $100. out of my own pocket. We went to Glocks in 1995 and that's when I got my current G22. The scanium model smith was one that was of interest to me.

I actually have been to a few shops over the years in Va. One in particular in Salem where they had alot of surplus stuff. I have also gone deer hunting in Washington County at the Va state WMA's like Clinch Mt, Hidden Valley etc. even some mountain outside of Wyethville with a radio tower (you can hear the Local PD radio transmissions coming from inside the repeater bldg..lol)

If you have a list of good places please do PM me. In NJ the pistol permits take forever to be issued ( I live in a NJSP Jurisdiction) but you can get them two at a time so I have time.

Thanks and stay safe.

Comment

Jersey, are you able to carry "Condition 1"? If so, you might want to look at the "Commander" length 1911s or (if you can find one) a used Star PD. They all carry 7-9 rounds (vs 6 for the revolver) and are much easier to conceal than the S&W revolvers due to being flatter. That big cylinder is very difficult to conceal. It forces the gun to print further out when carried on an outside the waistband type holster. If you use an inside the waistband holster, you have to buy pants which are larger than you'd normally wear. The slimmer Glock (single column magazine) in .45 (sorry, I don't know the model) should work well and if you like SIGs, the you should still be able to find a P245 (6+1) which is a cut down version of the P220. They were recently discontinued, but they're a good gun and quite a few are around.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
          Jersey, are you able to carry "Condition 1"? If so, you might want to look at the "Commander" length 1911s or (if you can find one) a used Star PD. They all carry 7-9 rounds (vs 6 for the revolver) and are much easier to conceal than the S&W revolvers due to being flatter. That big cylinder is very difficult to conceal. It forces the gun to print further out when carried on an outside the waistband type holster. If you use an inside the waistband holster, you have to buy pants which are larger than you'd normally wear. The slimmer Glock (single column magazine) in .45 (sorry, I don't know the model) should work well and if you like SIGs, the you should still be able to find a P245 (6+1) which is a cut down version of the P220. They were recently discontinued, but they're a good gun and quite a few are around.
          Condition 1 is not recommended for Off Duty carry here in NJ...the small glock .45 has a single stack mag and would probably be Ok with a Mag extension. I do like the Sigs and might look into the P245.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyshorecop View Post
            I do like the Sigs and might look into the P245.
            If you don't find one nearby, checkout Gunsamerica.com or gunbroker.com.

Good Luck!
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I actually carry the Glock 22 off duty. Full-size .40, and it's small enough to be unobtrusive. It fits nicely in a IWB holster, and conceals nicely. The benefit is 16 rounds in 1 sitting. I ONLY carry my S&W J frame as a back up, and not off duty with only a 5 round cap.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3962 users online. 233 members and 3729 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X